American History X
Sep 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 24
American History X was great. Requiem for a Dream was a work of art. Depressing as hell and flawed, but still a work of art.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, you telling me you didn't enjoy being shocked by that last scene with Jennifer Connelly
very_evil_smiley.gif

If I'm thinking about the same thing you're thinking about, then I'm pretty sure that wasn't Connelly.

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 24
American History X has been one of my "Top Ten" favorites since it was released. I always recommend it to people that tell me that they haven't seen it. What great performances across the board. The message of that movie is one that everyone should be exposed to and think about. Unfortunately, there are many people that NEED to see that movie but never will...

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 24
Is this movie preachy? I haven't seen it yet, but one of the reasons I've stayed away is because from what I've read, it just seems like it would be preachy. It's not just the subject (racist man learns not to be racist) but also the title, which seems to insinuate the idea that racism is American history in microcosm. Seems a little heavy handed and didactic to me. Is it really as preachy as it sounds?

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this movie preachy? I haven't seen it yet, but one of the reasons I've stayed away is because from what I've read, it just seems like it would be preachy. It's not just the subject (racist man learns not to be racist) but also the title, which seems to insinuate the idea that racism is American history in microcosm. Seems a little heavy handed and didactic to me. Is it really as preachy as it sounds?

I really never considered the film to be preachy. The film title comes from the principal of the high school in the story. Ed Norton's brother is kicked out of his history class by the teacher as he continues to "follow in his brother's footsteps," and espose his racist, skinhead philosophy. The principle decides to teach the brother history. He calls this one teacher, one student course "American History X." Norton's brother is assigned to write his brother's story.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really as preachy as it sounds?

And how. Let me be the turd in the punchbowl and say that American History X is one of the most overrated movies of the last ten years. About as subtle as an after school special, and Edward Norton's "crying" scene in the bathroom at the end was about the most forced and fake acting performance I have seen.

If you want to watch a genuinely good rumination on race in the United States, watch In the Heat of the Night, which includes the classic line "They call me Mr. Tibbs!", or The Believer. Ryan Gosling's turn as a self-hating Jew is well ahead of Norton's performance.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 24
I don't know, I kinda liked American History X. Predicatable? maybe. Preachy? Kinda sorta. Entertaining and thought provoking? Oh yeah, definately! The curb scene is worth the price of admission. If it is overrated it is only because this movie hit the masses and made the masses think. I thought Norton's acting was pretty good, but the dude that played his little brother (who was that?) did an even better job.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 24
American History X is definately one of my favorite movies, I'm actually thinking about popping it in after the Nebraska game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the dude that played his little brother (who was that?) did an even better job.

Edward Furlong of Terminator 2 and Detroit Rock City

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by macky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edward Furlong of Terminator 2 and Detroit Rock City

T2, yeah you're right! Forgot he was in that. He's a great actor.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 24
I watched The Boondock Saints based on recommendations in this thread... holy crap what a great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back