Amazon.com Price Fluctuation?
Jan 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 33

Thanks for this.  There were two left when I got there.
Now there's one left. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
The d2000 are 226! They were 260 yesterday!

Get them everyone while you all still have a chance!
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 33
Hmm, with Amazon I would just compare their prices with forum threads and try to see when they are selling near the lowest prices you've spotted. And yeah, Amazon no longer does a price guarantee on what they sell anymore.

As for the D2000s, I was curious what the lowest price I could find them for was, and I found them for $213.08 using Electronics Expo and checking out through Amazon. If anyone is still in the market, just go to Electronics Expo, put the D2000s in your cart, and use "SHOPEARLY" in the coupon code box. Yeah, EE has them for $349, which is ridiculous, but the coupon is for 40% off, and shipping is $10. If you're absolutely sure you're going to keep them, you could save just a bit more that route. With that said, however, Amazon has a more lenient return policy, and the extra dozen or so dollars you spend at Amazon might be better for that reason.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 33
I've bought headphones from them before and had no issues. I have read on other forums of mistakes shipping, but they were resolved properly. I just put that out there for anyone interested in saving a few dollars. With that said, I'd probably buy from Amazon myself.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
It's annoying indeed. I downloaded a Firefox addon "The Camelizer." It links to camelcamelcamel.com, and from there (when you click on whatever link is there at the very bottom left corner of the popup window of the addon) you can determine how much the price fluctuates within a given month(s), when was the lowest price, etc.

I second ShinyFalcon's advice.  camelcamelcamel.com is a GREAT resource for helping to gauge whether or not you're getting the item at hand for a good price.  Using The Camelizer (plugin) just makes it all the more convenient :]

or if you'd like, just copy+paste the Amazon product URL into camelcamelcamel.com for a history of the prices, etc.etc.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
Dopippen45 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

too bad camel is only for amazon! would love something similar for electronics expo

From their site:

This add-on uses camelcamelcamel.com, camelbuy.com, and camelegg.com to provide some neat features at popular retail websites like Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, and Newegg.com. Also supports Backcountry.com, Overstock.com, and zZounds.com.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #23 of 33
Hot damn, I just installed the Camel extension for Chrome...it's amazing, and I think it will save me some serious money over time.

Right now I've got an awful game of chicken going on with Amazon over the HD555s, which I think I've settled on after listening at a hi-fi store today. They've been creeping upward on Amazon, by about 50 cents a day. It's hard to tell whether it will be a trend, considering Sennheiser is likely phasing them out for the 558s and they're soon to be weirdo collector bait.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 33
I just installed this (really cool, only really works with Amazon.ca for us Canadians) but while fooling around on Amazon.com, I noticed I can now buy (most) headphones from them, when previously it would stop me from checking out citing some contract with the companies.

This is surprisingly good news for us Canadians who are looking to buy new! (import fee still applies, but basic shipping/import fee still is not too shabby)

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #26 of 33

Quote:

Quote:
Dopippen45 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

too bad camel is only for amazon! would love something similar for electronics expo

From their site:

This add-on uses camelcamelcamel.com, camelbuy.com, and camelegg.com to provide some neat features at popular retail websites like Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, and Newegg.com. Also supports Backcountry.com, Overstock.com, and zZounds.com.

i stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out kingtz

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 33
imademymark sorry for the late response, but heres a more refined option, which im posting out of the curiousity of how other head-fier's would respond to each option, if given such an option (the first is more amazon friendly, the second more consumer friendly) -

Consumer puts 50% down of a future purchase, so maybe i want the HD800 for 1000 bucks. I drop 500 on them initially, and then once the price drops that low or lower, amazon bills the consumer for that price, and ships the HD800, if, after a year, the price never drops low enough, the consumer loses their money. Maybe shorten the time span for a lower percentage, so 50% = a year, 10% = 1/5th of a year, etc. etc. allowing ballsier consumers to gamble a bit so that if they feel confident the product will become affordable, they can get a steal, if they go too low, they get screwed, if they go too high (betting 1200 for the HD800) and the price drops from higher than their bid to drastically lower all at once, they end up paying more than they need to. 

Another option, they could plot where slumps will be, and say perhaps there are no HD800 purchased in september. They set the price down to lose about 100 bucks per purchase. People phone in to pencil their names in with a down payment of 33%. The first person gets the lowest price, and the more people call in, the higher the rate gets, until its on level with the next highest month. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 33
Nevermind fluctuations - judging from my own watching, and camelcamelcamel's database, Amazon's prices on headphones are awful right now across the board. In the sub-$100 field, most are double what they've been in the past couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back