Am I so bad in identifying sound quality?
Dec 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 571

Quote:
If you only knew man lol. I'm listening to 24/96 flac right now and the cd flac versions of these songs suck A$S in comparison. So much more air, resolution and life in these tracks.

Having compared FLAC version to 320kbps MP3, couldn't find any appreciable difference.

Probably you got the super sensitive ears.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 571

Quote:
Having compared FLAC version to 320kbps MP3, couldn't find any appreciable difference.

Probably you got the super sensitive ears.

That could be it (the EX1000s were sibilant demons to these ears lol). Or it could be my setup which is also making it very apparent. My modded denon 5000s (now Open-back cans) are extremely revealing. If you use a bad recording it will make it sound really, really bad. If you use a good recording you get an oasis of music in your head.

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 571

Quote:
That's true that the OP is listening to the same track. However, I find some higher end IEMs less forgiving of the track quality. The W3 for example, exposes all the faults in a poorly recorded track like no other, whereas the conventional earbud or lower end models may not. It "smoothes" over the track and in turn, they sound better than a less forgiving IEM that reveals everything bad about the track. 

agreed with that :)

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 571
Thanks everyone for the input. I may give a try on some other brands to see the difference in SQ. But after trying the EX600, I appreciate more the $5 headset and just feel everything is right with the sound. Even the remote works with my iphone 4s.

So my understanding is the good IEM's will work better on playing the lossless files. As for the burn-in, there didn't seem much difference after I used it intensively for about a week.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 571

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. I may give a try on some other brands to see the difference in SQ. But after trying the EX600, I appreciate more the $5 headset and just feel everything is right with the sound. Even the remote works with my iphone 4s.

So my understanding is the good IEM's will work better on playing the lossless files. As for the burn-in, there didn't seem much difference after I used it intensively for about a week.

Another note I would also like to say about your experiences is that although the EX600s are higher quality, you may prefer the sound signature of the earbuds (cause they sound better to your ears).  This is normal as a lot of people don't like the really quality analytic stuff...  Also, your music you were listening to (classical) does require more midrange which is something your earbuds do really well (cause they are earbuds, they will show more midrange over bass, and at times treble).  Classical music does sound better with better midrange and since the EX600s have more bass (but generally more balanced), they will be perceived as worse for classical (which isn't wrong, but not right). 

My suggestion, try something like an Etymotic for classical to hear a bigger increase (maybe something like the HF5's mid-range focus will be more suiting for you).  Another suggestion is to test out tips for the EX600s (that came with it) to ensure you have a good seal if you haven't already.

*Note, I do agree that audio quality and seal do make a difference. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 571
Thanks for the explanations and suggestions. I tried all of the tips included in the package and none of them really fit my ears very well.

Quote:
Another note I would also like to say about your experiences is that although the EX600s are higher quality, you may prefer the sound signature of the earbuds (cause they sound better to your ears).  This is normal as a lot of people don't like the really quality analytic stuff...  Also, your music you were listening to (classical) does require more midrange which is something your earbuds do really well (cause they are earbuds, they will show more midrange over bass, and at times treble).  Classical music does sound better with better midrange and since the EX600s have more bass (but generally more balanced), they will be perceived as worse for classical (which isn't wrong, but not right). 

My suggestion, try something like an Etymotic for classical to hear a bigger increase (maybe something like the HF5's mid-range focus will be more suiting for you).  Another suggestion is to test out tips for the EX600s (that came with it) to ensure you have a good seal if you haven't already.

*Note, I do agree that audio quality and seal do make a difference. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #23 of 571

Quote:
When I first got my hf5s they sounded dark and lifeless and hurt my ear canal. Today, they're my favorite IEMs I've ever heard and I love listening to them.

What did you do to make them from sounding dark and lifeless to your favorite?

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #24 of 571
Are you sure you're using the right size tips, getting a proper seal? Sorry, but I know you said they were your first IEMs. They destroy earbuds in every category, but it could just be that you don't like the sound-sig, or rather, you want something with the same sound-sig as you're already used to. I bet if you tried something with a more aggressive, bassy sound-sig you probably would get that "wow" moment. I've noticed a lot of non-audiophile types often aren't all that impressed by our audiophile gear. No offense intended of course. Try this song with your 'buds, then with the EX600s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twqtfqGNrP8

Edit - Just noticed you've tried all the tips. Do you really think your ears are SO WEIRD that not a single one of those fits you? The EX series seems to trick a lot of people into thinking they have fit issues. Try this if you get time: http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #27 of 571
I consider my ears to be normal, but I tried very hard to put the tips in. I am sure if I walk around the tips could slip out.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Are you sure you're using the right size tips, getting a proper seal? Sorry, but I know you said they were your first IEMs. They destroy earbuds in every category, but it could just be that you don't like the sound-sig, or rather, you want something with the same sound-sig as you're already used to. I bet if you tried something with a more aggressive, bassy sound-sig you probably would get that "wow" moment. I've noticed a lot of non-audiophile types often aren't all that impressed by our audiophile gear. No offense intended of course. Try this song with your 'buds, then with the EX600s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twqtfqGNrP8

Edit - Just noticed you've tried all the tips. Do you really think your ears are SO WEIRD that not a single one of those fits you? The EX series seems to trick a lot of people into thinking they have fit issues. Try this if you get time: http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #29 of 571

Quote:
Thanks for the explanations and suggestions. I tried all of the tips included in the package and none of them really fit my ears very well.

It may be that your ears don't work well with this particular IEM...  IEMs are designed to fit most people, but don't always fit all people.

Quote:

What did you do to make them from sounding dark and lifeless to your favorite?

Maybe got used to inserting the tips correctly?  I know for a fact that insertion depth with Etymotics is crucial.  Too shallow and you get no bass and it's too bright.  Too deep and you actually can create a vacuum that literally kills sound travel and make it dark and lifeless... 

Quote:

^^Brain burn-in.

Some sound signatures are acquired tastes.

Although it's possible it's brain burn in, the only times I've heard my Etys dark and lifeless is when I insert them too deep and create a vacuum like area in my ear.  Burn in of the Etymotics really isn't too noticeable in the first place, the only thing that happens is that the treble thins out a little (which would make them more lifeless if anything, but still full of life).

Quote:
I consider my ears to be normal, but I tried very hard to put the tips in. I am sure if I walk around the tips could slip out.
Thanks for the info.

You're having fit issues, it's probably the reason why they don't sound right.

Quote:
Do you mean just getting used to it?

Since this is your first IEM, it's a possibility that you haven't learn how to insert the tips to get the best seal...  Try using this small tutorial by Etymotic (although it's made for etymotic, it works for your IEM too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwXEqe6Gq4

What he means by brain burn in is that he is referring to the burn in phenomena that may happen to different headphones over time.  Although there is no guaranteed evidence that it does happen, people get mixed results with this phenomena.  Brain burn-in is a theory about burn in that hasn't be proven, or disproven yet. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #30 of 571
Have they ACTUALLY slipped out on you, or do you just think they will? You are wearing them over the ear, correct? I only ask because I let a friend try my EX600 and he wore them down LOL.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back