Am I the only one who hates IEMs?
Jan 12, 2008 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

DefBringer

New Head-Fier
Yes, I know that there is a "learning curve" with getting IEMs to fit properly in the canal. I have fussed with both Shure E210 and UE's super.fi Pro 5's for about 5 minutes each, trying to get a secure fit. Usually I can force a snug fit by just pressing them into my ear. The noise elimination is nice, indeed.

But the sound?

Frankly, I can't see how either of these can even be compared with the lowly KSC-75 or PX100. The bass response is nothing short of appalling. Yes, there is a meaty thump. But there is no definition to it. Treble is nice, but it's immediate and headache-inducing.

I know there are a lot of very knowledge people with good ears who rave about IEMs. So I must ask: Do I need to spend more time with IEMs? Is 5-10 minutes not enough time to learn how to insert these devils?

I desperately am trying to find an IEM that will work with me, but so far it has been a disappointing road. Putting my PX100's back on it is just pure pleasure to listen to them. I just hate all the outside noise that gets in.

Help!

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 34
My problem IEMs is not so much with sound, much more with the idea something shoved inside my ear. Those basic earplugs are ok (in a band practice), but I don't want to wear'em - if it is not truly really necessary!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 34
Try high-quality ear buds, like the Yuin lineup, if you don't like IEMS or canal phones. With a good amp, the PK1s start to cross over into full-size phone country (and I am not the first one to say that). No fit issues, for the most part. Best thing about Yuins, the buds themselves are smaller than most of the "off the rack" buds you get cheaply or with players. The PK3s, which cost $50, sound fantastic, no amp needed, to me. The PK1s are excellent, but require an amp to be fully appreciated.

I don't hate IEMs, since I have two different pairs, but I also really enjoy ear buds, if they happen to be Yuins.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 34
You are missing the big picture here. IEM derived from the need for small, isolating yet high fidelity earphone, just like earbud/clip-on derived from the need of more portability than big cans, and big cans derived from the need of miniaturizing speaker. If everyone can easily carry a 'magical' full blow hi-fi rig at all time, we won't even need/want headphone anymore.

The primary reason for anyone to use IEM is because there is the need to trade sound quality and comfort for isolation and small form factor. You don't need to ask whether you will get use to it or not, cause eventually you will if you try hard enough. What you should ask is this: Does it worth trading in your situation, or maybe your PX100 is good enough?

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 34
No, you're not alone. I haven't heard a single universal-fit IEM I've liked on sonic terms, and I've heard nearly all, though not any of the UE models. They just don't sound anywhere near as natural as full-size headphones, and all the ones I've experienced so far have involved one sonic compromise or another. Nothing has been able to give a good and complete sonic picture.

That is, until I went custom. The ES2 is really, really good. It's as good as most full-size cans and then some. Customs are also a lot more comfortable, but it may take you several remakes to get a perfect fit.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 34
yes i'm with you OP. I hate IEMs. They won't even come close to what my KSC 75 can do. But sometimes i don't have a choice when it comes to strict portability and isolation.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 34
I don't think IEMs are the only solution if you want good, isolated sound in a portable form. My PX100s work just fine, but so do my HD-25s - which, by the way, work awesomely as pure silencers aswell
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 34
I enjoy most on my TF10 than my MS2i interms of comportability and SQ. MS2i seems it hurts after half an hour.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 34
You are certainly not the only one!
I have seen numerous posts on Head-Fi from people who can't stand IEM's...

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes i'm with you OP. I hate IEMs. They won't even come close to what my KSC 75 can do. But sometimes i don't have a choice when it comes to strict portability and isolation.

I call bull. I own the KSC75 and they don't match anything over the Super.fi 3 IMO. I've owned nearly the entire Ultimate Ears line up except for their lower end customs.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sikki-six /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think IEMs are the only solution if you want good, isolated sound in a portable form. My PX100s work just fine, but so do my HD-25s - which, by the way, work awesomely as pure silencers aswell
smily_headphones1.gif

X2. i'm not a great fan of IEM's either. there are so many fitment problems. my headphones don;'t come with 3 sizes of ear pads!! Don't get me wrong, i do the IEM's for the size, weight and portability, but i do prefer to use my HD25-1's Triport (no sneering) and on occasion when i'n drawing naked people (life drawing for my Art degree), my Ultrasone Proline 750's.

I find that IEM's can ease out ever so slightly, sometimes yo can go a minute or so before you need to screw them back in. it's not really a plus point. i don't feel the constant need to readjust my HD650's!

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 34
i like both - for very different reasons. i find good sq with my atrios but if i am home sitting in one place - okay speakers. but if i cannot afford to disturb the rest of the house - my dt880 are always out - sometimes the hd600 as well. bus, plane, travelling - iems only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back