Amp and DAC for AKG K712 Pro
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 48

Must be at least a year now. No plans to upgrade any time soon, if anything, perhaps an external DAC as I'm getting a little noise coming from my soundcard at really high volumes - nothing major though. Definitely no plans to upgrade the amp (Asgard) anytime soon as it's more powerful than anything I would ever need for headphones. That, and I love the look of it.

In terms of sound quality, I do believe I get a little more bass (perhaps cleaner bass*?) with the amp vs no amp with the K712s. It's hard to describe, but I do feel a difference there. It also most definitely can get louder with the amp (obviously :p).

Great. Now I think I will stick with K712 and Asgard 2 :D . Thanks so much. 

Quote:
Oh, you would love the Asgard 2. Don't worry about getting the Lyr.

Now if you are still thinking about the Lyr 2, in the same price range, you should consider the Meier Corda Jazz: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/jazz.htm

If you say so, then Asgard is enough for me. Thanks for your help from the beginning :D

How about the DAC ? Should I keep the DACMagic 100 ( 155 Euro, new) or buy an secondhand Bifrost ( USB, no Uber, about 280 Euro) ? 

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #17 of 48
How about the DAC ? Should I keep the DACMagic 100 ( 155 Euro, new) or buy an secondhand Bifrost ( USB, no Uber, about 280 Euro) ? 

According to their specs, the DACMagic 100 measures extremely well: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-100. Seems like it can convert the digital to analog without distortion within the audible range of hearing. So anything else? There are those who say that they can hear differences beyond that in subjective evaluations, when another DAC would have even better specs. Then, there have been DBT tests which show that is often not true. Given that expectation bias can lead one to believe it is better when it is not, you can't easily know for sure if you have bought a better product. So no. I personally wouldn't upgrade the DAC with expectations of better SQ. Better to save your money for extra headphones for your stable. Or maybe get you some powered speakers. The Asgard 2 has a pre-amp out that you can hook powered speakers or a speaker amp + passive speakers up to, and then control the volume from the Asgard 2.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 48
According to their specs, the DACMagic 100 measures extremely well: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-100. Seems like it can convert the digital to analog without distortion within the audible range of hearing. So anything else? There are those who say that they can hear differences beyond that in subjective evaluations, when another DAC would have even better specs. Then, there have been DBT tests which show that is often not true. Given that expectation bias can lead one to believe it is better when it is not, you can't easily know for sure if you have bought a better product. So no. I personally wouldn't upgrade the DAC with expectations of better SQ. Better to save your money for extra headphones for your stable. Or maybe get you some powered speakers. The Asgard 2 has a pre-amp out that you can hook powered speakers or a speaker amp + passive speakers up to, and then control the volume from the Asgard 2.

Great, correct me if I am wrong, to sum up, you think that I will have fun with Magic 100 and I should pass the Bifrost, right ? I might not buy a speaker , at least in the near future since I'm in dorm and I will bother others :D

In conclusion, AKG K712 Pro with Schiit Asgard 2 and DAC Magic 100 will make my day ? :D

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #19 of 48
Great, correct me if I am wrong, to sum up, you think that I will have fun with Magic 100 and I should pass the Bifrost, right ? I might not buy a speaker , at least in the near future since I'm in dorm and I will bother others :D

In conclusion, AKG K712 Pro with Schiit Asgard 2 and DAC Magic 100 will make my day ? :D

I'm saying that if you go with the scientific understanding of DACs, once you buy a DAC that measures well where any distortion is inaudible within the range of hearing, then a DAC that measures even better would offer no benefit to you. And if your DAC measures like that (and it seems it probably does), then it's as accurate as it can be. So what do you get out of a more expensive DAC. So I don't know if you'll have "fun" with it so much as I don't think it will help you to spend more money :)

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 48
I'm saying that if you go with the scientific understanding of DACs, once you buy a DAC that measures well where any distortion is inaudible within the range of hearing, then a DAC that measures even better would offer no benefit to you. And if your DAC measures like that (and it seems it probably does), then it's as accurate as it can be. So what do you get out of a more expensive DAC. So I don't know if you'll have "fun" with it so much as I don't think it will help you to spend more money
smily_headphones1.gif

Awww, I get your idea now. So you think that I should keep none of that and just focus to the Asgard + K712 , right ? Or do you have any suggest ? 
Sorry if I make you tired of explaining but I'm not native speaker and I'm confusing right now, hehe. 
atsmile.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 48

Agree completely here. In my opinion, the DAC should be last on your list and only if you aren't happy with your current soundcard. I think my earliest mistake many years ago was rushing into everything. My Asus soundcard is great... but the benefits were only marginal compared to the motherboards built-in sound. Headphones and Amps are definitely a more enjoyable upgrade for me.

