Amp. Airline. Security?
Dec 30, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And be sure to consider the level of education and intelligence of the screeners. They probably barely made it through high school (if at all) and they're getting $8 an hour or something. So don't expect an enlightened attitude or a willingness to learn. Consider whether you could explain it within five seconds to a dumb child. It's pretty much like that.

I'm sure that's what people thought about me when I worked at mcdonalds and jiffy lube. I bet you like to order people around and say "tsk tsk" when you find something is out of stock in a store. I know lots of people (especially men) get off on feeling superior to others, and there's no easier way to feel superior than to assume that just because somebody has a bad job, they are dumb. That's a stupid way to think about people. Especially when I had much higher SAT and ACT scores and IQ score than most of my "educated" customers had.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 25
I've taken portable rigs (mp3 player + amp + a wad of cables) through airport security several times without problems. A couple times the person on the xray seemed to look at it longer than other stuff (possibly my imagination) but I've never had any questions. Last time I flew was on Christmas eve before the underwear guy though, so who knows now
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
And be sure to consider the level of education and intelligence of the screeners. They probably barely made it through high school (if at all) and they're getting $8 an hour or something. So don't expect an enlightened attitude or a willingness to learn. Consider whether you could explain it within five seconds to a dumb child. It's pretty much like that.

.....wow.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 25
Yeah, and I am stuck in Canada with a return trip which goes through the USA to arrive in Seoul. The problem? I may have to ship my camera, tripod and lenses. Talk about terror.

Still, I came for emergency on the 28th after all the ballyhoo about penis-chalk with: custom earphones, 3,5mm cables, one portable amplifier, my iPod, strange bullet-looking earphones: Final Audio. And still, everything was okay. Luck of the draw?

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can it get any worse? Read on.
Electronics banned on us flights - The Inquirer

Just wrong in all possible ways!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Why take it out on all us cellular phone, DAP, ... users when their security can not find explosive strapped to a mans body...

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #20 of 25
I've had minor problems with my H140/D10 combo. It looks suspicous with everything banded together if I'm too lazy to take it all apart. Nonetheless, they've always let me through with some additional explanation and/or explosives swab testing.

After this recent incident, I wouldn't dream of bringing it in the near term.

Whether the linked Inquirer article is correct or not, I do think there will be a backlash on all devices carried onboard.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people use amps on planes without problems, but there have been a few notable horror stories.

These are my rules:

Nothing DIY/homemade.
The smaller, the better.

My 3g nano/tomahawk rig is the cleanest, most innocent looking rig there is. Anything even remotely more complex looking (in other words, any other rig) is asking for trouble. Better safe than sorry.

I have flown a handful of times with my rig but I'm probably going to keep it simple next time. You won't be able to hear the difference while flying anyway.

x2, this advice is perfect. It is my plan as well, exactly (except substitute Shadow for Tomahawk). I have mine velcro'd so that RSA Engraving shows -- this induces the idea that it is a commercial product!

I never bring my iQube ... no markings!

Flew about 60,000 miles domestically and to London this year (a light year, thank the lord) and was never questioned.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Yeah, last year I brought my PA2V2 to Paris and back, and I had no issues. In hindsight, that amp is very DIY-looking and has no discernible markings whatsoever, so it might not have been the best idea, but it worked out.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 25
As a frequent flier, I too carry a micro amp, micro DAC, usb to SPDIF converter with all the wires, cases etc. oh yeah, and IEH's...
The thing that stops them is the spare batteries I carry...on long flights i might have 8 9-volt batteries to ensure I don't run out of power...
They don't seem to mind that I have these 'black boxes' with switches etc. but have batteries? Let's search his bag...
On top of all this is I carry diabetic supplies...which includes needles...and lots of them. But they never have even asked about them.

Go figure...

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 25
Over the last few years airport security have always seemed more interested in my shoes than my electronics. I suppose recent events may change that a bit (however illogical that may be; the chap had loaded underpants as far as we can tell, not a dodgy headphone amp!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back