Amazing Music Recommendations...From A to Z
Jul 4, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #91 of 185
Yello - "Stella"
720545912_f13171db8d_o.jpg

Oh how do I love thee. First and last for many, this is the Yello album that contains "Oh Yeah" - the touchstone track for Ferris Bueller lovers everywhere. It seems that hit pegged the duo as a cheeky one note group to anyone who actually recalls them.

That's too bad. It's a surprisingly dark affair which might shock anyone expecting more of the above mentioned single.

Imagine PHM NiN, "Twitch" era Ministry or "Speak & Spell" Depeche Mode for a vague feel of the euro, goth, dance pop of this album. Anyone with a passing interest in electronic music and its evolution, should have this lynchpin album in their collection!

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #92 of 185
Yo La Tengo - I'm Not Afraid of you and I Will Beat Your Ass

200px-Iamnotafraidofyou.jpg

These guys have been around forever, but I only heard them with this release. Excellent, fun guitar, jam indie rock. Good disc. One of the best last year as far as I'm concerned.

If you have trouble with the tough letters, by all means call "SKIP!" and move along. There are only so many X, Y, and Z bands. Don't let it poison you. I have already discovered a lot of new music from this thread. Same goes for the folks that are only making a half hearted effort. That does not mean that the next contributor will not have something good to offer.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #93 of 185
Zero 7

The_Garden_Front_Cover.jpg

Great band. Excellent album. Very chill trip hop. I was concerned about this release, I thought they had run their course, but I was mistaken.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #95 of 185
Adrian Belew - Side One

B00070EBSK.jpg

The first of a set of 3 CDs of so called "jam sessions". The first and third had the powerhouse trio of Adrian Belew on guitar, Les Claypool on bass, and Danny Carey on drums, while the second was more of an electronic affair. The first, dubbed "Side One" is the star of the show however. It's an extremely technical effort with fantastic performances from all three all star members. Prog fans out there should love this one.

Edit: Two Zero 7 albums mentioned so far. I only have Simple Things right now. May have to check that other one out some time.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #96 of 185
Brian Eno - Another Green World

another%20green%20world.jpg

IMO this is the very definition of a "grower" record. The first week I had it I thought buying it was a total mistake. Now it's one of the most played albums in my collection. While there are a few "songs," most of the album is a sort of minimalist and ambient. It's certainly not a very easy listen, but once you familiarize yourself with it, you'll eventually fall in love. At least I did.
smily_headphones1.gif

For fans of: experimental rock, electronic, ambient, or anybody with an open mind.

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #97 of 185
The Cardigans - Gran Turismo

CardigansGranTurismo.jpg

Excellent trip hop album. Very accessible while still sticking around for the more hardcore.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #99 of 185
Richard Davies - Telegraph

I've been listening to this one from 1998 a lot recently. I have the excellent sounding Flydaddy vinyl version with the bonus 45, but my turntable has been on ice for awhile so haven't spun it lately. A buddy dropped me a copy of the CD so that'll do. Always goes in heavy rotation. The CD is mastered a little bit louder than it should be, but not nearly as bad as most stuff now, and still sounds very good. Real shame that it's been oop for so long now, but still seems to be widely available on the used market. This was his second solo after the split with Eric Matthews. There was one more after this in 2000, and then he seemed to vanish. I heard a rumor a couple years ago that there was a new album almost ready, and another rumor that he'd given up music and gone back into law practice. Just checked and it's fun to find that most of the reviews at amazon are 5-star. Guess there's a few of us old Richard Davies fans around. Some of that quirky goodness of Robyn Hitchcock, mixed with Nick Drake's emotional introspection, and Van Dyke Parks literary imagination. Definitely qualifies as an overlooked gem in my world. Probably appeal a lot to fans of the Shins, and DCFC, but somehow doesn't sound quite as twee to me as those bands.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #100 of 185
Eleventh Dream Day - Lived to Tell

31691f.jpg

I discovered this group while researching music on All Music Guide (an indispensable research tool IMO) several years ago. I checked out a few sample tunes from this album and within a few weeks I had the band's entire recorded output (they are that good!). This album features some the sharpest, hard driving, and most inspired rock I've ever heard. What makes Eleventh Dream Day special is their uncanny ability to combine alternative/indie rock sensibilities with pop hooks that climb inside your head and won't let go. One listen to songs like "I Could Be Lost", "Dream of Sleeping Sheep", and "It's Not My World" will turn you into a fan forever. Don't miss 'em if you enjoy guitar-driven alternative rock.

--Jerome

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #101 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eleventh Dream Day - Lived to Tell

Nice pick, one of my favorite bands. I'm most partial to the later Eighth, which has a little more of that experimental Tortoise sound from Doug McCombs and John McEntire, but the more straight ahead rock stuff like on the major label debut Beet, and your followup pick, is great too. I even love the more recent ones too, like last year's Zeroes and Ones, although not as much as Stalled Parade.

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #102 of 185
John Fahey - The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick

38497f.jpg

For me, the music created by John Fahey's fingerpicking style of acoustic guitar playing is eternal. While often described as "folk" guitar, that label simply doesn't go far enough in describing his music. Fiendishly ecclectic, his music was deeply influenced by the blues, in addition to folk and jazz, and perhaps is more appropriately referred to as American primitive music. It is stark, bare, and richly expressive. Later in his life Fahey turned his back on his early work and frequently mocked fans of the music, calling them "hippies" (he often hung far less flattering monnikers on them). During that time he was drawn to experimental rock and the American underground, and was an admittedly big fan of Thurston Moore and Sonic Youth. I picked The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick to show two things: 1) the sheer beauty of Fahey's early music, and 2) to suggest that Fahey himself was being at least a little disingenious later in his life when he disparaged his early work and the many fans who loved it. This album shows a side of John Fahey where he is not only comfortable and content with his music, but also an artist who is deriving a great deal of personal satisfaction in performing it for his audience.

Every music lover should hear this recording at least once. Any fan of acoustic music should have this album in their collection.

--Jerome

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #103 of 185
Do I really need to say anything about this one?

Sorry - but I can't figure out how to get the album to display in the message.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #104 of 185
Figured I should post this here since I got the recommendation from here. I received the Immune album today, and I am happy to say you guys have not steered me wrong! This is a damn good album. It would have easily ranked with my top albums of last year had I found it earlier. Lets see some more recommendations!

I would recommend something here, but have discovered that I don't have a single "H" album in my entire collection! Let's get something to fill that void shall we.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #105 of 185
RUSH-Hemispheres
The album NOT to use to introduce someone to rush.
Epic prog rock album tough.
Cygnus part 2 is an epic prog rock piece
La villa strangiato is one of the greatest instrumentals ever.
The trees has a nice metaphor.
Circumstances is a steady rocker
hemispheres-cover.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back