Amazon "Kindle" - anyone buy/try one yet?
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 60
If it weren't for Americans becoming increasingly more illiterate with each passing moment, I would worry that this device would contribute greatly to the downfall of western civilization much like GPS, cell phones and, hell, the internet.

Chill out. Slow down. Read one book at a time. You could literally buy thousands of used paperbacks for what this novelty costs.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 60
Hey I'm American and I read books. I would just prefer to have something that doesn't weigh a couple pounds, isn't an inch and a half thick, and can hold my next book so I can start reading it when I finish the previous book.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it weren't for Americans becoming increasingly more illiterate with each passing moment, I would worry that this device would contribute greatly to the downfall of western civilization much like GPS, cell phones and, hell, the internet.

Chill out. Slow down. Read one book at a time. You could literally buy thousands of used paperbacks for what this novelty costs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I'm American and I read books. I would just prefer to have something that doesn't weigh a couple pounds, isn't an inch and a half thick, and can hold my next book so I can start reading it when I finish the previous book.

I can understand both of these points of view. Often times, when new technology hits, my first reaction is, "Wow! That's cool. Who would have thought of that?" But then my next reaction is, "Someone who wishes to extract dollars from my pocket for something that I don't really need." Only after thinking, reflecting, and examining the evidence further (which may, in cases like this, require a 2nd or 3rd generation of such products), do I typically "bite", unless I have a much stronger 'perceived need' from the beginning.

Here are a couple of cases in point:

1. Cell phones. I resisted! Boy, did I ever resist. Several years without one. Everyone else had them, but not me! They were so expensive to use in Cayman. Something like 35 cents per minute at first. Yet, I could stop at a pay phone for 10 cents and get 3 minutes! Plus, I couldn't really be bothered with having people being able to "disturb" me all day long and know my whereabouts at all times! I resisted because my life was fine without such a device.

Yet now, I've got 3 cell phones (one for Cayman, one for the US and other parts of the world, and one specifically for Florida which is a world unto itself). Not only can people find me, but I can find them! I also have their numbers stored, so I no longer need to call other friends or coworkers to track down the numbers of those I'm really looking for!

2. iPod. Resisted this like crazy, and then when I finally got one, I didn't get anything loaded onto it until I had it for 6-8 months. Finally, I broke down and asked a fellow Head-Fi'er to put some music on the silly thing. Didn't know then (and don't really know now, or not very well) how to do so myself. Could care less, really, about such stuff.

But it sure is convenient when traveling, and it's great when riding my scooter in Cayman, or cutting the grass, or hanging out at the beach, or when I'm in the Atom in the US, etc. Lots of applications, and not terribly worse than a PCDP in terms of sound quality. Much, much more convenient as well.

But there has to be a "needs assessment" if something like the advent of cell phones or iPods or the Kindle doesn't immediately "grab" you, shake you, and make you RUN for the nearest store to buy one! I'm sure that for some avid readers, the Kindle will represent a HUGE improvement in their lives. But how many people read that much?

In my case, The Chicago Tribune would be cool to have, but if I haven't bothered to subscribe in all these years, then why now? It would keep me in touch with things (roughly speaking) back home. Time magazine, or the WSJ, would be nice as well. But how many paperbacks do I really read in a year? A dozen, I suppose. Maybe two dozen some years.

Would the device then, oddly enough, become - in and of itself - a paperweight? Except when traveling, of course. Because it would add to the cool and hip factor that I so exemplify in every other aspect of my overweight, middle aged, shoddily dressed, self. I'm sure I'll be seeing plenty of them in the business class seats the next time I fly. But I see Bose noise canceling headphones there as well.

Gotta say, however, that the books I picked up at Heathrow last time sure did add a lot of weight to my carry on (but first "carry around") luggage! Of course one of them was the new John Lennon "The Life" biography which must weight 10 pounds all by itself!

So I'm ambivalent. It won't bother me that others have one and that I don't. At least not for now. I need to chew on it for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky and bump into a girlfriend who can read my mind and buy me one for Christmas. (Incidentally, I've been looking for such a creature for 46 years, minus the first 10 years when I ran away from girls - one that can read my mind, that is. Don't think the Kindle will help in that regard.)

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #19 of 60
At $350 it just doesn't look the part to me. Amazon, next time give the folks at Apple a chance. Design is very important these days and I still think the Kindle is terrible looking. Like a circa 70s calculator.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Design is very important these days and I still think the Kindle is terrible looking. Like a circa 70s calculator.

Ha! You've hit the nail on the head with the 70s calculator comment! As good of a reason as any not to buy one... for now.

But I've not yet seen/experienced one myself. I'm sure the pangs of whatever you call it - jealousy for lack of a better word - will kick in once I drop by to visit my friend who keeps saying, "Oh, you'll want one if I know you..."

