Amp/DAC for Denon D7000
Jan 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 27
e9 would be good.

denons tend to sound better out of solid state.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 27
No experience with the NFB-12 so I can't comment. No experience either with just the Music Streamer II, but I have heard both fronts, meaning the + does make a big difference and the other front of it not wrong the jump in price. Mike at headfonia reviews a ton of audio equipment, and he uses the MSII+ (which he loves) to test it against everything within the $300-500 dac range and even some of the higher end dacs. There is a reason why I haven't upgraded in a long time simply because I find the dac a great buy at that price point. Maybe get something simple now to hold you over and keep saving? Don't be cheap with a dac tho, if you plan on keeping the D7000 any SS amp will do in a pinch.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #19 of 27
Currently I'm thinking of two options. I have a few things I'd like to sell, which would end up at around hopefully $250. If I cannot sell them, I'll probably get my E7 fixed and pair it with an E9, or if I'd like to be a bit bold, I'll get the NFB-12. If I am able to get it sold, I'll be looking at either the D100 or (more likely) the Schiit Bifrost DAC. There is a lot of things I like about it. It's made in the US (nothing against China, but the last time I bought something from China, I was almost jipped out of $1000, and it took a few months to get it back). It's made by a company owned by some well known people who even printed on the boards a dedication message (daaaw), it has a 5 year warranty, a 15 day no questions return, and it is fully upgradable. Oh, and it's pretty. :D I'll probably hook it up to my surround sound receiver and use that as the amp until I can get a Schitt Asgard.

Anything I should know in regards to any of those options?

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #20 of 27
Finally found an existing thread that fits my same interests/concerns.

I also have a pair of Denons and I'm looking for my next purchase of either/or/both DAC and Amp.  I'm also within the $200-$300 price range.

I was originally planning on getting an Amp first and DAC later, but someone mentioned that a DAC first would make a bigger impact on the Denons.  What DAC's provide is way over my head, computer sound cards and portable MP3 players all convert digital to analog already so I find it hard to believe that some additional circuitry for several hundred dollars can do that noticeably better, but I admit I'm ignorant in this area and if people really think that money would be better spent there, I'd go for it.

Another thing I'm curious about are Hybrid Amps.  I've heard repeatedly that Solid State is the way to go for Denons power-wise, and that Tube Amps are too warm, but would a hybrid amp be the best of both worlds? Providing the power needed for low impedance head phones with the tweak-ability of tubes? I was looking at the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 and was really liking the idea of it, but I'd want to know if anyone thought they were still too warm for Denons?

There's been quite a few posts praising the Hi-Fi Man E2 which is similarly a hybrid Tube/SS/DAC.  I like that idea of getting everything in one up front and being able to upgrade with additional equipment down the line, but not sure if that would be getting an overall inferior product that can only do everything to a limited amount?

Then there's also the Matrix Cube which seems to have a very solid DAC and a decent enough built in Amp which would be easy to upgrade later, possibly with an M-Stage?

Then there's always the countless posts that say the E7/E9 is all you need for Denons, the portability is attractive.

The Budget DAC/AMP market seems to be getting flooded, it's really hard to decide which to go with and I've yet to find any comparison reviews to make it easier.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 27
Just wondering.  Could any offer any DAC/AMP's for the 400-500 dollar price range. :D  I've been searching and reading about SO MANY AMPS and DACS.  My brain is about to explosem.  Help...

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 27
Plus, the issues with the drivers being damaged or blown out seem to make me wary.  I shouldn't have to find out the hard way what an amplifier can do to my headphones.  Products should be made so that the use is facilitated to the utmost.

Quote:
Asgard for the amp.  Not sure about the DAC, Bifrost is great but probably out of the price range.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
Finally found an existing thread that fits my same interests/concerns.

I also have a pair of Denons and I'm looking for my next purchase of either/or/both DAC and Amp.  I'm also within the $200-$300 price range.

I was originally planning on getting an Amp first and DAC later, but someone mentioned that a DAC first would make a bigger impact on the Denons.  What DAC's provide is way over my head, computer sound cards and portable MP3 players all convert digital to analog already so I find it hard to believe that some additional circuitry for several hundred dollars can do that noticeably better, but I admit I'm ignorant in this area and if people really think that money would be better spent there, I'd go for it.

Another thing I'm curious about are Hybrid Amps.  I've heard repeatedly that Solid State is the way to go for Denons power-wise, and that Tube Amps are too warm, but would a hybrid amp be the best of both worlds? Providing the power needed for low impedance head phones with the tweak-ability of tubes? I was looking at the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 and was really liking the idea of it, but I'd want to know if anyone thought they were still too warm for Denons?

There's been quite a few posts praising the Hi-Fi Man E2 which is similarly a hybrid Tube/SS/DAC.  I like that idea of getting everything in one up front and being able to upgrade with additional equipment down the line, but not sure if that would be getting an overall inferior product that can only do everything to a limited amount?

Then there's also the Matrix Cube which seems to have a very solid DAC and a decent enough built in Amp which would be easy to upgrade later, possibly with an M-Stage?

Then there's always the countless posts that say the E7/E9 is all you need for Denons, the portability is attractive.

The Budget DAC/AMP market seems to be getting flooded, it's really hard to decide which to go with and I've yet to find any comparison reviews to make it easier.

I wanted to get my feet wet with an affordable amp/dac.  After some research and looking at my budget, I decided to get the Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp for $169.  I listen to my music mostly on CD's and vinyl, using vintage receivers from the 1970's, built in headphone amps in CD players and recorders and a newish Yamaha A/V Adventage receiver.

Although still in the burn-in period, my little EF2A hybrid amp has greatly opened up my D2000, 5000 & 7000.  Frequency response is better and tighter--especially at the upper and lower ends.  The sound stage is much expanded--most pronounced with the D7000--and musical voices/instruments have been pulled apart so that I can hear each of them without the sacrifice of musicality or being unnatural.  All of this has been accomplished with relatively cheap portable Sony and Panasonic CD players.  While I am sure that with a more expensive amp and better CD players, the music would be even more remarkable.  But for now--this is a good start.

Looking to the future--Shiit amps and the Matrix M-Stage are on my list

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #26 of 27
Would there be impedance mismatch issues with the M-stage? I've found one locally for a great bargain :)

Also what should I expect from the M-stage if I am upgrading from the E9? Sonic differences, sound stage, high/mid/lows, etc etc.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #27 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back