Amazon UK & USA Cyber Monday (Boxing Day) UE Triple Fi 10 Pro Deals...
Dec 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #16 of 23
oh i didnt like the size and design of them, and prefer a warmer sound, im like you, low profile is the way to go.

edit: but saying that, i oredered the ex1000 recently knowing full well they are larger and much more noticeable in the ears than alot of high end monitors, guess it all goes back to sound quality first, ergonomics second.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
oh i didnt like the size and design of them, and prefer a warmer sound, im like you, low profile is the way to go.

edit: but saying that, i oredered the ex1000 recently knowing full well they are larger and much more noticeable in the ears than alot of high end monitors, guess it all goes back to sound quality first, ergonomics second.

Again, ^ This.
smile.gif

Low profile IEM's are very practical, especially when IEM's such as the AKG K 3003 exist, but we audiophiles are anything but practical, and not only does SQ matter, but size too.

Have you demoed or tried the Triple.Fi 10 Pro's? I had found the Super.Fi 5 Pro's very warm, but I am comparing those to my Ety ER-6i's and my AKG K 701's; the Ety's are extremely cold and analytical (great detail though, even on bass. Shame about the 'no-slam-allowed' issue...), and my AKG's are warmer but have a beautiful soundstage, depth and air. No wonder that I found the Super.Fi's warm!
Even so, when you are talking about warmth, are you talking about warmth in bass or mids (or specific frequency), or do you mean the general sound signature being warm? My impression from your post is that you prefer 'vacuum tube-like' sound, which I guess the Sennheiser IE8/IE80 and the Monster Turbine series are renowned for...

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 23
yep had the triple fi's, around about the same time i had the shure se530 and i think thats why i say i like a warmer sound because i prefered the se530, oh and in regards to the super fi 5 pro's i loved them, if i had to pick a set of phones that i ''remember'' giving me the most pleasure it would be the super fi 5 pro's, the cable was utterly awful tho going by memory. and i thought the super 5's were warmer and slammed harder than the triple fi 10.

in regards to my preference for a warm sound i generally mean anything that dont sparkle too much as its very tiring. smooth yet balanced mids and a quality sub bass is preferred, i think i took a bit of a punt on the sony ex1000 as i have heard the treble is sparkling yet the sub bass is very good and not overwhelming but very much present, my biggest gripe about the IE8 was the bass, although i loved it i am usually left feeling like the sub bass is masked by the mid bass and its a bit off putting hence my choice in purchasing the sony's. which i cant yet realistically comment on as im still waiting for the parcel to arrive, curse you christmas and new year lol

edit: sorry, what do you mean when you say ^this?? are you asking me to quote you or...?

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 23
Sad to hear this bro, I completely follow your pain. Heard of broken connector before but can only imagine a very few number of people reporting it upon arrival.
This somehow reminds me of an Danish friend last year. He waited very long for an smartphone to be released, he was very excited and planned an unboxing video the first day on arrival. It turned out he received an only empty box with no smartphone inside, it was stolen in transit. He got really pissed.
To his luck, another friend were kind and gave him a new one.

I hope Amazon will sort things for you fast as well, you need it. Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
yep had the triple fi's, around about the same time i had the shure se530 and i think thats why i say i like a warmer sound because i prefered the se530, oh and in regards to the super fi 5 pro's i loved them, if i had to pick a set of phones that i ''remember'' giving me the most pleasure it would be the super fi 5 pro's, the cable was utterly awful tho going by memory. and i thought the super 5's were warmer and slammed harder than the triple fi 10.

in regards to my preference for a warm sound i generally mean anything that dont sparkle too much as its very tiring. smooth yet balanced mids and a quality sub bass is preferred, i think i took a bit of a punt on the sony ex1000 as i have heard the treble is sparkling yet the sub bass is very good and not overwhelming but very much present, my biggest gripe about the IE8 was the bass, although i loved it i am usually left feeling like the sub bass is masked by the mid bass and its a bit off putting hence my choice in purchasing the sony's. which i cant yet realistically comment on as im still waiting for the parcel to arrive, curse you christmas and new year lol

edit: sorry, what do you mean when you say ^this?? are you asking me to quote you or...?

The Super.Fi's slammed harder than the Triple.Fi's? Now that is something I did not know, so thanks for the heads up!
I still miss using my Super.Fi's, but I must say that in the two years of not using them, I have appreciated music with greater clarity using my analytical Ety ER-6i's and my AKG K 701; though I found the Super.Fi's to be joyfully soulful, I really, really enjoyed the data retrieval the Ety's and the AKG's could do, giving me great pleasure in exploring my records again and hearing subtleties and nuances hidden within.
The Ety's tire me out incredibly easily, and there are times where I want to listen to my music on my portable rig, but I end up scrolling and scrolling through the menus simply because I know the Ety's will bore me, and then give up. So yeah, sparkly headphones/IEM's are not my number one choice, so it is unlikely that I will ever purchase the ER-4 series unless I have extra cash to blow.
However, now is the time to get soulful earphones again.
tongue.gif

Like you, I love smooth mid-freq responses from headphones/earphones, but it must not be dark or vieled, which is why the AKG K 701's are great for me; I would, however, get the Denon AH-D7000 for films/hi-def content, games, and some of my music genres (Trip-Hop mainly, but Jazz, just to have that 'smoky' feel of the room for certain recordings), as I have heard that it is silky, smooth, and has very good bass (more slam than my K 701's), yet is not dark. It will also handle Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 audio from films/games, as I can't supply enough power to feed my K 701's to make it work (the replacement Tripl.Fi's might work though...hmmm...).
The replacement Triple.Fi's would cover my rock/metal/industrial/classic rock/alternative/prog rock/electronica/ambient/decent dance music...you get the picture.
Classical pieces will be handled by my trusty K 701's, as there is nothing eles (in my current possession) that can come close to playing music so beautifully (not even my JohnBlue JB3's (but that's mainly due to my non-acoustically treated room). The Ety's would also be used for classical pieces when I'm away from home, depending on the record.

