Amp/DAC for Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250Ohm
Oct 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alexyu0

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a desktop amp/DAC for my new DT990 250 Ohm headphones. It doesn't have to be one unit, the amp and DAC can be separate as long as it's under $350 total. Preferably something with a preamp would be nice too so that I can hook it up to my speakers but it's not a big deal since I can just buy a passive preamp separately. Also it would be nice if the amp/DAC is easy to pair with a good variety of headphones as my collection is still expanding. I would just be playing music from my MacBook Pro. I've heard a lot about the Schiit Modi & Magni, the O2/ODAC, and the Aune X1S? I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about those or other good/better recommendations?

Sorry, this is my first post on Head-Fi so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or left out some pertinent information!

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber and the Audio-GD NFB-15 are popular DAC/amp combos with preamp functionality.  The former is a bit easier to obtain.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 10
  I'm looking to buy a desktop amp/DAC for my new DT990 250 Ohm headphones. It doesn't have to be one unit, the amp and DAC can be separate as long as it's under $350 total. Preferably something with a pre-amp would be nice too so that I can hook it up to my speakers but it's not a big deal since I can just buy a passive pre-amp separately. Also it would be nice if the amp/DAC is easy to pair with a good variety of headphones as my collection is still expanding. I would just be playing music from my MacBook Pro. I've heard a lot about the Schiit Modi & Magni, the O2/ODAC, and the Aune X1S? I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about those or other good/better recommendations?

Sorry, this is my first post on Head-Fi so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or left out some pertinent information!

I like my Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, It's $250-$270 (plus around $46 for shipping).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Personally I think I would have spent more for the headphones, like the Philips Fidelio X2 ($275) and spend less for a DAC/amp (FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla).
But the NFB-15 does make a good investment for something you can use for years and years :)

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 10
  Audio-gd NFB-15 gets my vote as well. 

I like my Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, It's $250-$270 (plus around $46 for shipping).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Personally I think I would have spent more for the headphones, like the Philips Fidelio X2 ($275) and spend less for a DAC/amp (FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla).
But the NFB-15 does make a good investment for something you can use for years and years :)

How would you guys describe the sound of the NFB-15? Also, I'm a little hesitant about the NFB-15 just because I think I heard something about their quality control not being too great and having it shipped from an overseas is a little worrying for me as I feel like it could get lost in the shipping process, especially because I know Schiit has pretty good customer service and shipping/returning is easy. Are these concerns valid or is there really nothing to worry about?

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 10

How would you guys describe the sound of the NFB-15? Also, I'm a little hesitant about the NFB-15 just because I think I heard something about their quality control not being too great and having it shipped from an overseas is a little worrying for me as I feel like it could get lost in the shipping process, especially because I know Schiit has pretty good customer service and shipping/returning is easy. Are these concerns valid or is there really nothing to worry about?

Not sure how to describe the sound of the NFB-15, compared to other brands.
Maybe could describe the NFB-15 as more musical and the NFB-11 (Sabre DAC) as more detailed.

I've not heard anything about Audio-GD have quality control issues.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Just put in my order for the Audio-GD NFB 15, thanks for all the advice! Can't wait for it to get here 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 10
  Just put in my order for the Audio-GD NFB 15, thanks for all the advice! Can't wait for it to get here 
bigsmile_face.gif

I bought the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 about two years ago, sold it off last month and bought the latest NFB-15.
So I guess you could say I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back