Amp burn-in question
Mar 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
When burning in an amp (I just got a NuForce Icon Mobile) does the volume level play a role? I know when you're burning in headphones you're supposed to burn in at relatively high volumes (slightly higher than listening levels) - does the same hold true for a portable amp?

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Why don't you just listen to your new amp? You bought it to listen to, not to perform sacred audiophile ceremonies on. So listen to it.

If it changes, it changes. How will that affect your enjoyment if you hear it before the change? You can enjoy it either way.

Burn in is a ritualistic audiophile fetish.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 13
For headphone break-in, I use very loud and bass-heavy signals, whereas with amps I use moderate levels, supposing it doesn't matter -- although I'm not sure. In any event moderate levels seem to be enough to improve the sound of amps within a reasonable period (e.g. the Symphony took ~250 hours for full development).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you just listen to your new amp? You bought it to listen to, not to perform sacred audiophile ceremonies on. So listen to it.

If it changes, it changes. How will that affect your enjoyment if you hear it before the change? You can enjoy it either way.

I for one understand the sense of the «ceremony». Of course I always listen to new equipment from the first second on, but during pauses, over night and during absences I can let it play to accelerate the break-in/burn-in process. So the headphone or amp may offer full enjoyment after only 10 days instead of 30. Some people don't care, but I do. In such cases I'm impatient like a youngster.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Ha well I'm not refraining from listening to it, but when I'm not listening to music I figure it might as well be doing something productive, right?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 13
See what you started??? Burn=in vs. non-burn-in. Everyone has an opinion.

Hook it up to a radio that has an AUX outlet. Let 'er go for about four days, recharging as necessary. Listen to it when you aren't burning it in.

There are more sonic professionals on here that believe in burn-in than peeps that think it's all hooey. Professionals like Ray Samuels, Xin (OK he's not on here but you get the point) Jan Meier--not to mention trusted reviewers by the dozen.

you pays your money, you takes your chances.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. What I am saying is that it's a total waste of time to fuss over. Let what happens happen and get busy listening. That's why you bought it, isn't it?

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Everytime I've bought something in audio that has been held in high regard, I've been disappointed by it - straight out of the box.

I've decided NOT to listen to things extensively in brand new condition. Why? Because I get irritated that the sound isn't up to my standards. Later on, when the phones/amp/dac become more "mature", then I enjoy it...

So, to me, it's not just a fetish...it something that is essential.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 13
Exactly. It is a «waste of time» to renounce burn-in. Why reduce it to the phases you listen to the amp? I would understand if it's to save energy -- out of environmental awareness -, but just to live up to some puristic ideology it would be some sort of ritual as well.

The first few hours with my new Symphony were quite a bit disappointing. Without dedicated burn-in I could have expanded the phase of disappointment to about four weeks -- but why should I have done that?

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fundamental of amp burn in is to let electrical current to circulate through. In this regard, simply swithcing on the amp with all ports connected will suffice. The idea is to work the caps which will form in time

I've often read about the caps-forming scenario. Personally I can't judge if that's really the only component which needs burn-in. After all Jan Meier recommends letting the Symphony play with its built-in DAC as source. So there could be some more things happening than just the caps forming.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've often read about the caps-forming scenario. Personally I can't judge if that's really the only component which needs burn-in. After all Jan Meier recommends letting the Symphony play with its built-in DAC as source. So there could be some more things happening than just the caps forming.

Yes of course not just the caps. In fact I am a believer and practicioner of burn in for solid core silvers, opamps and resistors. But IMO the caps will be more apparent due to their substance.

Okay should I wear my asbestos suit now?
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back