You are right about the cable of the Super.Fi, and I have to say, in the short time I had with my defective Triple.Fi's, not much has changed. I might explorer the idea of using aftermarket cables, after I have bought either a new headphone amp or get custom mould tips for my (replacement) Triple.Fi's this January/February.

Make sure you keep me posted on what you think about the Sony MDR-EX1000's, as they are un-ergonomically sexy IEM's, so your comparisons to the Sennheiser IE8's and Shure SE535's will be most interesting.

Oh, and the usage of the symbol/word "^ This" is to reflect that I completely (or mostly/generally) agree with what you wrote, an aprecaition of your words, and to other readers, what you and I think. Usually it is done when a question is answered by a member on a forum/blog/chatroom/etc, and another fellow member agree's with previous members' answer, but is lazy and will use the Circumflex Accent and the word 'This' to convey their agreement. However, it an be used outside of this.
So simply put, I agreed with your post, was to lazy to say that I agreed with your post, but was not lazy enough that I wnet forth and wrote lots of other words instead.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #21 of 23
oh right :) new one on me that ^, but now i know, i will keep you updated on my impressions of the sony's, ive been assured delivery on wednesday or thursday at the latest, cant wait, already put my IE8 up for sale to make up some of my expenses over christmas just hoping the sony's clean up on some of the things i disliked about the IE8 and i should be pretty close to what im after as the IE8 came pretty darn close. think ill miss the overall erg's of the senn's tho that cable was excellent and i always felt they could take a good knock or two, hoping the sony's dont arrive and feel delicate.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
Sad to hear this bro, I completely follow your pain. Heard of broken connector before but can only imagine a very few number of people reporting it upon arrival.
This somehow reminds me of an Danish friend last year. He waited very long for an smartphone to be released, he was very excited and planned an unboxing video the first day on arrival. It turned out he received an only empty box with no smartphone inside, it was stolen in transit. He got really pissed.
To his luck, another friend were kind and gave him a new one.
I hope Amazon will sort things for you fast as well, you need it. Happy New Year!

Thank you for your kind words, and Happy New Year to you too!!! <3

Also, I have complete faith in Amazon and their chosen couriers to pick up the defective Triple.fi's whilst Royal Mail deliver the replacements (normally Amazon wait until they get a defective product back before sending out replacements, so the phone call really worked out for me!). All of this return and replacement of products is paid for by Amazon.co.uk (including delivery fee's), so yeah, will always recommend them!

Just too add:
Based on limited time with my defective IEM's, the connector housing on the left earphone was loose from the earphone, but not from the detachable signal cable (did not even move from the signal cable, as if it were stuck to it). Though I did not test this (I very quickly wrapped up the item in the box and contacted Amazon), my intuition says that the connector housing was oddly shaped and caused the cable to attach far too securely. I think that when the item was packaged, the connector housing broke off, and as the signal cable was wound around inside the packaging (or maybe by transportation), it inadvertently ripped the housing of completely, tearing the internal cables. This was probably missed by the manufacturers before being sent for sale (does happen every once in a while to virtually any mass-produced product, as not all identical items can be checked thoroughly). Indeed, one internal earphone cable, red, was completely detached from the earphone and stuck to the solder on the connector housing; a blue internal cable is sticking out from inside the earphone. I was mortified when I discovered this.

Quote:
oh right :) new one on me that ^, but now i know, i will keep you updated on my impressions of the sony's, ive been assured delivery on wednesday or thursday at the latest, cant wait, already put my IE8 up for sale to make up some of my expenses over christmas just hoping the sony's clean up on some of the things i disliked about the IE8 and i should be pretty close to what im after as the IE8 came pretty darn close. think ill miss the overall erg's of the senn's tho that cable was excellent and i always felt they could take a good knock or two, hoping the sony's dont arrive and feel delicate.

Ha ha, no worries,  and thank you for keeping me (and other readers) up to date with your findings! I'm sure the Sony's build quality will be well made, and in safe, working condition!
wink_face.gif

In any case, to all Head-Fi members, lets celebrate the new year, and I bid everyone best wishes and success to you!

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #23 of 23
A quick update:

I have finally received my (free and paid for by Amazon.co.uk) replacement Ultimate ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro's today, in flawless condition with quick delivery (once Amazon.co.uk verified that the defective units were picked up by their sponsored couriers).

I am going to receive the Fiio RC-UE1 replacement cables for my Triple.fi 10's and the Fiio L9 LOD cable tomorrow, and will receive the JDSLabs.com C421 Amplifier (using the opamp AD8620) sometime next week.

I have used my Comply TX-500 tips, plugged it into my main PC rig, and I am listening to them right now. I shall update this post with a topic link for my review of the Triple.Fi 10 Pro's, with stock cable and the RC-UE1's, T-500 and TX-500 Comply foam tips, different audio rigs (desktop, portable) and amplifiers (NuForce Icon 1st Gen, JDSLabs Custom cMoyBB v2.02, and JDSLabs C421).

Until then, more listening for me (I can finally continue the music I intended to hear from my post here)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back