Am I the only one who doesn't really like the the Strokes
Jan 2, 2005 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
Two years ago I borrowed Is This It and felt bored of it. I tried it again yesterday and I think my opinion hasn't changed. To me, sometimes the lead singer seems to be very sleepy when he sings in the album and it also makes me wanna sleep zZZZZZ... I can't help feeling bored by the musical arrangement too. I just can't get why the Strokes are rock-and-roll saviors like some magzines(NME?) call.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 26
It's all just opinion man. Some of the most respected bands from their decade are groups I can't stand. Right now, there are a few bands around the area I live that are hitting the big time, and all I hear from people around here is how great they are. Sounds like noise to me.
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 26
They were briefly very popular in 2001 when debut album "is this it" came out, but their star faded quickly and follow up album was not nearly
as good. I rarely see them mentioned anywhere now.

I do agree with your basic point that they were never that great/original to warrant the massive hype in 2001, but I have both albums and enjoy this style of music. Interesting to see 10 years from now where they will historically fit into the grand scheme of things.

Still I would rather see this type of group be hyped vs some American Idol winner or no talent rap artists that dominate USA music scence now.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
They were briefly very popular in 2001 when debut album "is this it" came out, but their star faded quickly and follow up album was not nearly
as good. I rarely see them mentioned anywhere now.

I do agree with your basic point that they were never that great/original to warrant the massive hype in 2001, but I have both albums and enjoy this style of music. Interesting to see 10 years from now where they will historically fit into the grand scheme of things.

Still I would rather see this type of group be hyped vs some American Idol winner or no talent rap artists that dominate USA music scence now.

Well maybe I am too used to British rock like Travis, Coldplay, Blur, Radiohead and Manics. I guess that's why the style of the Strokes ain't my cup of coffee

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 26
"Travis, Coldplay, Blur, Radiohead and Manics"

Unless you're only listening to one carefully-chosen album by each band (anything by Travis, they all sound identically dull, Parachutes, er...Parklife?, The Bends and Everything Must Go), you've just covered quite a lot of very different styles there. I wouldn't say you're used to one style of music, I'd just say the Strokes suck
biggrin.gif

Actually, I saw them live at Leeds festival in 2001. The hype about them was just ramping up, and they were moved from the second stage to the main stage at *very* short notice. I spent half their set looking at the program trying to work out who the hell they were, then the information sorta percolated through the crowd. It was the first time I'd heard them, and I thought there must be some sort of mistake...this was the future of rock? Please. They suck, always have, always will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Interpol and Longwave are far more interesting NY rock bands. Franz Ferdinand got the same hype the Strokes got but actually *deserved* it. I confidently predict their third album will be marketed to hell and back, will sell approximately three copies and they'll sink into the ignominy they so richly deserve. I can't wait.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 26
I find them boring too.

The singer is some important media guy's son (can't recall who it was and can't be bothered to google it), and I seem to recall the other band members were from "high society" too. Could explain some of the hype.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 26
Worthless band, private school rich kids with connections. All you need to know is that the lead singer, Julian Casablancas is the son of John Casablancas, owner/operator of the phoney Casablancas modelling agency (you may have seen their ads or cattle calls at the local mall), one of those shady operations that cheats vulnerable people out of their money by promising to make them "professional models". They make them pay for photos, consultations, and representation, under the misguided belief they will be on the cover of Vogue. No one, no matter how ugly is turned down, they tell everyone they can be a star, so long as they pony up the dough.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 26
My how the worm has turned........I am tempted to use search feature and find couple threads here where everyone was effusive in thier praises of this hot new group The Strokes. I specifically remember Dusty Chalk among many others singing thier praises.
k1000smile.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 26
heh, here I am back in March 2002:
Quote:

I've been around the "alternative rock" scene since the early 80s when it was known as "New Wave". There is nothing new in what the Strokes are doing.

Granted I have only heard "Last Night", but color me unimpressed. They splice the beat from Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" to velvet underground guitar strumming. The lyrics are meaningless, the singer is hopeless and has no charisma, and the song is boring after 5 listens. Zero originality; all aping of styles with nothing to say.

Get Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" or dig up a VU best-of if you want to hear what the Strokes are trying to do.

Got it about right, I'd say.
orphsmile.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 26
Mark
I found a couple of those 2001 threads, I was pretty critical of them initially:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Well I tried the Strokes Cd and didn't care for it, and sold it in 1 hr on half.com for $2 less than retail! I realize this a "slacker" type band and they are intentionally trying to be "lo-fi" but I thought sound quality was very dissappointing.

Also entire CD of 11 tracks is less than 36 minutes. I recently saw video on MTV, hope they didn't pay someone money to make that. Sorry but I feel this band is severely overhyped. Perhaps
someday they will live up to it........got long way to go IMO.

I actually like them better now than then after a few more listens.
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 26
Wow, no love for The Strokes, huh? C'mon, they're not THAT bad. I enjoy both of their albums from time to time-- neither gets spun regularly, but if I'm in the right mood either one of them can be very enjoyable. I actually prefer Room On Fire.

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 26
The Strokes are kinda like a sub-genre of alternative. Many other bands fall into this like the White Stripes for instance. Low end recordings with distortion being a big part of their sound.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers SQ were also bad on just about all the cd's I own of them. It is beginning to irritate me. I must be getting to that age
280smile.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 26
no love here for em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back