Am I the only one...? re: Ipod line-out
Mar 16, 2006 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

muckshot

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I got myself a decent line-out connector for my 5th gen Ipod today and spent a bit of time listening to various reference music I use to test out equipment. I'm using the 5th Gen Ipod (Lame encoded V0 VBRs and FLAC thanks to Rockbox), cardas cable, PA2V2 and a pair of Beyer DT770/80s.

So after a few sessions, I must say I don't hear any audible difference in the sound when I switch between the headphone jack and line out jack. I really wanted to, but I just don't hear it.

I know that the 5th gen headphone out is generally considered to be superior to former models s/a 4th Gen Ipod Photo, but I've read countless times that the line-out delivers superior sound, including the 5th gen.

I'm especially interested to hear from people who have conducted blind, volume attenuated tests. I may ask my roommate to help me out with one tomorrow and if I do, I'll update this thread.

SO WHAT'S THE WORD ON THE STREETS!?

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 55
I should be recieving my sik Imp cable sometime this week, I will post my findings. I bought the imp mostly so I dont have two volume controls when connecting it to my nakamichi head unit in my car. I also wanted the charging capability while in use.

I have the radio remote and both my friend and me find the ipod connected to the Nakamichi (through the remote) totally blows his Iriver H320 (connected through the line-out) to dust. The ipod sounds so much more lively and full, with great bass definition, while the iriver sounds lacking and thin. All files are mp3 with either 192 or 256 encoding. I am sure I will get hate messages about this, but there were three of us there and we all thought the same.

I am wondering how the ipod and sik will sound connected to my Portal Panache integrated and tannoy speakers
580smile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 55
Yes, I really love the sound of my iPod. The only ones I would consider as an alternate to it are any of the Sony HiMD players, the Kenwood HD30GA9/HD20GA7, or the Vision:M, though I have yet to hear the latter two.

I don't notice any difference between the line out or headphone out, but I'm only using SR120s and I'm not a huge audiophile.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 55
get turbodock ..and you will know

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
get turbodock ..and you will know

Stupid question, do you have to use an amp with Turbodock or can you plug your cans straight into the turbodock?

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 55
On the 5th gen, the line-out difference is noticeably less apparent...but there is still an improvement if you use a low impedance headphone.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
Stupid question, do you have to use an amp with Turbodock or can you plug your cans straight into the turbodock?

You can plug your phones straight into the line-out, but --> !!! ONLY !!! <-- if you get yourself something like the shure line-attenuator dongle. You may blast your ears otherwise. The discussion truly is whether the line-out is any better than the headphone-out on iPod, so whether all the line-out business is worth the trouble. I for one will give it a very serious test once my Black Diamond arrives.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 55
You can plug your phones directly into the Turbodock, but it will be very loud as you cannot control the volume from the iPod w/Turbodock connected. The Turbodock is made to be used with an amp and sounds quite nice BTW..

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus

The line out needs to be plugged into an amp whether you use a turbodock, pocketdock or sikdin etc. It's a fixed level output. Though someone did say they plugged an inline volume control and used that instead of an amp but I think that's a bit off the recommended path so to speak.

Steve

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 55
It is important to control the volume on the headphone out on the iPOD 5G when you do the SQ comparison with the line-out. Apple fixes the line-out at 0db and that corresponds to 90% volume level on the headphone out.

Here is the setup:

I played lossless WavePack files on Rockbox. Volume was set at 0dB and EQ was off.

[1]. Line-out:

Line-out --> Sik ram din --> Xin SM3-V3 --> Sennhesier HD-600/Koss KSC-35

[2]. Headphone out:

Headphone out --> Canare IC --> Xin SM3-V3 --> Sennhesier HD-600/Koss KSC-35

I repeated the same tests on the same set of music files in 320-kps on Apple's firmware.

I hear no SQ difference in headphone out and line-out.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 55
you all must have AMAZING ears to be able to actually hear the difference that the Turbodock makes given the fact that there is an amplifier introduced into the signal path as well.

I keep thinking about a turbodock and a Xin, but, frankly the bloody 5g sounds pretty darned fantastic straight out of the box !!!!

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 55
Many people find it hard to accept until they themselves hear a difference between docks,cables,sources etc.

Remaining a sceptic is fine but believing everyone is fooling themselves that there is a difference is a bit conceited, as is the opinion that if you cant hear a difference then you have bad ears!

It's just practise and familiarity with equipment and music that eventually brings it out.

Or is it ...................
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 55
so is the general consensus that the turbodock impact vs. headphone out into amp is non existent on the 5g? I know 4g most ppl say turbodock makes an improvement...

$30 (CDN) for a diff i MIGHT or MIGHT NOT hear is pretty pointless then

I plan to get the new ipod 6g when it comes out - wonder how the headphone out vs. line out will be like.... I guess I'll hold out my turbodock decision til then....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back