Am I the only one the Grado Y just never sits right for ?
May 21, 2006 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ozshadow

500+ Head-Fier
No matter how many times I turns the cups, that dang plastic Y just never sits right. When I lay down, it likes to flop up under my chin or mouth. I do not get that super tight pinch it has. Thats my one and only comfort issue with Grados

May 22, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 21
Yeah thats kind of the way it is.

The lack of strain reilief always worries me, although Ive never had a cable failure at that juncion.

Garrett

May 22, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 21
your not alone.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 21
Mine is fairly untwisted when done right, but I'm always paranoid about whether one of the cups is twisted or not
smily_headphones1.gif
I've gotten pretty good at keeping it straight though.

May 22, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 21
I really wish that Grados would have some sort of screw mechanism where the metal rods attach to the plastic holders, in order to hold the cups in a certain position. I like the Grado sound sig. alot, and I think they look fine, but the design from a functional standpoint is always getting on my nerves. I keep wanting to buy a higher end Grado than what I have, but I am deterred by the idea that I will pay x amount and still have to deal with the annoying cable, unless I want to pay x more for a recable.

May 22, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
Mine is fairly untwisted when done right, but I'm always paranoid about whether one of the cups is twisted or not
smily_headphones1.gif
I've gotten pretty good at keeping it straight though.

I suffer the same paranoia. I have another one too:

More than once a day I inspect my pretty yeller 414s for any errant hairs that might find their way through the foam and trigger a classic case of "Grattle"!

So.....no twisted cables, and very clean Senns pads!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 21
It's not just you, it's the only part about Grados I hate. Never thought I'd ever have a headphone recabled....

May 22, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 21
I used those as portables for a while and one lead came loose at the Y (I need to send them back one of these days). Yes it is annoying.

now that I look back I can't believe I used those as portables all that time, considering how big and open they are. Went from those to PX-200s and now I am about to take it to the logical conclusion by getting CK7s.

May 22, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann
I used those as portables for a while and one lead came loose at the Y (I need to send them back one of these days). Yes it is annoying.

I've seen this too, bought a pair of trashed-out SR-60 that had gone intermittent on one channel from being twisted too many times. Sent them back to Grado for repair, and got a new pair sent back. Total cost for new SR-60's: $47. Now, I'm pretty careful not to let those wires get twisted.

May 22, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 21
I never have a problem with it, however it takes a lot of care to keep it that way. Step one of my normal ritual for using a pair of Grado headphones is to gently uncoil the cable, and make sure that both cups are in the 'home' position (IE: cords leading to the 'y' are not twisted at all).

With that said, I certainly wouldn't miss the 'y' junction. I think it is a pretty poor/dated design. Also, some sort of locking mechanism to cure the free-spinning cups would be greatly appreciated as well.

May 22, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 21
When I take mine off, I always just spin both cups downwards 90 degrees and set them down like that. I haven't had any twisting issues since. I was thinking of marking a little line down the wires that would make it obvious what the untwisted orientation is though.

May 22, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
When I take mine off, I always just spin both cups downwards 90 degrees and set them down like that. I haven't had any twisting issues since. I was thinking of marking a little line down the wires that would make it obvious what the untwisted orientation is though.

That is precisely what I do. Then when I pick them back up to put them on again, I rotate 90 degress in the opposite direction.

May 22, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 21
That's exactly what I do when I set mine down as well: works great!!

In addition; when I place my cans on the hanger, I do so in exactly the same manner each time.

Exactly!!

.......same thing during the transfer to the noggin!

Then again, maybe by luck I got an unusually good set of wires!!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back