amp and headphone for clip+?
Dec 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

danielghofrani

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there everybody!
I have gotten myself a Sansa clip+ and I appreciate that it can play flac, and I can put micro SD music in it on the fly. 
however I think it sounds very weak and flimsy and feeble. 
I am a broke student and my financial situation does not allow a pair of Shure SRH 840s and a fancy amp. 
I want a cleaner, more powerful sound. 
currently I am using Sony MDR-J10 earphones and no amp. 
what do you guys think I should do to get a good sound from my little sansa?!

does a Cmoy help?!
Thanks.
Happy New year! :)

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 15
Clip+ and Brainwavz ProAlpha/M1 would be my $48 ($28+$20) goto setup.  Skip the amp considering your gear/conditions.  

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Clip+ and Brainwavz ProAlpha/M1 would be my $48 ($28+$20) goto setup.  Skip the amp considering your gear/conditions.  

Thank you but I dont really get it, where is the 28$ and 20$?

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 15
Agree with Anaxilus. You will be better off with a better sounding earphone than an amp.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

You can buy a Clip+ 2gb for $28.  You can buy an M1/ProAlpha on special for $20.  The promotions come and go.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can buy a Clip+ 2gb for $28.  You can buy an M1/ProAlpha on special for $20.  The promotions come and go.

but I have a clip+ already, and I dont really like it. currently I am using Sony MDR-J10. it is OK for classical / opera, but it does not have the bass response that I want for pop trance and techno. 
is an M1 really THAT much better than the sony earbuds? is it going to give me strong and accurate bass?!

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Jan 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Anaxilus is right, you're better off finding a pair of headphones that have better synergy with the clip+ (or getting a different player) than getting an amp. I think the clip+ does well with better buds. I use TF10s with mine and electronica (mainly house or drum-n-bass) sounds great. I hooked my clip+ up to my PA2V2 and didn't notice any particular difference.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 15
OK guys, so then that means I should just get a pair of earphones. 
Pro alpha is it?!

right now if I listen to classical music, it is not transparent and accurate, the soundstage is way too narrow.
and when I listen to pop hits it sounds so muddy and scratchy, compressed, weak,... ok you get the idea :wink:  
for example in "We are who we are" I dont hear a clear and clean and thumping bass. it sounds like crap and if I turn it up it sounds like loud crap!!

I am not going to buy Sflo2 because I am suspecting that is it not that crazy good either.
If I have the money, I will go for a Hifiman HM-801, or I will go for a good desktop setup, because I do believe that desktop setups give me a better sound for the money and it is all about the sound for me. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm wondering if you could lay out your priorities a little clearer because it seems like you're thinking along several different axes at once. At the very least, it sounds as though you'd be happier with a different player than the clip+.

If it's all about the sound and you don't need the portability, you might be better off saving up to get a good DAC/amp and really good neutral headphones. This is completely outside my expertise so you'd be better off exploring the threads that talk about these components. 

I have read that people are very happy with the Fiio E7/E9 combo.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 15
If you're trying to look for better sound, I suggest going from small to big in terms of changes. Since you're budget-concious, try installing Rockbox on your clip+. Its free and tweaking the EQ might give you the sound you want. If that isnt enough, getting a new pair of phones should be next. There are many choices depending on your budget, look around in the IEM section. If you want cheap, the meelec m6/m9s are great choices for bass. If you're set on an amp, the fiio e5 is decent enough with bass boost and it pairs well with the clip+. Better amps can be had, but most are several times the price of an e5. I would suggest changing the clip+ last, as I find that the choice of headphones influence the music more than the DAP and upgrading it is probably the most expensive given all your available options.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 15
Thank you very much that makes sense. 
the thing is, I care a lot about my budget , but that does not mean I am not going to purchase pricey things when they are called for. 
I would rather get myself a good pair of headphone than buy 3-5 headphones in under 50$ and 100$ category, because I would eventually want to move forward.
you get my point?! I dont like to spend money on something that will be obsolete in a short amount of time. thats why I dont like to buy sflo2.
the reason I am keeping the Sansa is that I clip it to my shorts and work out, and it does not fall out.

some of my friends have Shure SRH840 and ATH AD700 and sony extra bass headphones. 
I am going to try those headphones with the clip+ to see if it makes any difference in the audio quality. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 15

See, I currently have a PA2V2 between my Pro 900 (32 ohms) and Clip+ (Rockboxed). I was concerned about double amping in this situation by either screwing up the frequency response (as far as I know the PA2V2 is flat just as the Clip+ is) or creating distortion and whatnot. 

Any thoughts on this matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back