Ambient Music
Feb 17, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #31 of 1,503

Siavash Amini - Subsiding
https://futuresequence.bandcamp.com/album/subsiding

One of my favorite albums from last year. Takes my breath away every time I listen to it.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #32 of 1,503

I'm new to this genre, but I listed to the entire album and didn't really like it because there just wasn't enough variation.  It also sounded very similar to the "Signals" albums by Sabled Sun that were posted earlier in this thread (I listened to all 6).

The dark ambient genre seems to have a delicate balancing act between being too repetitive and subtle (most of the "space" themed ambient tracks I have listened to) vs. having too many jarring noises and sudden interruptions (Atrium Carceri, Raison D'etre, or at least the 1 album I listened to).  I also find direct, distinct talking over the soundscape to be distracting, although voices that are somehow masked to blend into the background can be good.

So far Kammarheit seems to have struck a good balance with me.  Their soundscapes evolve enough to keep me paying attention but don't have so many sounds that they become distracting.  They have a mysterious feel to them and really draw me in without completely stealing my focus.  They let my imagination wander and try to construct a scene that would accompany the soundscape.

Overall though this thread has been great, I'm still trying to work my way through the recommendations.  I just wish bandcamp would provide more tags on the albums so I could eliminate ones I know I probably won't like.  I'm not a fan of ambient tracks with a beat, for example.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #33 of 1,503

I'm new to this genre, but I listed to the entire album and didn't really like it because there just wasn't enough variation.  It also sounded very similar to the "Signals" albums by Sabled Sun that were posted earlier in this thread (I listened to all 6).

The dark ambient genre seems to have a delicate balancing act between being too repetitive and subtle (most of the "space" themed ambient tracks I have listened to) vs. having too many jarring noises and sudden interruptions (Atrium Carceri, Raison D'etre, or at least the 1 album I listened to).  I also find direct, distinct talking over the soundscape to be distracting, although voices that are somehow masked to blend into the background can be good.

So far Kammarheit seems to have struck a good balance with me.  Their soundscapes evolve enough to keep me paying attention but don't have so many sounds that they become distracting.  They have a mysterious feel to them and really draw me in without completely stealing my focus.  They let my imagination wander and try to construct a scene that would accompany the soundscape.

Overall though this thread has been great, I'm still trying to work my way through the recommendations.  I just wish bandcamp would provide more tags on the albums so I could eliminate ones I know I probably won't like.  I'm not a fan of ambient tracks with a beat, for example.

I guess this is similar to Signals, but i have to admit the Signal series is bettter. These albums are mostly space ambient bordering on drone tracks. That's where my listening is currently at.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #34 of 1,503

Shima33 - Museum
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/museum

Something quite magical.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #35 of 1,503
I purchased this over the weekend.

Irezumi - Thirty
https://irezumi.bandcamp.com/album/thirty

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #37 of 1,503
One of a lot of people's favorite releases from last year. I have both the limited edition CD and 2LP.

2814 - 新しい日の誕生
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--18

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #39 of 1,503

Max Richter - Sleep

This album got a lot of play from me last fall. It is an 8-hour album composed with the intent that people would sleep through it. There is also a one-hour version titled From Sleep, but I would recommend the original for the intended experience.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #40 of 1,503

Wordclock - Endless
https://cryochamber.bandcamp.com/album/endless

Bought three CDs from Cryo Chamber last weekend. Currently listening to this one while waiting for the discs to arrive.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #42 of 1,503
  What other CD's did you buy?

I got this one and Wordclock's other album Self Destruction Themes as a bundle as well as Neuroplasticity by Dronny Darko.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #44 of 1,503
  Most of your purchases are CD's or digitial?

I typically always buy albums on CD or LP if the record is available in some physical format. If it's available on both, I typically go with the CD and only buy the LP if I really like the album. If only vinyl is available, then I go with vinyl. One exception is singles, which I typically don't buy in either format because I feel they are kind of a waste of space. If mastered and pressed well, I will take vinyl over CD any day of the week.

I used to refuse to buy any digital-only releases, but a few years back because of the Vocaloid community as well as Bandcamp and Beatport I was finally forced to accept the fact that we now live in an age where not all music is made available in physical format anymore. I order a lot of audiophile vinyl releases from the US, for which the shipping cost can be crazy, as well as a lot of music directly from Japan, so I do go to quite great lengths to acquire the music I'm interested in. You would never get me to pay for services like Spotify or Tidal, although Apple Music is something I might consider at some point primarily because of the cloud storage for my own music that can't be found on any of these music streaming services and never will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back