AME Custom: Argent, Radioso, Gravitas impressions thread
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #31 of 42
For me it's a toss-up between the MEST or the Radioso...

Me too, especially since I could go used with a Radioso I found or buy the MEST new for a bit over my hard line budget cutoff.

Anyone have experience with both? I listen to pretty much all music except country and like a neutral-warm, resolving but not boring, and realistic presentation overall. A IEM that is described as having a good sound stage (especially depth) is a plus since the sound stage of IEMs is my main issue with them (and even with headphones in general as it effects the realism of music).

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #32 of 42
Me too, especially since I could go used with a Radioso I found or buy the MEST new for a bit over my hard line budget cutoff.

Anyone have experience with both? I listen to pretty much all music except country and like a neutral-warm, resolving but not boring, and realistic presentation overall. A IEM that is described as having a good sound stage (especially depth) is a plus since the sound stage of IEMs is my main issue with them (and even with headphones in general as it effects the realism of music).
Radioso has a great stage with excellent width and good depth. Vocals are slightly back of neutral. The sound isn't warm or cold. The estats give great realism and imaging and the dynamic driver gives nice impact on drums. The estats present treble smoothly but with excellent detail and timbre.

I haven't tried the MEST.

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #33 of 42
Radioso has a great stage with excellent width and good depth. Vocals are slightly back of neutral. The sound isn't warm or cold. The estats give great realism and imaging and the dynamic driver gives nice impact on drums. The estats present treble smoothly but with excellent detail and timbre.

I haven't tried the MEST.

That scares me lol. I like vocals either balanced in the mix or slightly forward. One of the main problems I have with the Arya is that I find the vocals (and mids) kind of recessed; one of the things I like (really like) about the Blessing2's is that both are more forward without being shouty (at least with the right tips). The MEST are supposed to be more vocal oriented while also retaining a good sound stage.

I have little doubt that AME's offerings are good to very good, but considering the price new for the IEMs I'm interested in (I do hate to buy used), and the relative lack of info. about them compared to UM IEMs, particularly the MEST, as well as the price of a new MEST, the choice for me is fairly clear.

I also want to try the bone conduction tech. as one of the things I dislike about headphones of all sorts is the lack of feeling the music such as one gets with speakers. I'm not a basshead, nor do I listen to music particularly loud, but the visceral feel of sound waves at even low to moderate volumes really helps immerse me in the music, making it more "real".

Thanks to all commenters in this thread, and if I am disappointed in the MEST and decide to try an AME in the future I'll be back! :smile_phones:

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #34 of 42
That scares me lol. I like vocals either balanced in the mix or slightly forward. One of the main problems I have with the Arya is that I find the vocals (and mids) kind of recessed; one of the things I like (really like) about the Blessing2's is that both are more forward without being shouty (at least with the right tips). The MEST are supposed to be more vocal oriented while also retaining a good sound stage.

I have little doubt that AME's offerings are good to very good, but considering the price new for the IEMs I'm interested in (I do hate to buy used), and the relative lack of info. about them compared to UM IEMs, particularly the MEST, as well as the price of a new MEST, the choice for me is fairly clear.

I also want to try the bone conduction tech. as one of the things I dislike about headphones of all sorts is the lack of feeling the music such as one gets with speakers. I'm not a basshead, nor do I listen to music particularly loud, but the visceral feel of sound waves at even low to moderate volumes really helps immerse me in the music, making it more "real".

Thanks to all commenters in this thread, and if I am disappointed in the MEST and decide to try an AME in the future I'll be back! :smile_phones:
1595318062445.png

That is the MEST's bone conduction driver frequency response. I don't think it is going to give 'that visceral feel'. It doesn't have any bass. It's the dynamic driver that gives you that feel in the Radioso and it is likely to be the same on the MEST. Something to note: best tips for Radioso are the AZLA Sedna Earfit Xelastec (find on Amazon.co.jp). They tighten and extend the bass and give the whole sound more dexterity. They also mold to your ears and give a secure, custom-like fit.

This is the frequency response of the MEST that I was able to find here on HeadFi. It looks like the Mids will sound a bit recessed on it.

1595318718690.png

This is the Radioso (from their website).
1595318762654.png

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #37 of 42
Is AME Radioso considered sort of bass heavy?
I wouldn't call the AME Custom Radioso bass heavy in the universal form. @project86 has a custom version and it has been my experience that customs tend to have more bass when compared to the universal version of the same IEM. The bass is above neutral, but it isn't bass heavy.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #40 of 42
Nope, honestly I had thought AME was gone for a while there, since their old website disappeared. But it appears they have multiple other models, interesting cables, and are very much still around. That's great news as the Radioso is still one of my favorite custom IEMs at any price!

The Aura looks interesting as well, I'll have to read up on it. Price should be relatively decent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back