Amp Adding Reverb?
Mar 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
I was just listening to some music last night, and I haven't put many hours into my new little audio system yet (iPod Touch + Starving Student MiniMillett + HD280 Pro's / AKG K701's) and when I listen to lossless stuff everything seems to have a lot more reverb than I ever remember to it.

Is this just the way that the music is recorded? Is there any chance that there could be something wrong with a piece of the system that would add reverb? Seems totally unlikely to me, but I'm just a bit overwhelmed by this whole "HD" audio stuff.

Overwhelmed / in love that is.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExplosiveDuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just listening to some music last night, and I haven't put many hours into my new little audio system yet (iPod Touch + Starving Student MiniMillett + HD280 Pro's / AKG K701's) and when I listen to lossless stuff everything seems to have a lot more reverb than I ever remember to it.

Is this just the way that the music is recorded? Is there any chance that there could be something wrong with a piece of the system that would add reverb? Seems totally unlikely to me, but I'm just a bit overwhelmed by this whole "HD" audio stuff.

Overwhelmed / in love that is.

Reverb present in recordings is more apparent to the listener through high resolution phones than it may perhaps be through speakers, given the isolation headphones provide. Speaker interaction with a room plus the distance a listener is from the sound source may mask some reverb, whereas in phones it becomes readily apparent.

There are all sorts of things buried in recordings that a quality headphone rig will unearth.

Enjoy!

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 4
I agree with that answer, but i also want to add that i think Ipods in general seem to sound processed, clinical, and kind of impart a reverby affect to the sound to me.
Theyre not neutral. They have the "Ipod Sound" to me.
My Ipod sounds like that through my Millet or anything also.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 4
Not all iPods sound the same though. 2nd gen Touch are quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back