Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #256 of 2,016
The poorer sound quality, compared to Tidal, is a huge source of frustration for me. I tend to listen out for new tracks that are played on smooth jazz radio stations and build up a list of them (via Shazam) and then try to find them on Tidal. Tidal doesn't have several of them, yet Amazon Music HD found all of them so far!

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #257 of 2,016
The poorer sound quality, compared to Tidal, is a huge source of frustration for me. I tend to listen out for new tracks that are played on smooth jazz radio stations and build up a list of them (via Shazam) and then try to find them on Tidal. Tidal doesn't have several of them, yet Amazon Music HD found all of them so far!

Agree. Fundamentally the library in Amazon HD is more complete, larger and has more Hi-Def content than Tidal MQA. The UI is pretty impressive given how new the service is, provided Amazon continues to refine and add features. The somewhat trivial task of fixing the I/O to use exclusive mode may/should resolve all the sound quality issues and allow the content to shine with higher quality on Ultra HD content over Tidal (purported MQA merits notwithstanding). All for significantly less than Tidal (for Prime and Yearly purchase) --- they will have a great service. Apparently Audirvana and perhaps others will solve part of the sound quality issue on their own too, eventually. I am hopeful. As for Amazon having a proper end point device to connect to an external DAC --- not so sure its coming anytime soon :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #258 of 2,016
I made the move to the family plan for Amazon Music HD, the first day I it was offered. Cancelled Apple Music (kids) and Tidal HIFI (me). I’m a prime member, have several Echo’s, but am pretty much Apple based with phones, laptops, and tablets. I am getting Ultra HD no problem on iPhone X with Dragonfly Black. Sound is great. Indistinguishable from Master MQA songs on Tidal. Only thing I’m waiting on is Roon integration and:xf_eek:r KEF LS50W WiFi capability.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #259 of 2,016
I couldn't agree more.
One of my favorite bands is Fink, on Amazon they list 30 albums where as on Tidal they list 8.

As for the sound differences between them, amazon is a bit warmer with less details.
That just for Fink.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #260 of 2,016
I've spent a couple of hours this evening listening to the Amazon Music HD app and the Tidal app on my Android-based LG V30+ phone (previously I was listening to Amazon Music HD on my Mac desktop). The difference in quality is even more stark. I've been using a semi-decent pair of headphones - beyerdynamic T51i on-ears, and for a shorter time, my AKG N40 in-ears. Several tracks have played 'correctly' in terms of bitrate and bit-depth at 48kHz, 24-bit according to the info details when I click the Ultra-HD icon in the Amazon Music HD app (Android). However, the audio is completely muddled up and unlistenable to me. If anyone has the Amazon Music HD app on an LG phone, could they check the quality with a decent pair of headphones? Something must be wrong. The Tidal app is in a completely different league in terms listenability and sound quality, and I'm not listening to any MQA tracks either.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #261 of 2,016
I've spent a couple of hours this evening listening to the Amazon Music HD app and the Tidal app on my Android-based LG V30+ phone (previously I was listening to Amazon Music HD on my Mac desktop). The difference in quality is even more stark. I've been using a semi-decent pair of headphones - beyerdynamic T51i on-ears, and for a shorter time, my AKG N40 in-ears. Several tracks have played 'correctly' in terms of bitrate and bit-depth at 48kHz, 24-bit according to the info details when I click the Ultra-HD icon in the Amazon Music HD app (Android). However, the audio is completely muddled up and unlistenable to me. If anyone has the Amazon Music HD app on an LG phone, could they check the quality with a decent pair of headphones? Something must be wrong. The Tidal app is in a completely different league in terms listenability and sound quality, and I'm not listening to any MQA tracks either.

Yes same experience...on lg v40. Same issues as Amazon has with all the Fire OS devices too....audio is destroyed.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #262 of 2,016
Several tracks have played 'correctly' in terms of bitrate and bit-depth at 48kHz, 24-bit according to the info details when I click the Ultra-HD icon in the Amazon Music HD app (Android).
Yes same experience...on lg v40. Same issues as Amazon has with all the Fire OS devices too....audio is destroyed.

Are we talking about JUST Ultra HD? I have a V20/V40 I can check some comparisons.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #263 of 2,016
Are we talking about JUST Ultra HD? I have a V20/V40 I can check some comparisons.

Everything sounds bad to me, as everything goes through the android mixer from Amazon Music (like Google Music too). Unless they take unpublished interfaces/hacks like UAPP does, they will need to make use of the MQA offload path as Tidal does with devices like LG. Here the ESS SoC is handed the FLAC natively, and it does decode using the offload feature -- far away from Android Mixer/Resampler .

Im hoping UAPP integrates Amazon Music HD eventually on Android ... if enough people ask for it no technical reason why it wont happen.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #264 of 2,016
Every is fine for me, even a bit more clear and a great Soundstage.
But.. I had the same issue at first also.. You should try and switch off loudness management in the Amazon app. That option fully destroys high quality sound..

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #265 of 2,016
Im hoping UAPP integrates Amazon Music HD eventually on Android ... if enough people ask for it no technical reason why it wont happen.

No technical reason but there are business reasons, misguided though they may be. Amazon does not make their API public, and are currently only partnering with hardware partners who make products Amazon sells a lot of. Audiophile software apps have a tiny number of customers in comparison, and also UAPP only sells through Google Play which would complicate the relationship.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #266 of 2,016
No technical reason but there are business reasons, misguided though they may be. Amazon does not make their API public, and are currently only partnering with hardware partners who make products Amazon sells a lot of. Audiophile software apps have a tiny number of customers in comparison, and also UAPP only sells through Google Play which would complicate the relationship.

Sadly what you say about the business reasons why not, are compelling. Nevertheless, maybe well see some integrations on the SW front somewhere, although it really doesnt likely matter much to Amazon.

Sep 26, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #267 of 2,016
Sadly what you say about the business reasons why not, are compelling. Nevertheless, maybe well see some integrations on the SW front somewhere, although it really doesnt likely matter much to Amazon.

Amazon may also prefer to keep us within their own apps, so they can sell us downloads (even though they're MP3 not Hi-Res at this time) and other products. It's all about owning the customer. Not sure I like being owned...

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #269 of 2,016
Have the same phone, sounds outstanding on UE900s. Few pointers:
- disable volume normalization
- adjust streaming quality, it's standard by default on mobile plan
- and if you have some audio simultaneously coming from other source (browser), the sound will be muffled, guess that's how shared audio mode works on Android. Kill all the other running apps, and if browsing, disable (mute) audio in chrome preferences.

One more thing, I have noticed something similar happening on PC, quality is impacted but not by such degree. The give away is that HD badge that you can click to see current bitrate disappears.
Usually happens when other app like browser accesses audio in shared mode first. Almost as there is some sort of semi-exlusive mode Amazon can optimize if using audio device exclusively, a while back I've read Window Media Player can do the same.
In any case keep an eye on that HD yellow badge with bit rate, phone or PC, if it disappears, something is wrong, check for other apps accessing audio output.

And exclusive mode support is coming, don't worry, they just need some time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back