Ambient temperature and leaving setup on 24/7
Nov 26, 2022 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

msing539

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, my setup is in my basement, which is finished but doesn't have air or proper heat.

In the winter, it can get down to about 45° F and 105° F in the summer.

My setup is as follows:

Asus Strix Scar Laptop (work/source)
PS Audio Quintessence (power conditioner)
Audio-GD DI-20HE (ddc)
Sonnet Morpheus R2R (dac)
Schiit Lokius (eq)
iFi Pro iCan Signature (amp)
Ampsandsound Kenzie OG Rev2 (amp)

Of these, I only currently leave the PS Audio and Audio-GD on all the time. The Sonnet I put in standby but it always has power.

Should I leave the Lokius on always regardless of ambient temp? Same question for the DI-20 and Sonnet.

The amps I shut down every night because they both have tubes. I'm aware of the issues with constant power cycling but is it worse for everything to run hot in the summer?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey, my setup is in my basement, which is finished but doesn't have air or proper heat.

In the winter, it can get down to about 45° F and 105° F in the summer.

My setup is as follows:

Asus Strix Scar Laptop (work/source)
PS Audio Quintessence (power conditioner)
Audio-GD DI-20HE (ddc)
Sonnet Morpheus R2R (dac)
Schiit Lokius (eq)
iFi Pro iCan Signature (amp)
Ampsandsound Kenzie OG Rev2 (amp)

Of these, I only currently leave the PS Audio and Audio-GD on all the time. The Sonnet I put in standby but it always has power.

Should I leave the Lokius on always regardless of ambient temp? Same question for the DI-20 and Sonnet.

The amps I shut down every night because they both have tubes. I'm aware of the issues with constant power cycling but is it worse for everything to run hot in the summer?

Thoughts?

Thanks
I would get a dehumidifier. Its regular use will avoid rust, mold, mildew, and be way more comfy in the summer. I leave my standby stuff in standby and my DAC is on 24/7 unless there is an electrical storm on my doorstep.

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Thank you, sound advice. I'll look into a dehumidifier... I mean I have one, but it stopped working and I've been lazy.

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 9
I always leave my Lokius on just more so from sheer laziness and it being at the bottom of a stack very annoying to reach to turn off. My tube amps always go off when I'm done and I turn them on let them warm up for 30 minutes to an hour before critical listening. For me the amps going on and off arent that crazy especially with tubes with a set life on them. However I leave my DDC and DAC on 24/7.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks, I've started leaving the Lokius on too. Justin himself turns his amps off every night and iFi recommended the same for the iCan since it has a tube in it, so those are the only things I'll turn off now.

Will have to see what the next summer is like with a dehumidifier. It can get very hot.

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9
They make Damprid too, they're just little containers that draw moisture and last about six weeks. I use them in closets and they really work, but there's other brands that are cheaper. In a basement it's a great option since they don't need power or make noise. I'd be more concerned with humidity than temps with electronics. I get the off brand ones for $1.25 at the Dollar store.

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 9
You don't need to leave the DI-20 on. Kingwa used to recommend it, I think now he says you don't have to but if you do that it's also ok. Agree with the opinions that moisture is worse than temperature. Make sure it's dry.

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 9
The specs of european consumer gear seems to be consistent with quoting an operating range of min 5C (to avoid the risk of condensation impacting the electronics) to max 40C (to avoid components overheating and failing). I assume that 5C represents the realistic minimum worldwide, but maybe the 40C can be increased in some countries with higher temp/spec/price components.
Based on that I think that moisture/condensation is the main risk, so there is a justification for leaving some electronics/power supplies on standby during cold winter months, depending on the local ambient conditions.

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, everyone--I'll find a way to battle the humidity. Great suggestion @dunring !

@gimmeheadroom I asked Kingwa recently and he said:

"For the best sound quality we recommend power on the DI20HE all the time except the thunderstorm day .
And our all on sale products except the vacuum products can power on all the time ."

Classic Kingwa...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back