Am I the only one who seriously hates Eragon?
Dec 11, 2006 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Hope you guys like a small rant; it's been on my mind for almost a month

First off, I've always disliked it ever since I tried to read it when it came out (reasons coming later), but lately it's totally been on my nerves, mainly because of three reasons:

1.) the movie is coming out soon

2.) my sister and my special lady-friend
tongue.gif
like it a lot and keep talking about it

3.) others have been "converted" towards it lately

Now, the reasons: ever since I picked it up and read it, I disliked it purely because of the style it was written in (almost juvenile quality), and all those garbled names. In my opinion, it doesn't take much imagination to pull such fantasy names and towns out of your...yeah, to create them.

Fast forward to now. The movie is fast approaching (this week too, iirc), and my sis has been watching trailers and looking at every photo of it she can get her mouse on. And the more I look over or watch it to appease her, the more I'm disgusted by it.

The movie looks as bad as Stormbreaker (dunno how many of you know what that is); an invincible teenager (and of course he's "hot" just to attract the girls) who is glorified and acts like he's all that. The other adult characters are announced so prominently in such a manner that it it's like they too are big showoffs who think they know everything and have everything under control.

Add that with the Dragon Ball Z stuff (great balls of fire, literally) I see flying around, and I'm just getting more ticked off with every mention of the movie and/or book I hear.

Somebody, please chime in and say you hate the series too, so I don't feel so alone in this messed up world.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 41
Eragon is a series? Sweet mother of bose. I thought it was just a bosey idea for a movie made by people who are so stupid that they cannot spell "dragon". (Or more likely think that dragons are stereotypical so in a pathetic move believe that they can set themselves apart by mispelling the word)

So... uhh.. I guess I hate it to. But can any movie with both Jeremy Irons (who seems to love chewing the scenery in bad fantasy movies, see D&D) and John Malkovich (who can chew with the best of them) be all bad? As much as I hate to say it, I'll probably watch it on DVD.

Dec 11, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say I know too much about it but it seems like a rip off of Lord of the Rings. Different characters, places, events, but essentially the same thing over again.

That's what I kept saying to my sister, who kept defending it with cries of, "No it isn't!"
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 41
I've been hanging out at a lot of writing forums lately and have heard a lot about Eragon. Don't worry you're not the only one that hates it.

1. You're right that Eragon is written in a juvenile way, because well, the author was a teenager when he wrote the book. That's not to say that there aren't any good teenage writers (S.E. Hinton comes to mind), but it is a serious problem when it is apparent in your writing that you have no idea what you are doing i.e. writing style, plot, character development, originality, etc.

2. One of the main reasons this book ever got published was because the author had connections to the writing industry (it might have been his parents but I can't remember off the top of my head), not because he actually has talent.

3. If anyone has read any fantasy books in the past 50 years or so then they'll know how Eragon will go. Eragon is very unoriginal. While it might be true that every story has already been told, at least try to tell it again in a different way. Even Harry Potter is the typical fantasy story (normal teenager living a pathetic life suddenly discovers he has magical powers and is destined to save the world...) but at least it is well written.

4. They're making this into a movie! What the hell?
confused.gif

Edit: In regards to #2, his parents actually owned the publishing company. That makes it a lot easier to have your book edited, polished, and find professionals to design the book cover, marketing, etc.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 41
Thanks YamiTenshi for that insight.

Ugh, I think this thread is riling me up more
mad.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 41
No problem, always happy to make people even more angry.
biggrin.gif
You'd be surprised but Eragon is not the most hated book/movie out there. That honor would probably go to The Da Vinci Code.

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 41
I haven't read the book, but from the movie trailers, it annoys me. Just looks like another LotR, which I absolutely hated. LotR was way too slow and boring IMO.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 41
This may not make any sense to anybody, but here it goes, a coworker of mine reads or has read part of the series, And he seems to like, My point is that my coworker is a bit of an irritatingly self promoting @$$hole,, So for that reason alone, I will voluntarily join forementioned rant,

sorry, but I do feel better now
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 41
Am I the only one who seriously hates Eragon?

...............oh no....it looks like utter filth; it's funny you should make this thread cuz i mentioned in another that it seems we are in desperate need of heros these days, which was what my mother said to me when we were out seeing a film and THIS trailer came on
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say I know too much about it but it seems like a rip off of Lord of the Rings. Different characters, places, events, but essentially the same thing over again.

isn't everything? ........................btw the answer is "yes"
smily_headphones1.gif
of course tolkien ripped off a lot of nordic myth and plenty of other goodies
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 41
The vanity press business is getting a boom from all well-to-do parents who think their spawns are the next Tolkien or the next Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones Diaries). A package that includes editing, typesetting, artwork, print run, and distribution costs about USD$2000 -- much lower than a PS3 fresh from ebay. Saw enough of these already in Hong Kong; one of the reasons that I never go to book fairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back