AMP + DAC combo for Fostex TH900 ? HELP!
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AudioThief

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

Budget is around 900$ max. I am looking for a amp+dac or just amp depending on cirumstances. Basically, I am more limited by the fact that new equipment is expensive and scarce, while used equipment is cheap but even more scarce. I cannot import because of insane import taxes in Norway.

Anyways.

I am looking at the following right now

Maratanz HD-DAC1 (NEW)
Fostex HP-4BL (NEW)
Burson Audio HA-160 (used)
Lake People G109P (NEW)
Atrox V2 (NEW)

Basically, I'm somewhat confused about what I should be purchasing. I already own the dragonfly red. I could use this as the DAC and then just get an amplifier. But if I can improve the sound by upgrading the dac, why not?

I tried a very high end Hegel H360 (4,000$ amp+dac) and it sounded fantastic with a very deep bass, awesome seperation and blackness. Lightyears ahead of my DFR. Now was this a combination of amp and dac being better, or just amp? Do I need to get maximum amount of power? Is it always better to get a standalone amp and a standalone dac and pair them?

The Atrox V2 is a 235$ amplifier which is extremely powerful - much more powerful than any other amp I've ever seen, home made by an engineer here in Norway. If power is what makes a good amp, then this is a good amp. It has also been called "dark" or with a full sound, with a lot of low end - which should pair well with the somewhat bright TH900.

So if a powerful amp will cover that part, I need a good DAC to pair with my TH900.. Now what would that be?

Or should I buy a combination? The marantz HD-DAC1 looks fantastic and has gotten great reviews, but am I wasting money on functionality i.e could I achieve the same sound quality or better with a powerful no nonsense amp such as the Atrox V2?

How important is it that I have a very powerful amp? The HP-A4 isn't really powerful, but has gotten good reviews as well and has both amp+ dac.

I am just very confused.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 11
Generally speaking, the difference between a $200 DAC and $1000 DAC not as audible as the difference between a $200 amp vs $1000 amp. My recommendation to you would be to get a stand alone DAC like the Topping d30 ($100 here in the US), which will handle almost any format thrown at it. From there, you can use the rest of your funds to find an amp that pairs well with your TH900.

Don't overestimate the power of an amp (your TH900 are pretty low impedance, so you're not going to need something incredibly powerful). What do you like about the TH900, and what don't you like about it? From there, check some reviews of amps that will slightly tilt the sound signature towards your preference.

I've heard good things about the th900 and the burson ha-160 though :)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Never tried all the amps/Dacs you've mentioned but I've had the th900 pair with bifrost + valhalla and loved 'em. Although, I am pretty sure the th900 can do better with other amp+dac.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 11
I like Lake People products. I have the V200 I use with the TH900 and love it.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Bump. I am looking for the same thing and figured I'd up this thread. My budget would be around $1000-$1500 used. Looking for a end-of-the-line amp/dac combo or amp + separate dac to pair with my TH900's.

I began driving the TH900's with a Burson Soloist/Resonessence Concero DAC which had great bass control and huge soundstage but was very fatiguing for any lengthy listening sessions. I sold the Burson and got a Chord Mojo and while it is has great instrument separation, and is fairly smooth sounding, it lacks the bass grip and fun factor. I'm ultimately looking for something with great bass, bass control, fill out the mids a bit, and be non-fatiguing without losing the "fun factor."

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Mojo and even the Hugo are great with iems, even with dynamic drivers but, for me, not great with headphones. I did enjoy the Fostex HP-4BL with the th900.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Every now and thrn I take my th900 to various audio shops and I try out some amp/dacs. From my denoes I would pick the Fostex HP-4BL cause of how it made the th900 sound. I mostly use my th900 on the go and I have been using the ifi Black which is a wonderful match. Im also using a Cowon P1 with an Arrow amp and boy it makes the th900 sound like a great floor standing speaker.

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 11
I’ve had the MHA200 for a few weeks now with the TH900 and am loving the pairing. The MHA200’s lush mids really helps balance the V shape nature of the TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back