Am I the only one who seriously hates Eragon?
Dec 12, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you think they'd at least be able to come up with a new dragon, instead of a lame copy of the one from that god-awful movie Dragonheart

It is similar I suppose... though based on the dragon picture that is on the novel it is quite close. I've always thought the black dragons in the D&D Monster Manual were the best. Dragons usually look pretty dorky in most pictures when you think about it...

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #32 of 41
VicAjax - Agreed... I might be interested in it if they tried to make the dragons look cool and used the CGI a little more sparingly.

Dragonslayer - 1981 is still in first place for sweetest looking dragon in a movie IMO

dragonslayer.jpg

Bat_Dragon2.jpg

dragon.jpg

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you think they'd at least be able to come up with a new dragon, instead of a lame copy of the one from that god-awful movie Dragonheart:

eragon_16_large.jpg

Nice cgi rider they got there

NOT!
looks like he's made of clay or something..

and why the goofy teethy on the dragon?

daft

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #34 of 41
something worth note with the comparasons to LOTR, most people CAN NOT read and follow the LOTR trillogy. the eragon series is accessible to many more people.

i liked the book. i was bummed that the first book was only the first third. i thought it was only one book when i bought it. bummer. as for the odd naming of stuff: everything has odd names.

the writing style did seem a little childish, but it works out. the writing style of LOTR seems a little history text bookish. both have their very high values for stories, but in a different way. sort of like akg and grado having high values as headphones but in different ways.

as far as the movies, im not going to watch them until im done reading the 3'rd book. the way that the movie will pronounce things will no doubt make reading the 3'rd book difficult for me.

Dec 12, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something worth note with the comparasons to LOTR, most people CAN NOT read and follow the LOTR trillogy.

More like most people just don't like or get LotR. I read it first at age 10, and have read it a couple times since. I've never thought of it as a difficult read or especially deep. I don't really see why everyone seems to put LotR up on this literary pedestal... there is far better Fantasy out there.

Dec 12, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #37 of 41
LotR is placed on a pedestal because it is, in fact, quite good.

Be wary of bashing what is not to your taste, lest you fall into the literary equivalent of "Mozart sucks, he's too simple, Xenakis is 100x better!"

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I happen to enjoy LotR. I was introduced to Tolkien back in HS, in the mid-70's. Since then, I've read the whole thing numerous times. (I even spent the money for the deluxe illustrated edition.)

When I first saw the trailers for Eragon, I'd never heard of the book. My very first thought was "Dragon Riders of Pern". Since I happen to intensely dislike that genre of sci-fi/fantasy, I took an immediate dislike to "Eragon", a dislike I feel no real need to get over.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Be wary of bashing what is not to your taste, lest you fall into the literary equivalent of "Mozart sucks, he's too simple, Xenakis is 100x better!"

I don't think my comments were bashing LotR. I like it well enough. I just think that there is a lot of better fantasy out there. If anything, some of the people in this thread are bashing Eragon, and a lot of them have not even read the book.

Just to clarify: I am in no way saying that Eragon is superior to LotR, but it does have an appeal to its target audience. I read the book because of my little sisters, and I am glad I did.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #40 of 41
I think I speak for the majority of those who are displeased with Eragon's rank in literature and entertainment: Eragon does not DESERVE such honorary focus, but I guess it's easy to have in this time when everything is created for the masses who don't care about quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back