Am I the only one to hate K81DJ?
Nov 29, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's unfortunate that these cans have to be modded to sound good to many of us but for the price that many of us have gotten them for (~$55), they're still a great value. we also have to remember that these were designed as DJ headphones so strong boomy bass is required. the short amount that is required to either bluetak the cups or recable is imo, worthwhile.

or do both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it should be mentioned here that much of this hobby is about personal preferences...yes, people can spew forth frequency graphs and specs, but it boils down to personal tastes. if someone doesn't like a certain headphone, amp, etc., then why should i care? if i like it, shouldn't that be all that matters?

anyway, i own the k81dj and thought they were okay when i got 'em...the bass was way too boomy, it's tight, and the cord is way too long. but since i got them recabled, two of my gripes are now gone. they have also loosened with use. they are, IMO, great cans for the money...but with the caveat that i think they need to be recabled to truly sound good. my 2 cents.

im curious kugino, did you ever try the recabled ones unamped? how do they sound?

do they actually lose bass as opposed to the bluetak mod which gives it character?

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #48 of 57
I've not heard this phone, but I'll throw this out. Perhaps the k81DJ is source and context dependent? That is, for commuters on the train/subway/bus who plug into an iPod (notoriously weak in the bass department), maybe the k81s sound great and and aren't perceived as bass heavy at all.

OTOH, someone who plugs into a really nice home system (or a headphone amp) would naturally find these phones unsuitable for anything but slammin' rap. (There are some who think "rap music" is an oxymoron, but I won't go there.
biggrin.gif
)

I'll admit that I was swayed by all the hype and had these phones on my wish list, but it looks like the cheap sources are drying up and these can no longer be found for $55. Plus, word must be out on the street because they've been sold out for weeks at Buy.com (plus a price increase) and Amazon. The cheapest I could find was $69 at Musicians Friend.

Anyway, I appreciate the negative comments I've read, which balance out the fanboy love in other threads.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #50 of 57
This is a damn good phone for the money. They are dj phones afterall and you need to hear the bass lines Over the sound system to cue the tracks. They work well for portable use and have no competition, apart from the hd25 at 5x the price if you can get them for $46.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how whenever there's a HUGE amount of support for a headphone, and then a few people come out with negatives, people automatically assume the negatives are 100% the truth, when headphones are subjective anyway. I can assure you, completely, that the K81DJ shares NOTHING sonically with the MDR-V700DJ, being intimately acquainted (unfortunately with regards to the Sony) with both headphones. Even the MDR-V6, which is a MUCH better sounding "version" of the Sonys, is still significantly more bassy than the K81DJ. It's all a matter of taste. Some people think the K501 has enough bass. Some people don't think the DT770 Pro has enough. Completely changing your mind about something because of a couple bad reviews (one of the early comments in here being from someone who's apparently never heard the headphone) is a bit closed-minded. I'll bet if someone posted a thread saying 'Am I the only one to hate the MDR-R10?' and six people agreed, the new forum consensus would be that the headphone was horribly overrated.

After several months of listening to my K81DJ's with widely-differing music and amps, I would have to agree that Meyvn has nailed it.

My initial reaction was one of huge disappointment with these phones. As a certified bass-head, I was/am/still astonished at anyone who describes these phones as boomy/bassy, etc. Meyvn is right. The bass in a Sony V6 blows these away. For that matter the KSC75 blows them away, too.

However, decently amped, they reveal a detail that's astounding. They have a miraculous soundstage for a closed phone - something I've never heard before. The combination of the deep/wide/fluid soundstage with very good isolation is something everyone deserves to experience - it's not very common, perhaps singular - certainly at this price.

As for the bass - not boomy or punchy to my ears, but it reproduces more notes. Let me explain that: upon repeated changes from KSC75 to the K81DJ with the same passages of music, it's a fact that the K81DJ will play lower bass notes - <50Hz - that the KSC75 completely ignores.

Without amplification, it's impedance is still 32 ohms, which puts it well within the realm of portable power. It's not as efficient as a Grado, but out in public with the isolation - it doesn't have to be.

I confess that I am truly a convert. The AKG offers enough of a unique headphone experience compared to other brands, that I am now busily comparing price points on their higher-end models as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #52 of 57
Try listening to Neko Case's "Blacklisted." Not a sterling quality recording, but you can feel the bass down to your toes with this CD. At the same time, no boom. Also - uncanny soundstage - there is some head-centering for most passages, but certain instruments sound as if they come from the other room. All told, an outstandingly unique combination for a closed headphone at this price.

My only criticism is that the highs can be somewhat granular and a little harsh, depending on the source. That's very little to have to overlook for a pair of headphones at this price. Even the headband has loosened up for my big head now.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #53 of 57
I think these phones are basically designed for bassheads like myself. They are dj phones afterall.

Try listening to "Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing" on them and just wait for that evil bassline to kick in at 2 min mark
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
awesome feeling
cool.gif
. Too bad it makes you almost puke when you hear it at a rave and you just drank a litre of water ahaha.

Or "Photek - Age of Empires"
eggosmile.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how whenever there's a HUGE amount of support for a headphone, and then a few people come out with negatives, people automatically assume the negatives are 100% the truth, when headphones are subjective anyway.

I'll second that.

Some people are *very* eager to post. Especially if you manage to read the 'K81DJ' thread <phuu> then you can see some (very frequent) posters first raving about how good they are and then later in the thread (equally frequent) whining about how bassy they are and about the clamping force on their precious heads. I mean I can understand if you change mind over time but going from the best to the worst is just plain ridiculus.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #55 of 57
They're very accurate in the midrange, just slightly rolled off in the highs, and have that big old fat bottom down below. What's not to like? The build quality is amazing for $60. I think they look very cool to boot. The bass may be exaggerated, but it's exaggerated pretty far down, unlike the KSC35/75s where the bass hump protrudes up into the male vocal range. I think they're great, and the most "fun" headphone I own.

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After several months of listening to my K81DJ's with widely-differing music and amps, I would have to agree that Meyvn has nailed it.

My initial reaction was one of huge disappointment with these phones. As a certified bass-head, I was/am/still astonished at anyone who describes these phones as boomy/bassy, etc. Meyvn is right. The bass in a Sony V6 blows these away. For that matter the KSC75 blows them away, too.

That can't be right. The bass on KSC75 is nowhere near as strong as K81DJ. I mean there is no comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back