amp burn in questions
Mar 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

orthikon

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody bought two amps of the same model, burned one in and did nothing to the other and done a DBT on it?

Mods please delete if this DBT thread is innapriopriate.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 16
O NO here we go again. another "burn-in" thread. Flamin' time!!!!!

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahah i knew i would get such responses...

i simply would like to know if some one who wants to prove or disprove burn in had actually done such a test.

There's nothing to prove or disprove. Read the builders' sites--Ray Samuels, Xin, and others all state their amps take XXX number of hours to burn in Then read Skylab, Headphone Addict, etc. they talk about burn-in being reality.

Then there are schmucks like me that believe it only because I THINK I can hear a difference.

Then there are disbelievers who poo-poo the idea.

Bottom line: everyone has an opinion and will be glad to share graphs, soundcharts, and heaven knows what else to support their concepts

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Oh, well I wasn't aware about this information. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm still curious to find out if anyone has tried it. I suppose I'll have to google the science behind it.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 16
Not to turn this into a two-person thread, but I do believe your point is interesting. so back to the basic premise: has anyone taken, say, a Hornet new, out-of-the-box and compared its sound to a Hornet with 1,000 hours on it??

Could be an interesting discussion

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 16
I think it would be very interesting to see the results. Not just to see what the difference is but what exactly changes and how the changes of the burn in effect the sound overall. (At least from a scientific perspective)

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 16
If not, perhaps you could be the first one out and share the findings with us...
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 16
It's a three person thread now.
biggrin.gif
I would if I could but right now that out of budget for this hobby.

Since most people already own a bunch of cans and amps they obviously have quite a budget for this hobby so $500 shoulnd't be much, they could always resell it. However, I would think that they would not post the results if the fail the test especially if they reviewed them and commented on how much better it got after burn in.

<flame suit on>

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 16
I would hope that ether side could be reasonable about the results...

I wish I had the monies or the knowledge to do it...

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 16
Caps form up in a matter of seconds after being powered up. If I recall, there's a formula you can use to determine the precise time it takes. As far as I know, resistors and chips don't need any time to form.

Instead of endless debate, have you ever wondered why manufacturers don't burn in their amps prior to purchase?

If burn in is so essential, then why not stick it on a rack for X amount of hours before shipping it to the customer? If anyone is planning to buy an amp that requires burn in, ask the manufacturer to burn it in for you.

If the manufacturer insists that it has to be burned in with your music, etc., etc., ask if you can get a refund if the amp is accidentally burned in the "wrong" way and doesn't sound good as a result.

Go ahead. See what happens.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If burn in is so essential, then why not stick it on a rack for X amount of hours before shipping it to the customer? If anyone is planning to buy an amp that requires burn in, ask the manufacturer to burn it in for you.

I agree with all of your other snipped points, but I think that some manufacturers do burn in their products. I know that it is commonplace in the speaker world, and I believe that RSA burns in their amps before shipping. Not that it matters or actually affects the sound, but it is worth noting.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 16
And how much money would that drive up prices, to have devices sitting around plugged in for that long "burning in" it is not like it could burn itself in when the customer buys it. This would just artificially inflate the price and for no real reason, sounds like business suicide to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back