AMP/DAC for Beyerdynamic DT880 (Premium, 250 Ohm version)
Sep 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Shrikee

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm a relatively a 'newby' concerning audiophile headphones.
This week I got my hands on a Beyerdynamic DT880 (Premium 250 ohm), and I quite love them.
However, I know that my USB Creative X-FI HD is not enough for this headphone  (http://uk.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-hd/1-19829.aspx)
I've read a lot about headphones, but almost nothing about amplifiers and DAC's ( I know a little bit, for example MusicStreamer II is a good DAC as I've heard ).

So I would like some recommendation on this equipment. I would be happy to find some relatively cheap equipment as the headphone itself was a expensive for me. Maybe later I'll buy better AMP/DAC to improve sound quality.

Question: Is the X-FI HD good as a DAC (temporarily), and would it work nicely if I only buy an amplifier? As I know tube amp's are recommended for DT880 as they are quite bright sounding cans, and they benefit from an amplifier that gives a warmer/more bodied sound.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 12
How do you know the X-Fi is not enough for the DT880s? Is there not enough volume or is it distorting or something? I have no idea how powerful the X-Fi is, so I wouldn't know myself.

To answer your question though, it should work just fine as a DAC connected to a good amp. If you're really on a limited budget, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The importance of these things often appears very exaggerated when you're new, IMO.

Also, if the treble on the DT880s is too much for you, I would recommend you start using EQ as opposed to trying to buy an amp with diminished treble response. EQ is free and completely customizable.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 12
Heya,

Pick up a Fiio E10. It pairs so well with the DT880. Fiio darkens the treble a touch, making it easier to listen to. And if you want to crank up the thunder, +3db to bass on a switch with no distortion, and it becomes so full and low bodied, great sounding when you want to get crunchy. It's only like $60 on Amazon. Cheaper used. Will drive 250ohm no problem.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 12
I just bought DT880 250 ohms as well but I have a pretty nice DAC.

Anyone have recommendations for an amp that won't be redundant with my existing DAC? Part of me is considering one of those sub-$100 tube kits but the more sensible part just says buy something solid state with a warranty.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I just bought DT880 250 ohms as well but I have a pretty nice DAC.

Anyone have recommendations for an amp that won't be redundant with my existing DAC? Part of me is considering one of those sub-$100 tube kits but the more sensible part just says buy something solid state with a warranty.

Heya,

Considering you have a DAC (which one by the way?), no amplifier is going to be redundant. However if you have a DAC/AMP combo unit, then yes, an amplifier can be redundant, but if it's not a very powerful amplifier it could be beneficial to get something else to output to. That said, Beyers are actually pretty easy to drive, the 250ohms does not pose a problem for most devices, even the most humble of entry level stuff can push them fine. A phone can make them have volume, not loud, but you get the idea. For the $150 range you could look at the O2 amplifier, which would be fantastic for your Beyers and all headphones in your future really. Alternatively, you could look into things like a Little Dot D1+ for a tube option. Or you could get the $50~75 mono tubes on Amazon that are generally ok. Or you could go with a Fiio E9 in the $100ish range for something with linear solid state power output.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 12
I've been into recording much longer than I've been into nice headphones, so I use the Cirrus Logic and Texas Instruments DACs in my audio interfaces and they seem to sound pretty good. I'm not sure any "pocket DAC" would be an improvement. I don't have any dedicated headphone amps (shame on me).

However, while the headphone amps in them have the power to drive my Shures and NVXs to hearing damage levels, they struggle with my K 240s (55 ohms, but only 91 db sensitivity). I've had to keep my K 240s plugged into my full size home theater amp/receiver.

Do you think the DT880s are easier to drive than the k 240s? The DT880s won't arrive until Monday-Tuesday.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 12
I have some store credit at sonic electronix and they have everything by Fiio as well as JDS labs.

Is there a big difference between the Objective2 and the smaller JDS labs/fiio stuff?

I got excited when I saw they had a Beyerdynamic amp ...... until  saw the price. Geez.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Is there a big difference between the Objective2 and the smaller JDS labs/fiio stuff?

Heya,

Some people may lose their cool about it, but, there's not a big difference between most amps frankly. Just like people seem to think you need a small nuclear reactor to power most inexpensive headphones to be mysteriously `dynamic.' My advice on amps is to get a solid state if you're new to amplifiers and don't want to have to buy another one any time soon, and don't get too caught up in the "you need this much power" to drive a specific headphone "properly." Synergy, I definitely have experienced and agree with. But I've had headphones on amps with gobs of power, and on weak little entry level things, and they frankly sound about the same, baring signature house differences of the devices. The only time an amp actually showed me it was not up to the task was when I had a Little Dot MK III hooked up to an HE-500 and the bass was clipping. It was severely under powered. Yet it doesn't clip and it sounds just as good on a simple Fiio E10 (speaking of the HE-500, yea, most people will turn up their nose to that concept...) and doesn't clip as my Lyr and NFB12. End of the day, it's your ears, try things and see what you think. I will definitely say, try not to over-spend on it. These are not speakers and do not need incredible amplifiers. You'll hear more difference from a new set of headphones than different source equipment.

Very best,

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm a noob with headphone amps but not really with amps in general. I think the amp is the most important part of a car audio system for example and refuse to use solid state guitar amps but that stuff is different... It's colored intentionally.

IT seems to really vary headphone to headphone, so maybe I should just wait until the DT880s get here to decide what I want. For all i know they might sound great with my Harman/Kardon and Pioneer integrated amps. The ohms are high enough.

My Shures retain the same sound signature whether they're plugged into a netbook or my Marshall 100watt other than the treble becoming smoother as power increases... but my AKGs... they sound so bad straight from a soundcard (weak, hollow, congested). I was going to return them until I tried them on the big integrated receivers then just fell madly in love with them.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 12
Just came across 2 threads raving about how each of my integrated amps sound with headphones -- specifically the DT880s--  so I guess I'll hold off on the solid state stuff for now.. What luck. Guess I'm waiting until I can afford a good tube amp.

-gives thread back to shrike-

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi everyone, i own a dt 880 premium and have paired with a Fiio A3/E11k amp. My phone has a HI-FI DAC chip so i didn't have to worry about dacs in general but now i'm thinking of upgrading my amp. Any suggestions how to get the best out of the dt 880 ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back