Am I the only one to think Pink Martini GREAT??
May 6, 2007 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ricmat

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi recently heard some stuff from Pink Martini (Amado Mio, Brazil) and I just loved them! I bought both albuns from them, and I am astonished!

With a pair of decent HP somethings just overbright. They have very good records and very very good sounds. Does anyone share my opinion?

Cheers!

May 9, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 29
I discovered them on Amazon today while searching for Jazz and I was diggin their sound just after a few samples. Definitely gonna order "Sympathique" and their latest album "Hey Eugene".

x2 on Pink Martini

May 11, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 29
bump

May 11, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 29
Really?? thanks man! do mean it! i'll try to hear smt from them asap!

i really love PM sounds!

(wainting for hey eugene!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 11, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 29
The Paris Combo write up on AMG

Quote:

The French based Paris Combo was formed in 1995 when the trio of Belle Du Berry, Francois-Francois and Potzi (who'd all been performing together) were joined by David Lewis and Mano Razanajato. An unlikely meeting of varying cultures combined in the formation of this acoustic group -- two French members, vocalist du Berry and drummer Francois, Australian trumpeter Lewis, Madagasgan bassist Ranzanajato and Mediterranean guitarist Potzi. Collectively they combine several styles of music like cabaret, gypsy, and swing jazz and inject them sparingly with Latin rhythms, Spanish guitar and on rarer instances with Asian and Mid-Eastern motifs. This esoteric melding of cultures and musical influences yields a hybrid that, while it relies on retro sources, comes across as neither contrived nor forced. Du Berry's flitting yet commanding voice lies somewhere between that of Edith Piaf and Anna Purnell. Potzi's guitar playing combines the gypsy styling and swing of Django Reinhardt the warm intonations of Joe Pass and the rhythm of Charlie Christian. Lewis' frequently muted trumpet recalls the swing and sweet bands of the ‘30s and ‘40s. He also doubles on piano which enhances the jazz effect but the diversity of Paris Combo prevents any strict categorization. Their debut Paris Combo was released in 1997 followed by Living Room in 1999. Both were released on the American, Tinder Records label and both retained the same personnel. Attraction was released in 2001 on Polygram.

May 11, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi recently heard some stuff from Pink Martini (Amado Mio, Brazil) and I just loved them! I bought both albuns from them, and I am astonished!

With a pair of decent HP somethings just overbright. They have very good records and very very good sounds. Does anyone share my opinion?

Cheers!

No, you are not alone, I've liked them for years ever since I attended a concert of theirs in Portland, they are great.

Enjoy,
W

May 11, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 29
Paris Combo is pretty good but if you are really liking Pink Martini for their sound, style and China's vocals you will definitely want to check out Pepe & The Bottle Blondes and maybe Si*Sé.
eggosmile.gif

May 12, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 29
heard some Paris Combo now, out of my MS-1 they sound quite decent too, really enjoying Living room!
biggrin.gif

but i have to say that i'm quite impacient to see their new album! i've been listening their demos available on their site and they just sound... completely amazing!
smily_headphones1.gif

(just love dosvedanya!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 12, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 29
Thanks Wakerider! yes, that's what i', feeling! I guess my gf is just getting jealous for my love for China! Really love that voice!
biggrin.gif

Once more, thank you so much for your advices! I'll shure look into them asap!
biggrin.gif

do you have any particular advice about their albuns?

Cheers!

May 13, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of talent. Fresh every time I see them perform.

Yup. Saw them live at a New Year's bash in '02. They were fantastic and I've been a fan since.

May 14, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 29
yeah! exactly!

I would love to see them in a concert, but u dont think they are coming to europe soon, do they?...
frown.gif

May 14, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Wakerider! yes, that's what i', feeling! I guess my gf is just getting jealous for my love for China! Really love that voice!
biggrin.gif

Once more, thank you so much for your advices! I'll shure look into them asap!
biggrin.gif

do you have any particular advice about their albuns?

Cheers!

The album I linked to "Latenight Betty" is just amazing and I never get tired of it. Thier more recent album "Pambrosia" is just ok IMO compared to the other one.

Although this is a pretty different style you may really like The Ditty Bops if you are a big fan of female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back