Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 2,016
It's fixed to 48/24 on Android too.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #32 of 2,016
It's fixed to 48/24 on Android too.
All audio apps are fixed to 24/48 on Android. On iOS it upsampled to 24/192 if you're DAC is capable of that

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #33 of 2,016
All audio apps are fixed to 24/48 on Android. On iOS it upsampled to 24/192 if you're DAC is capable of that
yea but it's curious that even custom modded androids that do NOT have that failling (i.e. have their own audio stack) like DAPs and phones like LG evidently don't go upto 192 for amazon hq? Or at least, from what I can tell whilst testing the two DAPs i've tried today (DX150 and X5).

I'm curious to know why that is, and if this is just a freak case for iBasso or if even other customized android version that SHOULD support native bitperfect sampling have this issue?

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #34 of 2,016
yea but it's curious that even custom modded androids that do NOT have that failling (i.e. have their own audio stack) like DAPs and phones like LG evidently don't go upto 192 for amazon hq? Or at least, from what I can tell whilst testing the two DAPs i've tried today (DX150 and X5).
If I'm not mistaken, both of those devices are not bit-perfect with streaming apps, only the local player or apps with built in Android SRC bypassing. Dx 150 doesn't do direct transport audio, I don't think. Also, the LG DAC only bypasses Android SRC for Tidal MQA audio. Even the normal CD quality audio gets upsampled on the LG phones, because it runs through the Android Audio stack.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #35 of 2,016
If I'm not mistaken, both of those devices are not bit-perfect with streaming apps, only the local player or apps with built in Android SRC bypassing. Dx 150 doesn't do direct transport audio, I don't think. Also, the LG DAC only bypasses Android SRC for Tidal MQA audio. Even the normal CD quality audio gets upsampled on the LG phones, because it runs through the Android Audio stack.
wait, so bitperfect only applies to local apps? I suspected as much at first but thought that had changed, that sucks. All in all though, is there ANY way to get Tidal bitperfect transport? That's sad...more to the point - for amazon HQ since bitperfect actually matters here - can we get ANY portable solution that offers bitperfect?

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #36 of 2,016
wait, so bitperfect only applies to local apps? I suspected as much at first but thought that had changed, that sucks. All in all though, is there ANY way to get Tidal bitperfect transport? That's sad...more to the point - for amazon HQ since bitperfect actually matters here - can we get ANY portable solution that offers bitperfect?
What is the device you are using?

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #37 of 2,016
Currently DX150, but I wouldn't mind selling it and buying another device if it means I can get >44khz streaming. Maybe I should just go with my initial plan of non streaming DAP with better quality+buy my flacs or smthg...lol.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #38 of 2,016
Currently DX150, but I wouldn't mind selling it and buying another device if it means I can get >44khz streaming. Maybe I should just go with my initial plan of non streaming DAP with better quality+buy my flacs or smthg...lol.
Current Android DAPs that do direct transport audio aka bypass Android sample rate conversion on all apps when using the built in DAC are Hiby R5, R6, R6 pro, Cayin 6ii. Not aware of any others currently. I do not believe these DAPs output bit-perfect audio to external DAC/amps though. iOS actually outputs bit-perfect audio to external DACs that have hi-res capability via apps with hi-res output such as Tidal and Qobuz.Amazon music upsampled for the time being, but I believe the hi-res flacs soundb than Tidal Masters. I just don't like the upsampling of all the audio. However, if I continue to feel it sounds better to my DACs than Tidal, perhaps I may switch over before the 3 month trial expires. It's cheaper on a family plan by $10, anyway.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #39 of 2,016
Current Android DAPs that do direct transport audio aka bypass Android sample rate conversion on all apps when using the built in DAC are Hiby R5, R6, R6 pro, Cayin 6ii. Not aware of any others currently. I do not believe these DAPs output bit-perfect audio to external DAC/amps though. iOS actually outputs bit-perfect audio to external DACs that have hi-res capability via apps with hi-res output such as Tidal and Qobuz.Amazon music upsampled for the time being, but I believe the hi-res flacs soundb than Tidal Masters. I just don't like the upsampling of all the audio. However, if I continue to feel it sounds better to my DACs than Tidal, perhaps I may switch over before the 3 month trial expires. It's cheaper on a family plan by $10, anyway.
hmm, is this a software thing? I mean lurkers mod on ibasso SHOULD be able to do bitperfect or something? not sure...at any rate, can someone test out a DAP using *internal* DAC and tell me one that works with Ultra HQ for sure? I should be able to sell my ibasso to buy it...