The pre-amp output on the Asgard2 is a great feature as well - I'm using them as a pre-amp to my desktop speakers, it's definitely a good option to have handy!

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 48
Agree completely here. In my opinion, the DAC should be last on your list and only if you aren't happy with your current soundcard. I think my earliest mistake many years ago was rushing into everything. My Asus soundcard is great... but the benefits were only marginal compared to the motherboards built-in sound. Headphones and Amps are definitely a more enjoyable upgrade for me.

The pre-amp output on the Asgard2 is a great feature as well - I'm using them as a pre-amp to my desktop speakers, it's definitely a good option to have handy!

Agreed.

I see no reason to worry about a DAC right now unless you want to buy one just because, since you seem to have a good one.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 48
Thank you so much for helping me out guys. I truly appreciate your helps.
I ordered the Schiit Asgard 2 on Friday, hope to receive it soon :D . I will let you know how much I enjoy it later. 
Have a nice weekend and thanks again
o2smile.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 48
@eragon1307 I totally missed out on the detail that you're in Europe. If you haven't ordered the Asgard2 yet, I'd say get the Meier Jazz as suggested by cel4145, that way warranties and shipping will be easier for you. Meier's still on sale I think, and the listed price includes shipping and EU taxes if applicable; compare that with the shipping cost on the Asgard, and possible customs charges.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 48
  @eragon1307 I totally missed out on the detail that you're in Europe. If you haven't ordered the Asgard2 yet, I'd say get the Meier Jazz as suggested by cel4145, that way warranties and shipping will be easier for you. Meier's still on sale I think, and the listed price includes shipping and EU taxes if applicable; compare that with the shipping cost on the Asgard, and possible customs charges.

Thanks for the suggestion,but I found that schiit-europe.com has the Asgard 2, and the final price I have to pay is 267 Euro, which is cheaper than the Meier Jazz ( 345 Euro ) :D 

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #27 of 48
Hello, I'm back. I just received my Asgard 2 this afternoon. I'm speechless now. DacMagic 100 and Asgard 2 treat my K712 Pro so well. Not only the bass but also the treble are better. However, the Asgard 2 is too hot ( the outside temperature is 14 Celsius.... 
dt880smile.png
 ).

Thank you for your recommendation : cel4145, ProtegeManiac and pifidelity. Have a great weekend. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 48
Hello, I'm back. I just received my Asgard 2 this afternoon. I'm speechless now. DacMagic 100 and Asgard 2 treat my K712 Pro so well. Not only the bass but also the treble are better. However, the Asgard 2 is too hot ( the outside temperature is 14 Celsius.... :dt880smile:  ).

I understand about that. My home office doesn't have air conditioning, and in the summer, if I left the Asgard 2 on , it would certainly heat it up a couple of degrees.

Great sound, though. Congrats on the purchase :)

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #30 of 48
  Hello, I'm back. I just received my Asgard 2 this afternoon. I'm speechless now. DacMagic 100 and Asgard 2 treat my K712 Pro so well. Not only the bass but also the treble are better. However, the Asgard 2 is too hot ( the outside temperature is 14 Celsius.... 
dt880smile.png
 ).

Thank you for your recommendation : cel4145, ProtegeManiac and pifidelity. Have a great weekend. 

Well if it's 14 Celsius (is that a typo, ie 41deg C? we're barely into September) outside then the Asgard can add to your indoor heating as it will heat up the ambient air also. Oh and never take that for granted - I live in a tropical country where I usually wake up sweaty and sticky, and not from having any kind of action the night before. I have to go up to the mountains up north just to have a really restful sleep sometime in January or December, but then that's offset by the traffic since every other person on this damned island has the same damn idea during the holiday season.

In any case you only really need to worry about the heat if it's hot to begin with, which means it might actually get up to its thermal limits. However even a desktop USB fan on silent mode (ie like the stuff they sell for use on gaming consoles with rubber feet) can circulate enough air around the chassis. Keep some of those clear plastic stick-on feet handy also so you can flip it sideways (standing on the short side) to better expose more of the chassis to the air as the chassis acts as the heat sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back