Amp Advice for New HD600
Jan 21, 2015 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nick727

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know there's a million threads regarding this type of advice (I've researched!) But my situation is a little unique.

Anyway, yesterday I went to B&H in Manhattan (A pro-audio/video/photography store). They had a wall with hundreds of headphones to try, I didn't go in with the intention to buy new headphones but I listened to everything from $100 all the way to HD800's. For some reason, I fell in-love with the HD600's and bought them on the spot.

This is my first high-impedance headphone and I currently don't have an amp for it. My computer's motherboard has on-board ALC 898 audio (Gigabyte z77-UD5H) and claims a "built-in amp" on the motherboard. It seems like at half-volume, it gets as loud as I would ever want it to go.

And so, given my motherboard's audio, would a amp really make THAT much of a difference? Also I'd like to try stay sub <$100 for now, if possible. I was eye-balling the FiiO E10K, but couldn't find and reviews on how they power the HD600's. Thanks in advance everyone!

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I have an E10K and it drives the 600's fine. But to be honest if your soundcard gets the volume as loud as you could ever want you're fine. The biggest instant upgrade to sound quality is a good headphone or speaker and you've already gotten that taken cared of. :) Things like amps and dac's get you smaller incremental improvements but some people might not be able to hear a difference.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 10
I think you'll want a better DAC circuit and better amp for the HD600s in the long run.
But $100 is probably too little to allocate.  Probably.

I'd say to go ahead and enjoy your new headphones with what you've got for now --
and save up. :)

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 10
  Hey guys, I know there's a million threads regarding this type of advice (I've researched!) But my situation is a little unique.

Anyway, yesterday I went to B&H in Manhattan (A pro-audio/video/photography store). They had a wall with hundreds of headphones to try, I didn't go in with the intention to buy new headphones but I listened to everything from $100 all the way to HD800's. For some reason, I fell in-love with the HD600's and bought them on the spot.

This is my first high-impedance headphone and I currently don't have an amp for it. My computer's motherboard has on-board ALC 898 audio (Gigabyte z77-UD5H) and claims a "built-in amp" on the motherboard. It seems like at half-volume, it gets as loud as I would ever want it to go.

And so, given my motherboard's audio, would a amp really make THAT much of a difference? Also I'd like to try stay sub <$100 for now, if possible. I was eye-balling the FiiO E10K, but couldn't find and reviews on how they power the HD600's. Thanks in advance everyone!

I'd echo blse59's comments. The E10K will drive them just fine (I have the older E10 and it was fine for me when I owned the HD600.)

There's no way to know that buying an external DAC and/or amp will offer an improvement over your onboard audio without trying, I'm afraid. My guess is it will be an improvement in terms of providing a cleaner signal / reducing distortion. Whether you can hear the improvement is another matter. Maybe buy from somewhere with a good returns policy so you can send it back if you don't feel you're getting anything extra from it?

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I agree with blse59; if you've got the volume, and there's no noise or interference you notice, then you're fine with the sound card. I use my ALC892 as my source, and just a little Magni to amp my HD800, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 600 could go external-ampless.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 10
  I agree with blse59; if you've got the volume, and there's no noise or interference you notice, then you're fine with the sound card. I use my ALC892 as my source, and just a little Magni to amp my HD800, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 600 could go external-ampless.

If he's using software volume control at 50%, a better DAC-HPamp with a lot less distortion that can keep the software level at 100% can have audible differences, but of course not a guarantee.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 10

From my understanding the HD600 improve with the more powerful the headphone amplifier.
So the E10K might not make a big noticeable difference.

I would say to hold off until your ready to spend over $200 for an external DAC/Amp for the HD600.
Like the Schiit Modi/Magni DAC/amp ($198+tax+shipping).

Maybe a Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (used $140).

Might try reading up and asking questions on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 10

From my understanding the HD600 improve with the more powerful the headphone amplifier.

More important is a very low THD and a blacker background (on both DAC and amp) compared to the motherboard audio - if it's loud enough at 50% software volume control then there's enough power to get it loud enough. Lower distortion though can mean tighter bass, and if the DAC and amp have a blacker background (along with using all 16bits of the audio), it can mean audible improvements in the dynamic range. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 10

If he's using software volume control at 50%, a better DAC-HPamp with a lot less distortion that can keep the software level at 100% can have audible differences, but of course not a guarantee.

In very dynamic music perhaps, but with software volume typically appending to 24 or 32 bits (in reality more like 20-21 actual bits), you won't lose much until low volume levels, and even then if your music isn't very dynamic you won't notice anything anyway.

Some hashing out here, if OP is interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/671220/effective-number-of-bits-or-why-you-have-to-keep-software-at-full-volume-is-nonsense

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll hold off for now, enjoy my new headphones, and down the road get a decent amp. It's just hard to spent $200 or more on something that may or may not make a huge difference if you know what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back