Amp burn-in question
Aug 13, 2007 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering, do amps take longer to burn in if they are traveling approaching the speed of light? Or would they burn in faster or would they be burned in for you but not to the observer.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 19
Well we need someone who tried burning in amps when they're traveling near speed of light to answer this.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 19
I think the best thing to do is leave your amp burning in, then attempt to approach the speed of light. when you return, your amp is likely to be a little more burnt in than before you left.
:p

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 19
If the amp travels faster than the speed of light, you'd have a 2-week burned in amp 2 days ago!

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering, do amps take longer to burn in if they are traveling approaching the speed of light? Or would they burn in faster or would they be burned in for you but not to the observer.

But what difference does it make to the SQ?

Seriously, if you're looking for a serious answer, it isn't a valid question in a relativistic sense and there is no answer.

If you are next to the amp you will notice no difference.

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

The amp burn in would not be affected by its speed. The red shift of the sound waves will smear the sq and prat will be terrible to the observer.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 19
Why don't you just time travel to about three weeks ago, start burn in, then come back to the present, then wallah!, all done, way easier than all that speed of light stuff. everyone knows that you silly goose!

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

not sure but i heard that if you play marilyn mansons "the speed of pain" backwards, it halfs the burn in time normally required. not a lot of people know that!

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Based on Einstein's work, if the amp breaks in for a period of 4 weeks. while traveling @ 299,792,000 miles per second or a bit less than rhe speed of light. The amp will have been burned in 4 weeks, regardless of what time frame anyone percieves to have elapsed.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure but i heard that if you play marilyn mansons "the speed of pain" backwards, it halfs the burn in time normally required. not a lot of people know that!

It is rumored that playing 12" Disco Singles from the '80's will reverse the break-in process in case you burned it in too much with Marilyn Manson.

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on Einstein's work, if the amp breaks in for a period of 4 weeks. while traveling @ 299,792,000 miles per second or a bit less than rhe speed of light. The amp will have been burned in 4 weeks, regardless of what time frame anyone percieves to have elapsed.

Shoudn't that be 299,792,000 meters per second? BTW when I tried this, the bass was terrible and I had a headache for a week!

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zipdisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoudn't that be 299,792,000 meters per second?

No, 299,792,458
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zipdisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoudn't that be 299,792,000 meters per second? BTW when I tried this, the bass was terrible and I had a headache for a week!

Yikes! What a typo! At that speed it would be broken in before it was designed.
I think the 12" Disco singles make the headache worse at that speed too.

The 458 M/S was dropped to make it less than the speed of light but it never did work out.

How would bass sound when stretched at the event horizon of a black hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back