Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #498 of 2,015
If by "reinstalling" you mean first uninstalling the app, Android deletes content as well. It is expected on both iOS and Android that uninstalling any app will also delete all of the app's local data.

Actually yes, but it seems that somehow something is wrong with this particular app, see the reply from @TK33

No issues in this regard on iOS though. I also had my full library downloaded before the Music HD has been launched. Uninstalled the app, reinstalled, re-downloaded the library in best quality (around 50GB). No conflicts observed...

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #499 of 2,015
What is the consensus so far of Tidal vs Amazon HD? I mostly use Tidal for music at home and while driving via android auto/car play for lossless music in my car. It works really well. It sounds Amazon is worth a try, but I believe I saw something about its streaming algorithm needs work in the sense that it downgrades the stream from Lossless to lossy if needed which would drive me insane..

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #500 of 2,015
If you read though the thread many feel the sound quality of Amazon Music HD is not as good as Tidal and the difference is noticeable on Android. Sign up for the free trial and let us know your thoughts.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #501 of 2,015
Purely subjective, but playing the new Abbey Road Super Deluxe Edition in Ultra HD compared to Tidal's MQA (not decoded), I felt I wasn't missing a thing.
I'm using both of their respective desktop apps, everything else is the same. My current usb/spdif converter limits both to 24/96.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #502 of 2,015
What is the consensus so far of Tidal vs Amazon HD? I mostly use Tidal for music at home and while driving via android auto/car play for lossless music in my car. It works really well. It sounds Amazon is worth a try, but I believe I saw something about its streaming algorithm needs work in the sense that it downgrades the stream from Lossless to lossy if needed which would drive me insane..

After comparing the 2 platforms over the past 2 weeks, I would say Amazon initially sounds Good, but becomes fatiguing after a while
everything sounds too bright and thrashy not how it should sound in my opinion.
Like iv'e said before even complete albums seem to have differing quality audio, where as the original albums do not. On Tidal this doesn't happen.
Casual listening in the car via bluetooth maybe ok, but not through decent Headphones

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #503 of 2,015
I will give it a try as well. I am not expecting to hear that much difference in my Volvo XC90 w/ Bowers & Wilkins via Carplay. I will give it a more deep test on my home equipment. I am rooting for Tidal but it is always nice to save money.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #504 of 2,015
Thanks. I'm not holding my breath though. Amazon's support staff are utterly clueless.

It does appear that the situation is somewhat better for Windows and Mac, but to get bit-perfect playback, you need to manually set the sample rate in the OS (which might vary from track to track).
It works fine on Mac if you do the following 2 actions:
1. Set Audio Midi to 24bit / 96KHz.
2. Go to settings / privacy and add Amazon App.

then it plays at correct bit rate and KHz.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #505 of 2,015

In what section of Privacy do you add the Amazon app? There are many.

Edit: actually, I see on my Mac it is in Accessibility.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #506 of 2,015
At least on Windows it's just shared mode, there is no resampling going on in app.
How have you confirmed that? Isn't it simply playing at whatever sample rate you've set your Windows OS to?

Surely, if you set the OS' sample-rate/bit depth to 96/24, then 96/24 is what you'll get - regardless of the actual sample rate of the track in question???

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #507 of 2,015
How have you confirmed that? Isn't it simply playing at whatever sample rate you've set your Windows OS to?

Surely, if you set the OS' sample-rate/bit depth to 96/24, then 96/24 is what you'll get - regardless of the actual sample rate of the track in question???
No, it changes in accordance to track. You can see this on the yellow ultra hd badge. It switches according to track.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #508 of 2,015
Just a personal subjective opinion.

when you consider TV content streaming Services such as Netflix Premium provides HDR DOLBYVISION and ATMOS for only £12 a month, then I think the price of Music HD Streaming services should not be more than this. So i think Amazon HD Music is a more fair price and for too long has Tidal HIFI/QUBUZ been enjoying a Dualopoly price.

i hope Google, Apple also launch HD Music streaming at competitive price point.

I previously really liked TIDAL HIFI, but they don’t offer a discount even for annual payment which sucks.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #509 of 2,015
No, it changes in accordance to track. You can see this on the yellow ultra hd badge. It switches according to track.

I set my Windows 10 mixer setting to 24/96 and played various tracks, 16/44 to 24/192 from several different albums on Amazon Music HD. Either the app or the OS up or down sampled every track to 96 as shown on my Yggy. The information provided by clicking on the HD badge for each track is wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #510 of 2,015
I understand what you're saying, but like @exdmd said - I don't think you can trust what Amazon's telling you :wink: Try connecting an external DAC to your Mac (one that will correctly report the sample rate it receives). I think you're going to find it just gives you whatever sample rate you set in the audio midi setup. Regardless of HD or Ultra HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back