Amp and Dac for DT880's 250 Premium
Jun 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bl3nd

New Head-Fier
Hello, just made an account to post this. So, nice to meet you all?
Couple of months ago i've been surfing head-fi looking for decent cans and i ended up buying DT880 (Premium 250ohm) and i am using it with a fiio e11 with my laptop and nexus 4. I am happy with the sound im getting even though i know that my laptop's internal DAC is terrible, just like my phone's.

After some research i found a good combo (Schiit Modi Dac > Any decent tube amp, like LD MK2).
I chose a tube amp because it takes the edge off the highs, and sometimes DT880's treble is too much for me.
I have two questions:

1) Is there a better DAC/Amp for the price?

2) Upgrading from a bad laptop dac and an e11, will the difference be big? More importantly, will it be worth it?

If there's a better DAC or Amp combo please tell me.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Couple of months ago i've been surfing head-fi looking for decent cans and i ended up buying DT880 (Premium 250ohm) and i am using it with a fiio e11 with my laptop and nexus 4. I am happy with the sound im getting even though i know that my laptop's internal DAC is terrible, just like my phone's.

After some research i found a good combo (Schiit Modi Dac > Any decent tube amp, like LD MK2).
I chose a tube amp because it takes the edge off the highs, and sometimes DT880's treble is too much for me.
I have two questions:

2) Upgrading from a bad laptop dac and an e11, will the difference be big? More importantly, will it be worth it?

I could see myself try a Schiit Modi > LD MK2 > DT880 Premium 250-Ohm headphone setup.

Is the laptop going to normally be in one spot? and just leave the DAC & Amp in one spot?

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

1) Objective Dac, is a nice alternative to schiit's. 

2) Upgrading from crappy onboard to a dedicated DAC. yes there's a noticeable difference. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I have two questions:

1- The modi is for $99, cant think of anything that beats it tbh.

2- Of course the difference is going to be noticeable, laptop soundcards are garbage.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 8
+1 for the Modi

I have the ODAC. Unless you need it's small size or want portability, the Modi seems an equitable choice from everything I have read about it.

And my experience with the ODAC is that it puts out better sound than any computer with motherboard audio, smartphone, or tablet I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back