Am I nuts?
Jun 14, 2008 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kipman725

500+ Head-Fier
Although I don't change things my setup sounds very different at different times of the day to me. At the moment it sounds like the most amazing setup ever and I could listen all night. Sometimes however I find myself dreaming of upgrades because all the music sounds so lifeless that I can't get any enjoyment. My setup is: Soundblaster 24bit > Speaker Amp with 120ohm impedance headphone out (using resistor network) > HD650's
so my setup is pretty HI-FI so should sound awsome at all times. Is this some kind of psycological thing?

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 8
That actually happens to me sometimes, but I think its cause I'm in a bad mood or had the volume up higher unknowingly. But when I really seem to notice a "change" is after I take a shower and put on some music with my Grado's everything seems to sound much clearer. Maybe I have some sinus problems and the shower steam helps it I'm not sure.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Your power line will probably have varying quality from morning to night, with the best (cleanest) power at night, personaly i have not experienced any changes i could reliably trace back to that but many people say it does make a difference.

Also of course the state of mind your in and the state your body is in plays a huge role. Being realy tired music music has often sounded amazing to me, to a point i stayed awake until falling asleep with the phones on.
When you're relaxed it will always sound better.
I would say the psycological aspect is the most important factor in your case

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 8
YES!

I get the same thing. Sometimes I listen and it sounds all 'meh' or I can't focus on the music, and other times it sounds incredible.

IMO it sounds best late at night when I'm slightly tired.

Oh and BTW, upgrade that SB 24-bit or get an external DAC ASAP! I have one and it sounds TERRIBLE. It will be a major bottleneck in your system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your power line will probably have varying quality from morning to night, with the best (cleanest) power at night, personaly i have not experienced any changes i could reliably trace back to that but many people say it does make a difference.

Also of course the state of mind your in and the state your body is in plays a huge role. Being realy tired music music has often sounded amazing to me, to a point i stayed awake until falling asleep with the phones on.
When you're relaxed it will always sound better.
I would say the psycological aspect is the most important factor in your case

Ditto on all of the above.

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 8
I notice the same thing.
It might be caused by on or several of the below factors:
* Clean or noisy power line (more noise in daytime, when machines etc. are running).
* Your state of mind (stressed, relaxed, ..).
* The state of your gear (cold, warmed up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back