AMB mini3 by hohodiy.com
Apr 2, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #136 of 163
Oh Ok cool. Also, on the Amb instructions, when testing the opamps it says:

"Use your multimeter and check the resistance between each pin of the opamp and the pad to make sure you don't have a cold solder joint (i.e., your meter should read close to zero ohms). Also check continuity between adjacent pins for solder bridges (meter should read infinity). "

What does it mean by the "pad"? Also, I think I know which settings I need to set my multimeter to check resistance, but how about for continuity? Same settings? Still ohms? Is it possible to somehow damage the opamps while trying to test them? Sorry, I'm a huge noob.

Again, thanks for the much needed help, amb.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #137 of 163
Quote:

What does it mean by the "pad"?

The shiny portions on the board that the pins are supposed to be soldered to.

Quote:

how about for continuity? Same settings? Still ohms?

Yes, continuity = 0 ohms, no continuity = infinite ohms (or really high resistance)

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #138 of 163
Ohyeah, another quick question that I forgot before. Is flux absolutely essential when installing the opamps? Because I don't have any at the moment.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #139 of 163
Continuity doesn't have to be 0 ohms. If you have a completed circuit it will have continuity and most likely will have resistance. Now a SHORT on the other hand will be 0 ohms because it bypasses any circuit components.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #140 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohyeah, another quick question that I forgot before. Is flux absolutely essential when installing the opamps? Because I don't have any at the moment.

Yes, IMO flux is absolute essential for SMD soldering. It's mighty difficult to do a good job without it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v3nom
Continuity doesn't have to be 0 ohms. If you have a completed circuit it will have continuity and most likely will have resistance. Now a SHORT on the other hand will be 0 ohms because it bypasses any circuit components.

In this context (well soldered or cold joint), it is 0 ohms if continuous. Now, in real life any conductor will have a tiny amount of resistance but it will be less than the resolution of any DMM. In fact, most DMMs will read a fraction of an ohm across a well soldered joint, but that's besides the point.

I should also mention that many DMMs have a continuity tester mode where it would "beep" when it thinks that you have continuity. This is not a good use of that function because one doesn't know what the beep threshold is. Is it 10 ohms? 100 ohms? Just because it beeped doesn't guarantee a good solder joint.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #141 of 163
Hey amb, from my problems stated before, how do I know which opamp needs to be replaced? U4 or U5? Or both? Or I just can't know for sure?

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #142 of 163
Whichever that has a high DC offset problem. U4 is for G, U5 for L and R. You could have looked at the schematic diagram and saw this for yourself.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #143 of 163
I actually have no idea how to read a schematic diagram but I think I have an idea of what you're talking about. Thanks

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #144 of 163
general question about the mini3 - can the LM6172/6171 opamps be used in lieu of the ad8397? I know there are only 2 recommended opamp combos at the moment.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #146 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
general question about the mini3 - can the LM6172/6171 opamps be used in lieu of the ad8397? I know there are only 2 recommended opamp combos at the moment.

The answer is it would sort of "work", but you will suffer major performance loss. Its specified minimum supply voltage is 10V, but we have only about that much after the battery is just freshly charged, and will drop to around 8V-8.5V over most of the operating life of the charge.

The LM6172 is not rail-to-rail, it will give you no more than about 1.3Vrms output voltage swing into a mid-Z load (100 ohms) before clipping, and it gets worse into lower Zs. Contrast this to the AD8397, which will give you 3.2Vrms (mostly load invariant). With 10V supply voltage, the LM6172's maximum output current is about 25mA into 100 ohms (not specified at anything lower than that), whereas AD8397 can deliver up to 10x that (rated down to 25 ohms load).

Given this, the LM6172 won't drive high-Z or low-Z headphones effectively in the Mini³.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #147 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chews, got the mini3 working?

Haha well yes and no.

I actually completed my 2nd mini3! I was extremely careful with going through all steps thoroughly especially the testing stage after making dreadful mistakes by rushing through it and taking some very good advice from amb, and it works! It is definitely a step up from my cmoy.

As for my first mini3, I'm waiting for the opamps to come in to try and fix it up. But until then, I'm pretty happy with my working mini3
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for asking, nsx

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #148 of 163
It's a brilliant little amplifier isn't it
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for something to build actually, but damn uni work has kept me extremely busy. Maybe the CTH, but it'll have to be during the mid-year break
frown.gif
The urge to build is strong.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #149 of 163
Yes it is, indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, same here. Mid semester exams are coming up as well, so there isn't much time for anything else. CTH? Ohyeah there's a kit available right? Making one would be pretty sweet. Do you know how much it would cost all up though?

How about a Starving Student? Did you see the one that fred_fred put together? I guess it is possible to source components in Australia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back