Am I the only person ever to be dissappointed by the UE-11's?
Feb 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JwangSDC

100+ Head-Fier
Not to say they aren't good...they are. But i was nowhere near as wowed as I had hoped/expected to me. I guess that's what high expectations do?

I was definitely wowed when I moved from EX71's to E4c's and at least partially wowed moving from e4c's to SE530's...

I'm still not going to pass judgement yet though becuase there is a small chance it is a fit problem....also I obviously need a better source. My a816 is out of town and i've only been using my computer with Xi-fi card..

coincidentally I LOVE the cable that came with them. I was fully expecting to hate it from comments I read on here and was all set to purchase a westone one. I guess that's what low expectations do...haha

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 26
How long have you been using your UE-11? Maybe you just need some brain burn-in.
eggosmile.gif

I wish I had your problem.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 26
yea i def need some brain burn in, but i can't help but feel the seal might be off. It was sucha damn pain to get them made sending them back in would be so annoying. i was also unimpressed with their customer support thus far. Making me even more hesitant with dealing with sending them back in.

I got a question for anyone that owns a pair...if when u push the pair in and hold it there the seal is better, does that mean the seal isn't good when you aren't holding them in?

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 26
sorry, I don't have rich man's problems...

wink.gif

balanced armature receivers do not benefit much from burn in.

Get the fit issue resolved first. The sound quality deficiencies may stem from poor fit.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwangSDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea i def need some brain burn in, but i can't help but feel the seal might be off. It was sucha damn pain to get them made sending them back in would be so annoying. i was also unimpressed with their customer support thus far. Making me even more hesitant with dealing with sending them back in.

I got a question for anyone that owns a pair...if when u push the pair in and hold it there the seal is better, does that mean the seal isn't good when you aren't holding them in?

Yes this is true, exactly.

If you can get better sound by pushing them into your ears, you're not getting the right seal.

It looks like it's a rotate and a rocking to get them in right... here's a video from UE that might help.

FAQ's - Support - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may have something to do with the "law" of diminishing returns. When you get up into the stratosphere of headphone prices the increased quality gets smaller and smaller as you move up.

Yea this is waht I thought. As for the person who posted the video of how to put them in..that's exactly what I've been doing. But I can still get a better seal my pushign them in and holding them there. Even with my SE530's...I got the perfect seal only about 5-10% of the time I was listening. With the UE11's i seem to get the ALMOST perfect seal everytime, but never the perfect seal.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 26
I think this is a fit issue.

The only other thing i have noticed is this:

When going from full-size headphones to IEM's (even customs), I notice a significant decrease in SQ. I will never like an IEM more than a full-size can.

Yes I understand that there are limitations like driver placement, size etc...but to me a 1000$ plus IEM should sound pretty damn good!

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 26
DJGeorgeT;3836697 said:
sorry, I don't have rich man's problems...

wink.gif

neither do I, in fact I very much suffer from poor man problems. Especially since I spent more than my rent on my IEMs...

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 26
What was your experience with thier customer service? I would defently say it is a fit issue. Customs can be a hassel to get right , but once you do they are amazing. Fit issues happen and should be expected. They are taking somehting that someone else did and making something else to fit your ears. There are so many things that could go wrong here. I would defently send them back with new impressions if you need them. Just be patient as it could take several times to get perfect.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was your experience with thier customer service? I would defently say it is a fit issue. Customs can be a hassel to get right , but once you do they are amazing. Fit issues happen and should be expected. They are taking somehting that someone else did and making something else to fit your ears. There are so many things that could go wrong here. I would defently send them back with new impressions if you need them. Just be patient as it could take several times to get perfect.

Yea, I made a thread about impressions earlier. I already had my impressions done twice and I sent both in to UE. My only complaint about CS was that they didn't always respond to always my questions. For instance, my audiologist requested that I send in both sets of impressions and I requested that UE tell me whether the first pair which was made with foam was acceptable or not...UE acknowledged and said they'd e-mail me as soon as the impressions were received, but instead i didn't get any response till 14 days later after I mailed again asking for the status of my order.

I also got the ambient feature and had a question about how the plugs worked and got a very terse non-helpful reply. They told me to wait 30 days and mess around witht he fit before considering sending them back in so I guess I'll do that.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you got the ambient feature, that may be the issue.

truth. the ambient feature significantly reduces the low/mid-low frequency response because it's opening up the seal. the ambient feature is designed to be used for stage monitoring -- when an artist is still being boneheaded and won't convert over to using all in-ears and still wants to hear their blaring wedges or amps -- not for everyday listening where overall sound quality is the biggest issue.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 26
One wonders how the caps can suck so badly at making the seal. Is it really true that you're asking for a notch or two reduction in SQ by getting the ambient feature?

I'd attribute the OP's issue to poor seal, ambient feature aside, but I haven't even gotten my pair yet and I can't be sure.

At any rate, my UE11's are on the way, and I'm glad I opted not to have it. It sounded nice in practice, being able to hear folks around you -- hear them well even if you turn down the volume. (The UE lady on the phone told me one could even drive with the ambient feature!) ...but it just sounded like a gimmicky feature to me, adding additional "moving parts" and thingies to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back