Amp/DAC/Both for HD600s
Aug 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Well a friend of mine just scored a sweet bargain on some HD600's and well, I told him he should buy an external amp and he will do so so I'm creating this thread for him.

He's got a max budget of about $500-600 USD but would prefer to spend less.

I was thinking of the Audio-GD C-2C, but other suggestions are welcome.
He's got an Asus Essence STX atm so he's got the money if he wants to to say get an external DAC to replace the Essence STX, but only (my opinion) if it's proven to be signifcantly better than the STX SQ wise as I would recommend for him to upgrade the opamps in the STX, which is easy to do and a rather cheap good value upgrade.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I like the PPAv2 with Senns. I like the PPAv2 in general though so I'm a bit biased. The only problem is finding one or finding someone to build it if you don't have the ability to build one yourself.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 9
General consensus is that the Gilmore Lite has wonderful synergy with the HD600's. KICAS Caliente is another recommendation.

If he doesn't mind tubes, perhaps some of the more expensive Darkvoice or Little-Dot amps would work great with high impedance cans.

Occasionally on the FS Amp forum you can find a really sweet deal on something that you haven't even previously considered, like the HeadRoom Cosmic Reference amp I am using which has great synergy with the HD600's as well.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 9
I absolutely love how my Little Dot MKVse drives my HD580s which are practically the same as the HD600.

For $450 or so, it really is a great amp and Little Tube is a great company to do business with that will stand behind their product.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go w/ a Pico + EF2.. which cost me about $500. I have no doubts that the Pico destroys the STX. I use my HD580's with this combo and it's simply amazing.

I love my Pico as well, but unless you have heard the STX you should probably reserve bold judgments such as the Pico destroys it. That said, the Pico's DAC is good, especially for the money.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Pico as well, but unless you have heard the STX you should probably reserve bold judgments such as the Pico destroys it. That said, the Pico's DAC is good, especially for the money.

Good point, I have heard my friend's Auzentech Forte which FWIR, is the STX's direct competition. The Forte sounds great but again, no doubts that my Pico destroys it in terms of resolution and transparency.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point, I have heard my friend's Auzentech Forte which FWIR, is the STX's direct competition. The Forte sounds great but again, no doubts that my Pico destroys it in terms of resolution and transparency.

It's a competitor in terms of 'soundcard + in-built headphone amp'. Otherwise, it's not close to the STX SQ wise, particuarly if the STX has upgraded opamps, in which my friend has more than enough budget to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back