Am I paranoid or is there really something wrong
Apr 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

caravanapalace

New Head-Fier
Hey!

I think I am cursed; not sure if in a good or a bad way, but I can really tell any slight difference in sound balance and I always have problems with that. I have Sennheiser IE80s for almost one year now, I am extremely satisfied with them, however, last month the right piece went quiet. I sent them to retailer and after 4 weeks, they have sent me them back, repaired. Meanwhile, during those 4 weeks, I bought myself Creative EP-630 as a temporary solution. Right of the box the left piece was quieter, but I just couldn't be arsed to go back and ask for an another pair, I've just changed balance on my Cowon J3 for the time being. After maybe a week, they got burned in and balance was ok. 

So, after my IE80s got repaired, I noticed that this time, left earpiece is SLIGHTLY quieter. It is noticeable in low tones, sometimes in vocals. But, if I switch sides (L in R, R in L), it's the same thing. So I concluded that my ears are not working properly, so I went to an audiologist, again. I was there 3 times totally, I got the same results everytime - my ears are working perfectly. 

Now, I am not sure if I should send them back to retailer again, especially if they have just came back, the difference in balance is just slightly noticeable and as I said, if I switch sides, it's the same thing. The weird thing is that those Creative earphones are working flawlessly and my ears are working as they should according to audiologist. 

Isn't there some sort of test how to tell if headphones are not working correctly? I am really desperate. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Are you saying that even when you switch out left and right, it is your left ear that sounds slightly lower? If that is the case, you may have the left nozzle or port resting against the bend in your ear canal - sometimes when I have my phones in, one side is lower than it should be even when I have a great seal - I have to pull out a bit on the phone and the sound returns - it is just being blocked by the bend. Now if you are switching left and right and the sound switches as well - then it is your headphone.

Also - this is becoming common - another member sent in a defective IE8 or 80 and the unit was repaired instead of replaced. He was in the Netherlands. Can I ask where you are located?

Cheers

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Hello, I saw your post and it is relevant with what I have been going through with my V-Moda M100's. I did alot of research on this topic and there are multiple factors that causes this, first of all I found that the human brain generally interprets speech better through the left ear and rhythm better through the right ear. Also, like everything else on the human body, we generally have dominant parts, so in my case i believe it is my left ear. Lastly, it could be that you're so focused on there being a problem that it has caused you to actually create an issue when there really isn't one. I fixed my problem with this by simply clearing my mind and focusing on something else, like emails, until my brain got used to the way it sounds. Hope I helped!

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Okay I guess I am paranoid. I let my mother to pick a random value on Cowon balance (-10 to 10) and I tried to tell if the balance is all right. I said that right one is louder, yet, she picked -2, so it doesn't make any sense. I am from Slovakia by the way, the retailed told me that they have sent it to an "authorized service". 

// Alright, I am about to explode. When I focus on something else and ask myself after a while on which side the bass is stronger, my first thought is that it is ok, or maybe on left. But once I close my eyes and focus a bit, I then have an impression that it is on the right. Does anyone have god's number? I'd like to report a bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back