He's my former doc and fellow audiophool. He and his wife just moved back to Cayman to reestablish their practice after 4 years in the US (post Hurricane Ivan). It will be nice to have some close friends who can really appreciate my system. Most people have no sense of what goes into building a speaker rig in terms of the decision making process, let alone the cost.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #21 of 60
I personally use PSP for reading TXT files myself... and that's about all I use it for :S There are tons of third party apps, but relatively small screen makes page flipping little annoying :S

and yes, 350 for that device is a bit too much.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #22 of 60
Wait a sec, this thing obviously hasn't passed the Head-fi evaluation. It has no vacuum tubes nor is there a DIY version!

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #24 of 60
iPhone + Stanza > Kindle

I never read books unless they were audio or motorcycle magazines, now I find myself reading while listening to tunes while using public transportation.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $350 it just doesn't look the part to me. Amazon, next time give the folks at Apple a chance. Design is very important these days and I still think the Kindle is terrible looking. Like a circa 70s calculator.

When asked about the Kindle, Steve Jobs asked, "Who reads?" (or words to that effect). Don't expect an Apple ebook reader too soon.

I bought a kindle for my husband who makes too many business trips, and carries hard cover books with him. He is extremely slow to adopt new technology, so I now use it. I love the feel of real books, but I think the kindle is better than paperbacks which are printed on high acid paper and tend to deteriorate so that I land up throwing them out after I read them. I now try to buy paperbacks exclusively on Kindle. The book files are cheaper (no sales tax either), and you can save them on your computer or on sd memory cards for as long as you like. You can't give your old kindle files away to a friend, but you can have quite a few kindles authorized on your account so you can share the books with family members who can either read them on your kindle or get them delivered to their own kindles. I know that if a better model comes out, I'll pass this one to one of my daughters.

I also travel with my husband quite a bit, and have found them to be amazingly convenient. On our last trip, I was able to take more than 40 books in this small machine so that I had more than ample reading material for all of the down time on planes, and in my hotel room. Moreover, when I saw something I was interested in that someone else was reading in hard cover, I immediately downloaded a copy in the airport lounge so that I could start reading it. I've also purchased hardcovers that I'm reading for the Kindle so that I don't have to schlep the book on a trip.

The Kindle goes with me to the hairdresser, md's, dds, and any other place where I spend more time doing nothing in the reception area. It's a convenience that won't replace the solid feel of a real book (hardcover), but does make my life a lot easier and more convenient. I put in my iems, turn on the ipod, settle down with my kindle, and I'm good for hours anywhere -- on a flight, in a waiting room, in the car (not driving), on a bus, or with a small led booklight, in the theater before the movie starts, etc. It can go anywhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: I think the Kindle or another ebook reader would be a perfect solution for a student who has to lug heavy textbooks around. The only caveat is that the pages are only b&w and the graphic quality is not the best for illustrations and maps. I'm sure later versions will correct this. I'll bet that in a few years, every text book will also be available in ebook format.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPhone + Stanza > Kindle

I never read books unless they were audio or motorcycle magazines, now I find myself reading while listening to tunes while using public transportation.

Iphone screen is just too small for serious reading. My eyes protest and give up if I even try to read more than a wicki article.
eek.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 60
The Kindle sort of sucks anywhere but the states as you can't take advantage of the wireless network to download books. That said, assuming it uses the standard ebook formats, it should be a fun gadget.

The screens on these ebook readers are excellent as long as you have ambient lighting. If anything easier on your eyes than paper. The battery life is absolutely insane as well since they only use power when you flip pages.

I've had a Bookeen CyBook Gen3, which is a similar device, and I read old books downloaded for free on it every day. Reading Arabian Nights currently.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Cybook doesn't have a keyboard for inputting text, but it also doesn't look like a bunch of birds crapped it out. [like the Kindle]
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 60
I have an old Sony PRS-500 eReader. I bought it on here 1 1/2 years ago.

It is absolutely phenomenal. Enough cannot be said about how fantastic e-ink is until you have occasion to try it for yourself.

It's not gimmicky. It's not like reading a book on a computer. It's absolutely amazing.

I like to travel for long periods, and I read pretty quickly. I used to carry, say, 15 books with me when I left for a month or two. Now I carry this thing. toss an ipod, some IEMs and my ereader in a bag and I'm set for months.

I'm really flabbergasted by people who vehemently dislike these things. The kindle basically looks like it was assembled by N. Korea, sure, but I'd trade my modest Sony for it in a heartbeat. The EVDO makes it extremely accessible for guys like Wayne who don't want to bother loading music onto their own ipods, and text input could really be useful.

I love 'em.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EVDO makes it extremely accessible for guys like Wayne who don't want to bother loading music onto their own ipods, and text input could really be useful.

Completely idiot proof, is, I believe, the way they put it. As he raises his hand, smiles sheepishly, and gives a happy headphone grin...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back