Amletic question!
Jul 9, 2009 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

acvtre

100+ Head-Fier
I'm searching for a good portable headphone amp to use it with my cowon D2.
I've thought 2 configurations: ibasso D2-boa and the ibasso CB01 interconnect cable or the headroom bithead with another cable.
Any advice? are there better amp/dac usb at the same price?

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 23
The d2 is getting, well its an old model. I'd upgrade to the D3, if not the D10, but thats alot of extra cash. The D3 is something like 60$ more? I believe that thats really worth it. Sorry bout ur wallet. Maybe i misunderstood but isnt Cowon D2 just a source? And if ur gonna be using that, why do you need a DAC?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The d2 is getting, well its an old model. I'd upgrade to the D3, if not the D10, but thats alot of extra cash. The D3 is something like 60$ more? I believe that thats really worth it. Sorry bout ur wallet. Maybe i misunderstood but isnt Cowon D2 just a source? And if ur gonna be using that, why do you need a DAC?

Thank you for the advice. Yes the D2 is the main source but I think I'll use also the pc. This is why I'd buy an amp/dac combo.
If i needed only the amp, I think I'd buy a meier audio XXS. As i said, looking to the future, in order to satisfy every need could be better the combo.
Do you think that the cable is sufficient or there is something better? Do you think is better buying only the amp and then a separate DAC?

P.S.: sorry for my english.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 23
I havent tried the CBo1, just the cbo3, same but just with a LOD instead of mini to mini. I guess u cant use a lod on your Cowon, but still though i have heard of people having the cable without the LOD saying that there is much more detail. I would buy an amp/dac if i were you, and maybe in the future buy another amp to use with ur amp/dac. For instance using a P3(+) AND your D2 Boa in the same rig(fit that in your pocket^^). What headphones will you be using, as the D2 Boa might have trouble powering the big ones. If i were you, id get the D3. There is nothing thats actually better on the D2 than the D3, and the D3 have gotten a lot better reviews. It should be almost the same as the P3+, which is very good.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

I havent tried the CBo1, just the cbo3, same but just with a LOD instead of mini to mini. I guess u cant use a lod on your Cowon, but still though i have heard of people having the cable without the LOD saying that there is much more detail. I would buy an amp/dac if i were you, and maybe in the future buy another amp to use with ur amp/dac. For instance using a P3(+) AND your D2 Boa in the same rig(fit that in your pocket^^). What headphones will you be using, as the D2 Boa might have trouble powering the big ones. If i were you, id get the D3. There is nothing thats actually better on the D2 than the D3, and the D3 have gotten a lot better reviews. It should be almost the same as the P3+, which is very good.

Well, now i use AKG k240 mkII, sennheiser ie6 and maybe sooner or later I'll buy a pair of sennheiser px100 with the earpads of the px200. So the impedance is not so high at the moment, but....at the moment.
You have also to consider that I live in Italy and maybe you have to pay custom duties, so the cost could increase a bit.
At the same price of the D2 boa I could get a headsix which is very good, as I read in some reviews. It is also true that in this period I use as source only my cowon.
About the cable, you think the CB01 is good enough, right?

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 23
The cable is definetly worth it as you get 2 products but just one shipping. Havent tried, or know much about the headsix, if its as good as you say, i say go for it. Try comparing the reviews of the headsix to the reviews of the D2 Boa.

Still though, I stand on mine, saying that the D3 is a worthwhile upgrade

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

The cable is definetly worth it as you get 2 products but just one shipping. Havent tried, or know much about the headsix, if its as good as you say, i say go for it. Try comparing the reviews of the headsix to the reviews of the D2 Boa.

Still though, I stand on mine, saying that the D3 is a worthwhile upgrade

Because of the headsix SQ, you have to compare it with the D3 and the headsix is still superior, even though only for a little. It also lasts about 100 hours like the D3 but uses only one battery. In case that I buy the headsix, do you have a good usb DAC to suggest?

EDIT:
Now I've got another problem. The headsix (= corda XXS) or the corda 3move with the cable QABLES? You can see everything in the website of meier-audio.
The 3move is heavier but it has the usb DAC and the incorporated crossfeed. I'd also have to add 70€.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse my ignorance, but what does amletic mean?!

It's a way of saying. The amletic question is "to be or not to be...", this is an existential question. Using this mean I say that I have an important question.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 23
ur saying that the headsix isnt a amp/dac?
since u need a DAC as well? then just get the P3+ it beats the D3 by a little making it as good as the headsix, if not better + u get free shipping on your cables

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

ur saying that the headsix isnt a amp/dac?
since u need a DAC as well? then just get the P3+ it beats the D3 by a little making it as good as the headsix, if not better + u get free shipping on your cables

Ah nice. And what do you think about this possible rig: corda XXS and sooner or later corda usb DAC and CROSS1 (= passive crossfeed).

EDIT:
Help me understand. You buy a P3+ and the ibasso gives you a handful of opamps in order to change them by yourself, is it right? Does it worth? Are the opamps good?

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah nice. And what do you think about this possible rig: corda XXS and sooner or later corda usb DAC and CROSS1 (= passive crossfeed).

EDIT:
Help me understand. You buy a P3+ and the ibasso gives you a handful of opamps in order to change them by yourself, is it right? Does it worth? Are the opamps good?

The opamps on the original P3, were decent, but those on the P3+, are really good. Some of the real audio lovers didnt even care buying any. They give u a manual on how to change them, so lets say after a while u start listening to electronica, change the opamps for more bass. I mean you really get alot for 200$. You even get 2 covers for it.

I dont know how much u use your computer for listening, so thats really what decides whether u want an amp now, and buy a DAC later, or buy a combo. I dont really get why ud use a pc unless u need hella lot of storage. Me, i just plug my ipod into the computer so it charges and listen to it from there. Or wherever i am.

Another thing is that ibasso has great shipping. Took me like 4 or 5 days after order to have it in the mail.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #13 of 23
What does it mean that the p3+ can load mono or dual opamps? What are the buffers and the ground?
Sorry for my ignorance but this will be my first headphone amp and I'm a noob.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 23
the opamps, buffers and ground are all inside the amp. I'm not a professional, but meaning that you can change them, means that you can change the sound to your liking. You can start a thread if you want asking what you should change/keep to get the sound you want.

And if you'd ever want an upgrade you can buy other opamps etc. I'm sorry im pushing your money here ..heh, but the D10 does have a DAC, optical, Coax, Its a great amp, and you can change the things inside.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 23
I'm almost decided tu buy a p3+. I hope the last question: does the p3+ cost how it worth or the cost is exagerated?

P.S.: do you think that the head direct RE0 are better than my sennheiser ie6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back