Amateur Radio
Sep 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gatepc

100+ Head-Fier
Well I saw that their was some post on this topic but they were quite old and so I feel its time for a new one. Here's to the ham radio operators of head-fi!

So I am creating this thread with the idea of discussing anything related to amateur radio. Tails of contacting this island or that, past experiences, what you plan to do etc. I just find this hobby very fascinating being a newer ham I would love to hear some cool stories that some of you may have. I just got my Tech license about 2 months ago and my General class almost a month ago. Right now I just have a little HT and don't currently have money for a HF desktop unit. Not to mention I'm a little radio shy haha.

So what attracted you to ham radio? What are some of the more fascinating things that have happened?

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I support you !
I don't have ham licence currently but I'm working on !
My grand father was ham radio operator, and i was fascinated by all big radio he had !
Sometimes I would like to buy some receiver just to listend what going on the air...

Well good post here !

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I support you !
I don't have ham licence currently but I'm working on !
My grand father was ham radio operator, and i was fascinated by all big radio he had !
Sometimes I would like to buy some receiver just to listend what going on the air...

Well good post here !

Yeah your legally allowed to listen without having a license (at least in the US). One thing to note though is that most of the time you can get a transceiver cheaper then a receiver so you might as well. Its very fasinating to understand how the technology works without any infrastructure, other then your own equipment of course.

This thread seems to be taking off a little slower then I would have thought, oh well.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 6
Not terribly active at the moment, but 73 DE KG6JBF! :)

Wow Uncle Erik! I did not know that you where a ham! That's great, don't forget to renew your license buddy it says your about due.

I wonder who else here on head-fi is a ham, maybe not that many judging by the speed of this thread haha. I do wish that more people where interested. I've always just been so fascinated by electronics especially with wireless transfer of information. I am also very fascinated with the fact that we could get bombed and have all our cellphone networks etc destroyed and as long as we survived we can still make contact with other countries using our equipment. +1 for surviving the zombie apocalypse!

Thanks for chiming in Uncle Erik 73, KB3WIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back