Amp and Dac or a better amp and no dac?
Nov 21, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 29
Depends on your headphone drivers: dynamic 85amp/15dac, planar 70amp/30dac, and electrostatic 55amp/45dac. However, this is general and synergy can come into play as well. What headphones/ear speakers are you using right now?

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 29
Start with the $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle (US version, 1V) and if it doesn't give you the power you need, slowly work your way up the chain until you find something that gives you the power.

All digital audio devices have a DAC, otherwise they would not be able to play back any sound. Most dedicated headphone jacks (as in, not line-out jacks) also have op-amps. The main reason to avoid on-board sound is because of electromagnetic interference from the other components inside the device. You could be able to "hear" your mouse move on a PC or your finger touching a touchscreen.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 29
Start with the $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle (US version, 1V) and if it doesn't give you the power you need, slowly work your way up the chain until you find something that gives you the power.
I dont use an apple phone

All digital audio devices have a DAC, otherwise they would not be able to play back any sound. Most dedicated headphone jacks (as in, not line-out jacks) also have op-amps. The main reason to avoid on-board sound is because of electromagnetic interference from the other components inside the device. You could be able to "hear" your mouse move on a PC or your finger touching a touchscreen.
So should i not get the DAC and go for a nicer amp or get just one that can power for now to upgrade later and spend the remaining on a dac?

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 29
On my first setup and was wondering you all's opinion on whether its better to buy and amp and a dac or ditch the dac and use that money to get an even better amp

Depends on the actual split among what products. For example it's better to spend $100 on a Modi3 and send a cleaner line signal to a $250 Asgard3 than sending a noisier signal (assuming you can even keep it at 2V, instead of keeping it lower, it's not a flat signal, and then have to compensate by cranking up the amp) to a $400 Arcam RHead or Meier Jazz (I mean, there's no point to the Jazz' noise floor if the signal entering it has a higher noise floor anyway).

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 29
Depends on the actual split among what products. For example it's better to spend $100 on a Modi3 and send a cleaner line signal to a $250 Asgard3 than sending a noisier signal (assuming you can even keep it at 2V, instead of keeping it lower, it's not a flat signal, and then have to compensate by cranking up the amp) to a $400 Arcam RHead or Meier Jazz (I mean, there's no point to the Jazz' noise floor if the signal entering it has a higher noise floor anyway).
Ah okay, thats exactly what i was wondering thank you.
as for the split among the products, my budget is around 600 USD so ill definitely be running off some lower end things. Most likely a Modi/Magni or Atom Stack + whatever headphone i end up purchasing. If you can think of something better please tell me.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 29
Nov 21, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 29
If you can stretch your headphone budget a little more, then you can get the Hifiman HE-6SE Adorama Edition for $549 (follow the link below only to get the discount) and pair it with a iFi Zen Can Signature HFM and iFi Zen DAC Signature (Only 4 left!) to have a possible end-game setup:

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

https://audio46.com/products/ifi-zen-can-signature-hfm-headphone-amplifier

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Zen-DAC-Signature-Converter/dp/B08RZ9M7P
including sales tax (almost 10% where i live) this would be over double my current budget...
no can do sorry

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 29
Still a chunk over sorry, but i might be able to get that one
Ill see if i can find another 200 somehow
thanks for the suggestions

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 29
Nov 22, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back