Am I the Only Person Out There That Prefers Dynamic IEMs Over Armature IEMs?
Dec 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #91 of 128

Quote:
I would recommend a break from the BA's. If you have a little break and then listen for an extended period to dynamic its not so bad, quite enjoyable to hear the differences actually. I love the highs so much on BA's though, I know where you are coming from. 

Can't bear to use anything other than the hybrids, they are such a huge jump ahead of any of my universals, dynamic or BA.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #92 of 128
After reading a little on the history and physics of BA, it seems that they used to be used in full-size headphones in the 20's and 30's, but were replaced my better technology. It seems BAs are only used in IEMs and hearing aids due to their incredible efficiency. But they are NOT the best technology for reproducing sound... hence the fact that full-size BA headphones do not exist. Multi-driver BAs are a modern manipulation of an ancient technology. But they still just aren't dynamic. Yes, dynamic isn't as efficient, it's larger, and so forth.... But miniature dynamic technology has come a long way. Look at the MG6Pro. The IEM of the future will be dynamic, in my opinion. Jump aboard. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #93 of 128
Quote:
After reading a little on the history and physics of BA, it seems that they used to be used in full-size headphones in the 20's and 30's, but were replaced my better technology. It seems BAs are only used in IEMs and hearing aids due to their incredible efficiency. But they are NOT the best technology for reproducing sound... hence the fact that full-size BA headphones do not exist. Multi-driver BAs are a modern manipulation of an ancient technology. But they still just aren't dynamic. Yes, dynamic isn't as efficient, it's larger, and so forth.... But miniature dynamic technology has come a long way. Look at the MG6Pro. The IEM of the future will be dynamic, in my opinion. Jump aboard.

(Hops on.)

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #94 of 128
Quote:
Bassinmyface I live near you and have W4/ UM3X / HF5 and SM3 v2 I will let you try any of them if you let me try the FX700. 

Jason, I'm actually in Memphis right now for school.  I might be coming home for Christmas and would love to meet to try each others' IEMs.  I will let you know if I can come home for sure.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #95 of 128
So, just got done reading the Engadget first impressions of Sony's new BA IEM's. Apparently the high end model has a very good amount of low end surge and is quite warm. I was expecting globs of detail from a quadruple BA driver IEM.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #96 of 128
Sony's "super woofer" at work. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #98 of 128

Quote:

So which dynamic IEM that is better than universal iem(westone 4) in terms of noise isolation, sound quality, and price range of westone 4

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #99 of 128

Quote:

So which dynamic IEM that is better than universal iem(westone 4) in terms of noise isolation, sound quality, and price range of westone 4

That's a tough one to beat...

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #100 of 128
Quote:
So, just got done reading the Engadget first impressions of Sony's new BA IEM's. Apparently the high end model has a very good amount of low end surge and is quite warm. I was expecting globs of detail from a quadruple BA driver IEM.

From what I've read about these so far, it seems that (surprisingly) none of them might actually be for me.

Quote:
That's a tough one to beat...

Agreed, the W4 are very good overall and have better isolation than all top DDs I've heard.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #101 of 128

Quote:

I call that an overstatement. Price is clearly not in favor of Westone 4 (especially outside the US), and you'll find many people here and there who have other preferences. Not saying it's bad, but you seem to imply that it's "the best of all IEMs", as if such a thing would really exist...

In terms of isolation, it is certainly good and in the league as most Shure or Earsonics IEMs, but there are also DD IEMs providing excellent isolation (Yamaha EPH-100 for example, insertion is deep and excellent double flange tips are provided). Isolation, with the exception of vented drivers, can be excellent with the right tips. Not all dynamic drivers are vented, fortunately.

For sound quality, it is completely subjective, there are many IEMs for each individual taste, and nearly half of them (above 150$) are probably dynamic driver-based.

We'll see about the future, but I don't see any reason for both technologies to stop co-existing.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #102 of 128
Well. I've been comparing these 4 headphones, and I'll have to say, still prefer the BA's and MA's. Grado GR10, Ortofon e-Q5, Radius HP-TWF21, and Final Audio Design Heaven A:

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #103 of 128
^ Nice picture. I must say the Radius are perhaps not the best choice for a dynamic to cope with these three clarity monsters. But thanks to tienbasse's recommendation I'm listening to the EPH-100 right now and these are indeed impressive for the price, probably the best closed DDs I've heard so far.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #104 of 128

Quote:
^ Nice picture. I must say the Radius are perhaps not the best choice for a dynamic to cope with these three clarity monsters. But thanks to tienbasse's recommendation I'm listening to the EPH-100 right now and these are indeed impressive for the price, probably the best closed DDs I've heard so far.

Oh they aren't. The Radius's are dark, warm, and very smooth on the ears. All the others are completely the opposite. But, I do enjoy the Radius's for what they can do.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #105 of 128

Quote:

Wait, the Yamaha EPH-100? Those look quite unique. Hmm, where can I get them at besides Yamaha themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back