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #40 of 2,016
That was my original thought, but I like the power and sq of external DACs. People have an issue with stacking on their phones, which I understand, and carrying around a double stack in your hand or pocket can be irritating, however with an iOS device, there are a myriad of belt holsters available, so the device can sit on your hip hands free. In my signature, that Monolith DAC is dual locked to a 256,gb iPhone 7 used as transport, and I have a holster that the iPhone slides into, SOI don't have to carry in my pocket or hand.cive been using Tidal for a few years and switched from Android to iOS for music ONLY once Tidal added Masters audio to the mobile platforms. Qobuz costs too much. I love Tidal, minus the fact that adding several albums in the play que negates the ability to shuffle the que, but the 24/44, 24/48 and 24/96 audio to a chord Mojo has been awesome.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #41 of 2,016
That was my original thought, but I like the power and sq of external DACs. People have an issue with stacking on their phones, which I understand, and carrying around a double stack in your hand or pocket can be irritating, however with an iOS device, there are a myriad of belt holsters available, so the device can sit on your hip hands free. In my signature, that Monolith DAC is dual locked to a 256,gb iPhone 7 used as transport, and I have a holster that the iPhone slides into, SOI don't have to carry in my pocket or hand.cive been using Tidal for a few years and switched from Android to iOS for music ONLY once Tidal added Masters audio to the mobile platforms. Qobuz costs too much. I love Tidal, minus the fact that adding several albums in the play que negates the ability to shuffle the que, but the 24/44, 24/48 and 24/96 audio to a chord Mojo has been awesome.
i don't MIND doing a transport, and honestly i would LOVE to use my phone...but something something, USB-C+Android is just the WORST at this.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #42 of 2,016
hmm, is this a software thing? I mean lurkers mod on ibasso SHOULD be able to do bitperfect or something? not sure...at any rate, can someone test out a DAP using *internal* DAC and tell me one that works with Ultra HQ for sure? I should be able to sell my ibasso to buy it...
Just read the changelog for Lurker mod. That mod only adds Hiby Music and USB Audio player, allowing bit-perfect audio to locally stored music files, not offline files from streaming services.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #43 of 2,016
Just read the changelog for Lurker mod. That mod only adds Hiby Music and USB Audio player, allowing bit-perfect audio to locally stored music files, not offline files from streaming services.
:frowning2:, so what's my best solution here?

1. Buy another device (which one?)
2. Use my PHONE as transport + UAPP or something.

You know what, better yet, can someone tell me a 100% "this works for me all the time" solution that involves playing streaming bitperfect >44khz audio (esp, with Amazon streaming actually offering this)?

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #44 of 2,016
:frowning2:, so what's my best solution here?

1. Buy another device (which one?)
2. Use my PHONE as transport + UAPP or something.

You know what, better yet, can someone tell me a 100% "this works for me all the time" solution that involves playing streaming bitperfect >44khz audio (esp, with Amazon streaming actually offering this)?
As of right now, Amazon Music HD does not do bit-perfect audio. We'll all be waiting to see if this gets updated. As far as other streaming services such as Tidal, Qobuz with offline stored music you will get bit-perfect to external DAC on an iOS device. iPhone 7 and up have a 256gb model. Got a used 7 for $250. IOS itself is limited to 24/48, but certain hi-res apps transport at the native rate of the music to external DACs that are capable. Tidal Masters to an external DAC that does MQA outputs MQA on an iPhone to those DACs. I do that with my ifi xDSD. But my Chord Mojo sounds better at the 24/96 first unfold from the app, than MQA fully unfolded to my xDSD, so I use the mojo more. So, as I stated, your current options for DAPs are Hiby R5, r6, r6 pro, and Cayin n6ii for bit-perfect output using ALL apps. iOS device to external DAC for streaming/offline apps. And, we are all waiting to see if Amazon music upgrades. That is the extent of it at the moment

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #45 of 2,016
As of right now, Amazon Music HD does not do bit-perfect audio. We'll all be waiting to see if this gets updated. As far as other streaming services such as Tidal, Qobuz with offline stored music you will get bit-perfect to external DAC on an iOS device. iPhone 7 and up have a 256gb model. Got a used 7 for $250. IOS itself is limited to 24/48, but certain hi-res apps transport at the native rate of the music to external DACs that are capable. Tidal Masters to an external DAC that does MQA outputs MQA on an iPhone to those DACs. I do that with my ifi xDSD. But my Chord Mojo sounds better at the 24/96 first unfold from the app, than MQA fully unfolded to my xDSD, so I use the mojo more. So, as I stated, your current options for DAPs are Hiby R5, r6, r6 pro, and Cayin n6ii for bit-perfect output using ALL apps. iOS device to external DAC for streaming/offline apps. And, we are all waiting to see if Amazon music upgrades. That is the extent of it at the moment
So HIby does bitperfect using ANY android app? (i wonder why that's something Hiby can do, but Fiio and Ibasso cannot?)...and If I'm hearing you right, for some reason Tidal should be able to do Bitperfect as is on Hiby but Amazon HD cannot due to some way it works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back