Am I the only one...? re: Ipod line-out
Mar 17, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #31 of 55
The difference has more to do with the impedence of the headphones you're using than it does the iPod or the dock you're using.

See ya
Steve

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Which one?

I'm using a Turbodock, the black edition
smily_headphones1.gif
Nice little connector.

Didn't have to do any blind tests yet, but I must say that after a listening session last night my rig sounds pretty damned good.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenleaves
I have not ruled out a SQ difference in both. I believe there will be a SQ difference but just that it is so insigificant that I have not detected it in my listening.

I have pointed out in another thread that the Redwine mod could possibly make a significant SQ difference by physically replacing the caps and other stuffs along the signal path up to the line-out. But that is a very different story involving hardware changes. In the end you still cannot bypass the internal amp in the usual sense for better amp stage outside, and the iPOD EQ remains functional in the line-out.

Ok, so who's gonna crack their Ipod open to settle this... better believe it won't be me, haha

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
Ok, so who's gonna crack their Ipod open to settle this... better believe it won't be me, haha

Well I for one don't need to as the difference, although not huge, is still something I can clearly hear. I am quite critical with my listening though and am used to detecting these kind of differences when demo-ing hi-fi components. Anyway, I'd probably end up breaking it! As one of the previous posters pointed out, the SQ differences are very likely to be due to different internal components in the signal path (capacitors etc).

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by divad68
I notice a clear difference in SQ between using the headphone out and Apple's Universal dock, both through my Hi-Fi and via my X-can v3 into sennheiser HD650's. The top end via the line out appears less 'gritty' and more refined to me. Given that the Universal dock is apparently not a 'true' line-out (you can adjust the volume via the ipod) I decided to buy a Sendstation Pocketdock, but for some reason that sounds worse than the headphone out. I've now ordered a Turbodock, hoping that it will offer an improvement over the Universal dock.

I too have a 5G 60GB iPod and the Universal Dock, and you're right: the Dock isn't a "true" line out since you can still use the iPod's scroll wheel to control volume, as well as apply EQ settings to tailor the sound.

What's confusing is that I also have the recently revised Griffin iTrip for dock connecting iPods (the one with an LCD that attaches to the bottom, and not the even newer one specifically made for the Nano). What's interesting is that when the new iTrip is attached, you cannot control the iPod's volume. The volume is fixed. This is totally unlike the line out from the Universal Dock. It even gets more baffling: when the iTrip is attached, the iPod's EQ settings can be changed. This is something you can do to the line out signal from the Universal Dock.

My Turbodock is in the mail; I should be getting it in a few days. So I'm curious to know what all of this will mean: will my Turbodock indeed get a "true" line out from my 5G iPod? And it seems the iTrip is only getting it half right regarding a signal from the dock connector: the volume is fixed, yet you can still hear the EQ settings.

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #37 of 55
I just wanted to let you guys know that I recieved my sik imp today and hooked it up in my car. Here is how it is connected:

Ipod 30g 5G > Sik imp (line out) > audioquest mini 3 (1m) > directly into my Nakamichi cd400 aux input. I have MB Quart speakers.

I had the system hooked up before using the radio remote and it sounded good, I hated having two volume controls though.

Using the sik the sound is wow amazing, I had a friend listen to it and he could not believe it was my stupid ipod putting out this awesome sound. I love also how the voume does not work now on the ipod with the sik, and the car charger is very nice also.

I really cannot say anymore on how great the ipod sounds with the line out.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #38 of 55
The analog Line Out which comes out from the likes of the Sik, Sendstation and Turbo *is* the headphone out at a certain volume.

The radio remote and the universal dock is a lot more interesting. I have no opinion at this moment whether they're better or not. Something is not right with the way I'm pre-testing the universal dock and I need to get it right.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The analog Line Out which comes out from the likes of the Sik, Sendstation and Turbo *is* the headphone out at a certain volume.

The radio remote and the universal dock is a lot more interesting. I have no opinion at this moment whether they're better or not. Something is not right with the way I'm pre-testing the universal dock and I need to get it right.

Yeah, that thread about the new Apple remote has unearthed some interesting stuff. I'll be paying close attention to developments as they come in. That new Denon dock sure looks nice too...

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Yeah, that thread about the new Apple remote has unearthed some interesting stuff. I'll be paying close attention to developments as they come in. That new Denon dock sure looks nice too...

You're right - If I ever invested in a nice home dock for my ipod instead of this dongle, I'd pony up for this-

den_asd_1r_big.jpg

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #41 of 55
well its not a 5th gen as in the debate here is a nano cracked open
nanocircuitboardbig6wd.jpg

IMHO I notice a difference, if it is a placebo so be it
icon10.gif
Also I like it for the shear conveince of not having to set the volume on the Ipod to 75 percent, one less thing to mess with.

Also I was thinking if the volume is not jacked up through the roof, wouldn't you be saving battery power (well it may be slight, who knows) Anyone with a nano can appreciate any improvement to battery power.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #42 of 55
Wow... I was in the same argument (in my head) about headphone jack and turbo dock...
I think it sounds EXACTLY the same and i ended up using the headphone jack, less stuff to carry around

PS:::: I GOT MY EAR CANDLED
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Ok, so I got myself a decent line-out connector for my 5th gen Ipod today and spent a bit of time listening to various reference music I use to test out equipment. I'm using the 5th Gen Ipod (Lame encoded V0 VBRs and FLAC thanks to Rockbox), cardas cable, PA2V2 and a pair of Beyer DT770/80s.

So after a few sessions, I must say I don't hear any audible difference in the sound when I switch between the headphone jack and line out jack. I really wanted to, but I just don't hear it.

I know that the 5th gen headphone out is generally considered to be superior to former models s/a 4th Gen Ipod Photo, but I've read countless times that the line-out delivers superior sound, including the 5th gen.

I'm especially interested to hear from people who have conducted blind, volume attenuated tests. I may ask my roommate to help me out with one tomorrow and if I do, I'll update this thread.

SO WHAT'S THE WORD ON THE STREETS!?

I too have a 5g and PA2V2, and there is a big diff using the line out vs the headphone jack. By the way ----> http://www.AudioLineOut.com
I can offer a reduced price for my fellow Head-Fi members.

I just got a XIN SuperMacroIII and am waiting for a Portaphile amp, hope to make some conclusions soon.

KB

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 18, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #44 of 55
Just to clarify on the theory (on the 5g ip-od):

so y'all saying if I externally amp both the head and line outs and match the source/amp volume, they'll pretty much sound the same? Cause I amped the h.out with my sr-71, and it sounded like what I'd expect the line out to sound. (from reading posts and prior experience with other portable line outs) Course, that doesn't really mean anything.

Yes, I write somewhat incoherently; and no, I don't know where I am right now. Thanks.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #45 of 55
I did the line out vs headphone output comparison via a PocketDock/SuperMacro and SuperMini combination with a variety of headphones when the 5G iPods arrived. I'm satisfied that I personally hear no difference between the outputs, and I no longer use the PocketDock.

Feeding the headphone output directly to a SuperMini-III Velcroed to an Agent 18 case makes for a much tidier package. A 6-inch Cardas cable loops perfectly around the SM which I use to drive either an SA5K with a 30-inch cable or a DT880.

As if this weren't heretical enough, I most often crank the SM's volume to full and control the system volume with the more convenient iPod controls--and I still can't hear an appreciable difference. But honestly, even if I could hear a difference, the SQ would have to be noticeably degraded before I'd be willing to forego the convenience of this setup. IMO, the KISS principle often makes audio-life much less irksome. YMM--very well--V.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back