Amp Benefits?
May 14, 2007 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

emwonk

New Head-Fier
I'm just learning about amps, and need some help.

I have a Zen Vision W 60 GB, which I love. It is such a killer piece of equipment I have thrillled more each day. It sounds great with my E500s, which will very clean -- and loud enough to do damage.

Is there any point of getting a headphone amp with that setup?

On the other hand, I have an aging set of Sony MDRv6 (correct? $90 17 years ago) They sound great, but too soft. You have to jack the vol a lot to get usable volume.

So -- are amps for "inefficient" headphones, and not useful for my more-efficient ear-buds?

How about if two are listening? Will an amp help manage the signals or impedience better or something?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

May 14, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 19
An amp will make good cans sound better. They may accentuate the problems with lesser 'phones though.

Amps are not (should not) be about volume. They are about quality.

Beware - it's a slippery slope.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

May 14, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 19
Listen to GAD......He has spent major fundage finding this out. Ask him to show pictures!! Some nice pictures of headphone amps. Trust me!

May 15, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 19
Will an amp deliver better SQ than the internal amp in the Zen? I like the SQ from the Zen via E500 quite a bit.

I assume an amp is partially about SQ in full-size headphones the Zen drives only at full volume setting on the Zen, correct?

May 15, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 19
It depends how you set it up. If you just amp the current amplifier by getting a 1/8 to 1/8 adapter and hooking it up to an amp, the differences will be minimal and it may even be worse. If you get a proper Line out cable, the e500 turns into a totally different earphone. The treble isn't as veiled, the bass isn't boomy, and the mids are really slick. They also get a nice boost in dynamic range.

May 15, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 19
Hmm my advice is that you find a way to try an headamp and see if your dap and headphones can sound better before you allay your wallet ( don't trust head-fi, they're all disturbed ).

May 15, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An amp will make good cans sound better. They may accentuate the problems with lesser 'phones though.

They don't make poor source components sound any better either, just the opposite.

Quote:

Amps are not (should not) be about volume. They are about quality.

Beware - it's a slippery slope.
smily_headphones1.gif

That it is ... very slipery ....
600smile.gif

Oh, ... , almost forgot, Amps are definetly not about volume, most can produce enough volume to make you very deaf in a very short time frame, so go easy on the volume ... learn to keep turn it up until it sounds "right", then turn it down a notch or two ... , otherwise ...........
frown.gif

May 15, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 19
The things that I learnt about Hi Fi over 20yrs ago, equally applies here with headphone amps.

If you need to resort to adjusting the volume as a means of getting better
sound ( not volume ) then the problem is most likely with your amp.

But if you have a quality amp but a poor source component or output
device, it will make the good bits sound better and the bad bits sound worse.

Because there is so much choice out there in not only headphones, but now headphone amps, getting a synergistic match/combination is what many of us strive for !

May 15, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 19
Going from headphone out to amp to headphones will only amplify the headphone out. In other words, you are only amping whatever your DAP's DAC and internal headphone amp have done.

Going from a line out to amp to headphones will be an improvement, but you are impacted by the DAP's internal DAC as well as your amp's signature.

Going from a digital line out to an external DAC to an external amp to headphones would be the ideal, and you would have the most control over the sound you get. You would be completely bypassing your DAP's internal components with this set up. Not all DAPs have digital lineout, though.

If you are happy with your E500s, then there isn't a huge reason to change. If you are curious, you can certainly look into getting a line out adapter and a nice portable amp like Tomahawk, Hornet, Dr. Xin, or a Mr. X amongst others that I have seen recommended. The Hornet makes my E4c come alive with my iPod.

If you really want to listen to your Sony headphones with your set-up, then it sounds as though you might want to look into an amp, too. But remember, you will need a lineout adapter to go from your DAP to the amp. Don't buy an amp if you only intend to go from your headphone out to the amp. Then it becomes only about volume and not about improving sound.

JMO.

May 15, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 19
Isn't an amp there to provide headroom and not change or colour the sound coming from the source?

Therefore, the main idea of the amp (I thought) was to be able to supply a better transient response since many sources just don't have enough 'Oomph' to supply the neccessary attack on sounds to make it sound dynamic.

So, if you are coming from a Headphone out, (not the best) but at least you are able to supply more voltage or current if the transients are there. From a line out, you're avoiding the electronics going via the volume control and so getting a cleaner source sound to boost the transients. You're also taking the load away from the device and allowing an amp to take it.

Of course, if you have difficult headphones to drive, then it makes the use of them possible as well as long as you don't run out of power.

So if you have a poor source, I would imagine that the amp may produce a better transient response (If the source is able to resolve it) and so improve the sound in this way, but not altering the tone or timbre of what you hear.

Ian

May 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't an amp there to provide headroom and not change or colour the sound coming from the source?

Of course that's the plan, but only the very best amps are truly transparent.

I started because I wanted to drive high-impedance cans and my ipod couldn't do it. Then I noticed that they all sounded "better".

Then I needed to find out how much "better" I could make it.

Then I ran out of money.
wink.gif

GAD

May 15, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course that's the plan, but only the very best amps are truly transparent.

I started because I wanted to drive high-impedance cans and my ipod couldn't do it. Then I noticed that they all sounded "better".

Then I needed to find out how much "better" I could make it.

Then I ran out of money.
wink.gif

GAD

You ran out of money?????? Nice amps you bought! Which ones are you keeping?

May 15, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 19
Hi emwonk,
My friend has a pair of E500's and an Iaudio X5l. I have an X5L, Grado HF-1's, and a Portaphile V2^2. The Portaphile widens the small headstage a tiny bit of the HF-1's, and adds depth or thickness to the low end. It really makes a nice difference with the Grados. However, we tried the same amp with my friend's E500's and it was very difficult for us to make out a big difference. They sounded great all by themselves out of the X5L. I think it depends on the quality of the output stage of your player, which I am unfamiliar with. I have read that Tommahawks really improve the SQ of E500's, so maybe my example isn't relevant....
Good luck!

Ralph

May 15, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Well I didn't *really* run out of money.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still burning in the Hornet, but I've been taking one amp a day with me to work and making some notes. I'll write up my opinions soon.

GAD

May 16, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 19
here is where I am at a loss. I am not sure if my Zen Vision W has a true line out. It does have a 1/8 line out for audio and video to get the av signal to an external monitor via red yellow white rca plugs.

I can not see any sign of a digital line out....

Yes, the e500s sound good -- assuming precise insertion, which is difficult to attain sometimes. (I find the lamented bose noise-cancellers are really better on an airplane, but while I am happy to borrow ones from American Air's business class, I would not pay 350 for the noteworthy but not-really-accurate sound)

My amp interest stems from wanting to drive real headphones, but mostly SQ via e500. Sounds like e500 quality will be difficult to improve on the Zen W? Or we are not sure?

What about splitting a headphone signal? Will running two earbuds from one Zen work better amped? Or is there enough current in headphone out to handle it?

Thanks again,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back