Amp creation and related newbie questions
May 11, 2007 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kyndig2

New Head-Fier
Ok, I was bitten by the DIY amp bug a few weeks ago... I immediately specced out a CMoy amp and had it assembled and working properly within a weekend. During this process I ran into a number of problems and annoyances that I'm sure everyone on here is quite familiar with!
eggosmile.gif

For simplicity sake I will just pour out my questions/problems/whining as a list:
  • I have had a lot of problems trying to hold things like wires to panel components while attempting to solder them. I have the "Helping Hands" from Ratshack and it helps, but I'm thinking that there must be some other tools that folks use to hold a couple of things in place so that they can make a clean solder join.
  • What are some good ways to attach a circuit board to the inside of an enclosure? I have a Serpac H65-9v case that I want to put my CMoy in but haven't figured out a way to immobilize it. I would prefer to not have to make it a completely permanent attachment just in case I decide to replace some of the caps or something.
  • I'm looking at buying a small Drill press to do case work, but have never worked with one before. What basic bits and such should I definitely look at getting to take advantage of the press effectively? Also does anyone have suggestions on any good, cheap ones?
  • Are there any good explanations of how amplifiers actually work floating around? I've been studying some basic electronics to try to get the basic knowledge, but I only sort of understand how the CMoy that I made works! I've been lurking for a few weeks just reading what others have done to get a better idea. It would just be nice to actually find a solid explanation of why these amps are being made as they are.
    blink.gif
  • Are there any compiles lists of small additional circuits that can be included in an amp? I'm looking for things like supporting multiple inputs, battery charging circuits, etc. I've seen information on Crossfeeds and bass boost, but most just mention of the addition of other features.
  • Does anyone know of some good tutorials on basic electronics. I've been going from the NEETS website from the Navy that I found a link to from Tangentsoft. Its extremely dry and not very well thought out for a web site.
    tongue.gif
  • (added) What are some decent ways to store the various small pieces and parts such as resistors, caps, diodes, etc? I'm really not happy with the small plastic drawers thing I have from Wal-Mart for holding this stuff!
    wink.gif

I'm starting to plan out building a Pimeta for my next project... There are just many things that I would like to figure out before I go and spend a bunch *more* money. Ya'll aren't kidding on this hobby getting expensive fast!
blink.gif

May 11, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 13
Get the art of electronics... best electronics text book I have used and pleantly related to amplifiers right off the bat.

IF your looking for something free then a basic grounding in electronics can be obtained from the As and A level course booklets here:
http://www.ikes.freeserve.co.uk/menu.htm
(although there idea of a good amp design sucks, but I suppose there is alot to fit in)

I don't know what everyone else does to imobolise there circuit boards but I just use my tools to weight it down and this works well for me. Only once while soldering very fine ribbon cable have I used a proper stand (tree with crocodile clips on it) this works well but I don't have the money to spend on unnecessary tools. When soldering it's alot easier if you start with the low down components (resistors etc) before the tall ones like capacitors.

cabinates can be obtained with many plastic draws for storing components:
http://www.rapidonline.com/productin...moduleno=28499
the best solution is a rotating carosell but there very expensive. I use cardboard boxes and bags as every penny saved is more components
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the tips guys! As I don't have a Dremel tool I believe that I will get the drill press from Harbor Freight that I had been looking at ($70). Now I just need to find "The Art of Electronics" and some Servo tape (I hate only ordering $3 in stuff if I can help it).

May 14, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 13
For storage I really like tackle boxes. The stackable single tier plastic boxes with adjustable compartment sizes. Get them at wally world pretty cheap. Here are some examples on the lower part of this page.
http://www.huntingfishinginc.com/tac...FQwzZAodTzxfAw
They also have the same sort of thing in the arts and crafts section for different uses.

May 14, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 13
For a drill press, I would recommend the Delta DP200 10-Inch Drill Press which is ~$100. I bought mine at Lowes about a year ago, but I don't see it on their website anymore. I looked at the Harbor Freight ones, but chose this instead. Runout is excellent on it as I have used it to drill PCBs with holes going into the #70 index bit sizes with no problems, including using carbide PCB drill bits (brittle).

May 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 13
try using hemostats aka mosquito foreceps for holding stuff together while soldering.

You can get 'em anywhere that caters to fly fishermen, for starters. Technically they're medical surplus. Mine came from ebay.

May 15, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 13
For attaching circuit boards to plastic cases, I use threaded nylon spacers and nylon screws. I believe Mouser has a nice selection of sizes.

I glue the spacers to the case, using a super-glue/crazy-glue kind of stuff (can't remember the generic term). Just make sure it's compatible with the particular plastic used in the case -- the package should tell you.

It' easy to attach the board this way... just attach the spacers to the board using the screws, sperad a small amount of glue on the opposite ends of the spacers, and press the board into place. Just a little preessure. and it grips quickly. I usually loosen or remove the screws right away to make sure they don't get glued by mistake!

May 16, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 13
For holding items for soldering, you can make your own stand from cheap parts (or parts you already have) without having to buy a 20$ pair of helping hands.

DSC00232.jpg

Alligator clips, wire running nail brackets, steel wire, heatshrink, and eye terminals. I went with 4 tentacles, you could make one with 10 if you wanted.
(Seen is my CMOY WIP on it)

For holding small pieces, samples of candy / jellybeans come with these stupid segmented boxes that are perfect for holding parts you are sure to lose otherwise.
DSC00231.jpg

As for the drill press, I actually bought one that works with a regular electric hand drill from Sears a while back, and it treats me very nicely. I'm sure you could find it on their website, they've been making drill presses for years.

May 16, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 13
Kool idea for a DIY Helping Hands!

May 17, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For storage I really like tackle boxes. The stackable single tier plastic boxes with adjustable compartment sizes. Get them at wally world pretty cheap. Here are some examples on the lower part of this page.
http://www.huntingfishinginc.com/tac...FQwzZAodTzxfAw
They also have the same sort of thing in the arts and crafts section for different uses.

I found a container like the Plano 1364 shown on that link at Harbor Freight for just $10. I'll probably need something a lot bigger before long, but it looks like a good one for handling the parts for one or two projects and a few tools.

Bones55: That DIY helping hands looks so damn cool that I think I'm going to to out and start working on it this weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back