Amazon special - X10 vs. TF10 vs. old-school B&O A8 - for Trance/female vocals
Dec 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hien34

New Head-Fier
Long-time lurker and definitely want to give thanks and props to this community as a whole for being a friendly place to learn about high-end audio

As many did, I jumped on the Amazon $94 special for the Klipsch X10s and UE TF10s.  I've always liked dynamic drivers, but wanted to see how the BAs would sound since I'm considering customs and it seems there are definitely more BA customs than dynamic.  I've got an old pair of A8s that have traveled the world with me since 2001 (multiple trips to Japan, Mexico, Budapest, etc.) and I would have tested the EX85s but I didn't bring them to work today =).

I wouldn't dare call this a review by any means - just some notes that might help someone that likes the same genres of music (Trance/Progressive w/vocals/Uplifiting - female vocalists like Sarah McLachlan, Leigh Nash, Dolores O'Riordan).  

Short background: into home and car audio and fairly recently into head-fi =).  Car audio included MB Quarts, Nakamichi, and OZ components.  At home, I listen to Klipsch and Mirage speakers (love the omnipolars) and Onkyo receivers.  I have Beyerdynamics DT770s (250ohm) and Sony EX85 and B&O A8s.

All tracks were in lossless (FLAC) and played via AIMP on my Alienware M11X-R2 via a Fiio E7 - no EQ, same volume level (14) throughout

Dido - Everything to Lose (AvB remix)

Opening bassline
A8 - Strong within the bass/mid-bass range
X10 - bass is there, not as strong/physical but surprisingly good for a small single BA
TF10 - good bass > x10 but not as full as A8

0:58 vocals
A8 - nice pan right/left, spacious soundstage
X10 - nice pan but soundstage seems smaller, less bright
TF10 - nice pan, treble is bright/crisp

2:58 vocals and beyond 3:40 synths
A8 - nice layering w/synths and vocals
TF10 - highs and bass seem good, less mids
X10 - overall volume level seems lower, isolation ok

Markus Schultz feat. Justine Suissa - Perception (Original) - Nothing compares to the original Cass & Slide - Perception, but I didn't have it in lossless

2:50 min - heavy synth, alternating left/right
X10 - smallish soundstage, the echo/reverb less
A8 - immediately "darker", thicker bass, larger soundstage by far
TF10 - good "rolling" bass, bright cymbal/high-hat

7:39 min - vocals 
X10 - clean and clear - no sibilance
A8 - clear, layered w/more bass seemingly less bright?  larger soundstage
TF10 - better SS than X10, bright, nearly sibilance

Sarah McLachlan - U Want Me 2

opening piano
A8 - very resonant
X10 - very nice, similar to A8
TF10 - very good

Vocals at 0:23
A8 - clear ending to words, intake of breaths
X10 - lower volume, veiled
TF10 - overall good sound, but adding near sibilance

1:32 - 2:34 Vocals
A8 - guitar, drums/cymbals
X10 - veiled, intruments ok
TF10 - good overall, vocals not as warm as A8

First State feat. Sarah Howells - Reverie (Dash Berlin Remix)

0:57 thick bassy synths
X10 - sounds good
A8 - immediately more depth/impact
TF10 - nice and thick better than X10, nearly A8

1:40 vocals and thick synth
X10 - good depth/layering
A8 - better soundstage and overall higher volume
TF10 - good soundstage and vocals

2:10 - bass drop then piano ~2:30 + chorus
X10 - overall sounds good, vocals clear, intake of breaths clear
A8 - vocals better - less veiled, sharper intake of breaths
TF10 - great overall, bass drops not as deep as A8

6:12 piano, synths, drums, vocals
X10 - handled this busy section well
A8 - good, deeper bass than X10

TF10 - bright!  overall good but the bright sections are BRIGHT almost wince-inducing
 ​
 ​
Conclusion - Overall the X10s didn't do it for me.  They are comfortable and small but oddly I didn't like the insertion depth required for a good seal.  Maybe that's just me not being used to having anything that deep in my ear?  What disappointed me the most about the X10 were the vocals on Sarah McLachlan's track.  Obviously this isn't the same as the home Klipsch horns but I love the sound of those and I guess expected something similar.
 ​
The TF10s sounded good overall - but the mids were a bit recessed.  Bass was surprisingly good for me (thinking BAs aren't that good at deep bass) but the highs were too harsh for me.  I purposely picked songs that had a lot of opportunities for sibilance.  Most importantly the these would NOT fit my ear.  I did read that some people had issues with the size and fit, but these were painful after just a few minutes of listening.  So either the fit or the overly bright treble would have sealed the deal for me.
 ​
The good ol' A8s have served me well since 2001 and even though the cables seem even more frail than the X10s they're still in great shape and sound good overall with good bass/midbass and good midrange and treble as well.
 ​
I've also heard the W4s but they seemed almost "cold" and a bit light on the low end for me.   
 ​
I look forward to trying out the IE8s and possibly the new Sony 4-driver BA IEM.  
 ​
Otherwise I guess it's just custom time!  i'm looking at the UM Merlin currently but would be up for suggestions on any other musical, warm custom.  Considering the Futuresonics custom as well since i do seem to like that dynamic sound!
 ​
BTW - if anyone wants to buy/trade the X10/TF10 let me know ASAP otherwise I'm returning to Amazon (I have just under a week left).  Both were cleaned w/alcohol swabs and back in the box (X10 box is perforated and torn at the back - that's how they open)

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 8
what tips did you use with the TF10s? I would recommend trying some complies as they tame the highs quite a bit...

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 8
I never understood why the B&O A8 dont have that many fans around here... I owned these for 10+ years too and I would rate them one of my favorites

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 8
I would have if I liked the fit - I tried some of the different silicone tips in the box but once I felt the discomfort of the large (to me) plastic head, I just found a tip and listened as long as I comfortably could

Quote:
what tips did you use with the TF10s? I would recommend trying some complies as they tame the highs quite a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back