AMON ZEUS a polymorphic reference system
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kintsaki

500+ Head-Fier
Following up on my thread "Ulysses and Sirens" I would like to share with you a new idea for a polymorphic system "AMON ZEUS". (named after the polymorphus king of Greek Gods that helped Ulysses to reach home)

Many Head-Fiers with different tastes would like to explore and find the ultimate system. But there are many genres of music and more different mood states of mind......

and then of course the multiple dilemas....
analog/digital, tube/solid state/T amps, flat/equalized, dynamic/electrostatic, full sized/canals/buds

Inspired by Sony's stock buds that have a double firing nozzle scheme I came up with the idea to build a system with the Baby Stax (without sleeves) and a full sized headphone on top of them. the sets are independently driven by separate amps and the program material is independently equalized and shaped by the Revelation system with the post mastering software.

Below is a block diagram of the system utilizing my collection of hardware. I may almost be home to "Ithaca" but this system is going to keep me busy for a long time to figure out my preferences according to my moods. I will not rush into opinions for a while....

AMONZEYS.jpg

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 4
If I understand correctly you are planning to add at least two extra complicating factors by combining a full size phones / amp combination with baby Stax?
Interesting, but I personally don't see a lot of synergy in the components you mention (Prehead/D2000??? and then combined with baby Stax???).
But that can be because I have no idea about this "revelation" box you mention. What is it? (some sort of mixer / equalization I imagine?)
All other components (except the Stax amp) I own or have owned (I sold the D2000, didn't like it).
I am curious about your results though, and experimenting is always fun
biggrin.gif

Oh, and ZEUS won't appreciate the typo...

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 4
The baby Stax with the Omega on top is the best for me. Then the baby Stax with Denon.
MarkL was right to say the Denon with his modes is up there with the R-10 the best dynamic set.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 4
The Revelation as reviewed by six moon audio is more or less the best source that money can buy.
It is based on the Lynx professional post mastering PC based system. It is capable of recording the analog output of any analog or digital system and playing it back so that it is not distinguishable from the original. In addition it can drive three way speaker systems or dual headphone systems for that matter with totally independent digital shaping. Its jitter is so low even through the hostile PC environment that it is used as a measuring jitter instrument.
and currently it is well under 1000$.
Of course you need a PCI slot but that is a given.
Legal software is optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back