Am I the only one who doesn't really like the the Strokes
Jan 3, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 26
I like the Strokes.Like most new bands,their 1st album is stronger than their 2nd.They have a very high talent for using catchy melodic hooks which is very rare in other alternative bands.

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #17 of 26
goldenear: quality of recording doesn't constitute a genre, IMHO. there's nothing much shared musically between White Stripes and Strokes.

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I'll do you guys one better: I do not like ANY of the bands that start with "The". To me, they are all terrible. Simple, boring, and uninspiring.

At least The Verve ain't bad(even though they added "the" in front of their name because of a lawsuit)
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 26
Pfah, heresey
biggrin.gif
. Let me check my The section:

The Arcade Fire
The Bens (obscure, OK)
The Coral (I'll give you this, if you don't like 'em)
The Delgados
The Fiery Furnaces
The Flaming Lips
The Gothic Archies
The Magnetic Fields
The Moldy Peaches
The Offspring
The Polyphonic Spree
The Presidents of the United States of America
The Sheila Divine
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths (!)
The Velvet Underground
The Venus in Furs
The Verve
The White Stripes

I defy you to hate ALL of those
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I'll do you guys one better: I do not like ANY of the bands that start with "The". To me, they are all terrible. Simple, boring, and uninspiring.

Here's one - "The The." No joke, Johnny Marr did some studio work for them.

And one band that really needed a "The" but didn't have one - yet everyone refers to them with one - "Carpenters."

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #25 of 26
And btw you don't like The Rolling Stones?

The fact is, back in the Classic Rock days there were plenty of bands with "The" in the front of them. Only recently have the nascent garage bands of the 2000's co-opted that "vibe" by sticking a "The" in front of their names.

So yes, tons of these crappy garage band wannabees use "The" to be posers. But go back when Rock was fresh and I'm sure no one will object to, say, The Beach Boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back