Am i not an audiophile?
May 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #16 of 195
No, you're not an audiophile, you're an audio-enthusiast. Just like me. I value really good audio but it doesn't mean I gotta be very critical listening to. If I want detailed bass, I pick the Amiron Home. If I want soft treble while bass is there too, I pick the the Amiron Wireless. Those two headphones seem to be perfect for movies and gaming and music too of course. Audio-enthusiasts can love bass like us but the question: which bass? Bloated bass? Balanced bass? Excessive bass? If you like it, you like it. If you hate it, you'll slam it.

I’m also very sensitive to treble. Good hearing? And the lower volume is right as I want to keep good hearing.

I had a set of Grado SR80’s and had to send them back as the treble was too much.
And being sensitive to treble probably means you're sensitive to sibilance? Like the very strong "hiss"? I used to not like my DT880 and now it's one of the most favorite headphones. Although I heard the DT990 is an ear-nuking headphone.

IMHO 'audiophile' is a never-ending discussions and will result in a fight for literally no reason. Having expensive equipment is either pretty much not worth it or either useless but it comes down to your needs.

May 17, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #17 of 195
I think there are people I would assume to be 'gearphiles' and they like to get stuff just for the sake of having them around, and to show off to others. I believe see a lot of that on audiophile forums. They love to show-off the most expensive stuff they got before anybody else to feel better about themselves in someway (to show off to people that are not able to afford or prefer to spend money on other things that much more deemed worthy)? And you get a sense it's not about the sound they are after. I find this immmature and childish (reveals some physiological issues), but it goes on I'm sure. So, audiophile world isn't some really romantic looking place, but full of differing opinions and egos.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #18 of 195
I think there are people I would assume to be 'gearphiles' and they like to get stuff just for the sake of having them around, and to show off to others. I believe see a lot of that on audiophile forums. They love to show-off the most expensive stuff they got before anybody else to feel better about themselves in someway? And you get a sense it's not about the sound they are after. I find this immmature and childish (reveals some physiological issues), but it goes on I'm sure. So, audiophile world isn't some really romantic looking place, but full of differing opinions and egos.
Totally agreed. It's stupid and totally unnecessary and those only proves to the others they're in need of attention(?)

May 17, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #19 of 195
Sony is one of the few companies that do bass right... Try Sony MDR-Z1R, audiophile headphones with amazing bass. If it's too expensive, Sony MDR-Z7M2 is also a very good option. If you want a Sennheiser, Momentum 3 is really good for bass. Fostex TH-900/610/TH-X00 are also very good choices for audiophile quality bassy headphones.

May 17, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #20 of 195
Being an “audiophile” or audio enthusiast shouldn’t be controversial. The only controversy is from those with big egos and closed minds. We all hear things differently and like different types of music. There is inherently a huge subjective factor to this hobby. There is nothing wrong with high-end expensive equipment, but price doesn’t necessarily make something better. None of my current IEMs have broken into kilo buck territory, but I’m also wanting to get the Sony IER-Z1R someday.

Then again, the law of diminishing returns is also a huge factor, and spending $2K on a set of cables just makes me shrug my shoulders and shake my head. :face_palm:

May 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 195
Being an “audiophile” or audio enthusiast shouldn’t be controversial. The only controversy is from those with big egos and closed minds. We all hear things differently and like different types of music. There is inherently a huge subjective factor to this hobby. There is nothing wrong with high-end expensive equipment, but price doesn’t necessarily make something better. None of my current IEMs have broken into kilo buck territory, but I’m also wanting to get the Sony IER-Z1R someday.

Then again, the law of diminishing returns is also a huge factor, and spending $2K on a set of cables just makes me shrug my shoulders and shake my head. :face_palm:
Yeah, I've been made fun of that about $2k here on this forum but won't tell his name. I remember exactly who and that guy had a huge ego too.

Having the Fiio 10K here and it does a pretty good job. Wanted to get the iFi Zen DAC or K5 Pro but they were out of stock. The biggest that makes a different are the headphones first and then other stuff as second. I never have broken the 1k buck territory but Klipsch Heritage HP-3 is on my list. But regarding the IE-ZR1, the in-ears are so unconvincing and I have the issue they fall out. Doesn't have earbuds/in-ears have the sounds that are more in your head? The over-ear headphones gives the sound of you're in the room.

May 17, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #22 of 195
You are right CTR640. I dislike sibilant in headphones. T’s and S’s.

I call a spade a spade so if i didn’t like say the HD800’s etc I wouldn’t be ashamed to say it. Audio is a strange thing. I remember watching a YouTube video and hearing the opinion, if there was THE system and THE set of audiophile headphones we would all buy the same thing and that’s that. The rest is opinion and preference.

May 17, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #23 of 195
What an excellent conversation! You all make a lot of great points, and gives people important things to think about. Sometimes people tend to get far too swept up into the hobby and lose themselves in it. For me, I was simply on a search for a nice sounding headphone that met my requirements for sound. I found it with the JVC SZ 1000's. However, after 4-years, my hinge snapped, which was very unfortunate! Then through popular recommendation, I ended up getting the V-Moda LP2's, and I am happy with them as well. Since these cans are metal, hopefully I don't have to worry about hinge snapping in the future.

And yes there are other things to worry about in life, like the current situation in our country. There are people out of work, people who have families and children to care for. Some people are getting financial assistance, while other's are losing their homes. Of course those are among worst case scenerio's. The worst thing that has happened to me recently other then my hinge snapping in my JVC's that is, is that I broke my scooter, and a replacement part is not available at this time. Another one of those unfortunate things caused by Covid-19 I think, with shutdown of manufacturing and all that.

So lots of things to worry about other then headphones. But I will admit, for those of us who are staying at home quarantine, having a pair of headphones that sound good, is kind of important lol. Someone on here mentioned that they listen to their can's while mowing the lawn, its that motivation that keeps you going till the yard is done lol. For me, I can't deal with cords that could get snagged on while doing physical labor outside like mowing and weed wacking. So I listen to my classic rock radio station on a pair of 3M hearing protectors with built in radio and bluetooth. Do they sound as good as my V-Moda's? Heck no! They only have 40mm drivers running on an op-amp, even my Cowin E7 Pro's sound better with their 45mm drivers.

But if I kill my hearing with a lawn mower running 95DB, then I can't hear that sweet sweet bass I love so much with my V-Moda's later, and that is a problem. Can you tell I am obsessed with bass? HAHA :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 17, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #24 of 195
So lots of things to worry about other then headphones. But I will admit, for those of us who are staying at home quarantine, having a pair of headphones that sound good, is kind of important lol. Someone on here mentioned that they listen to their can's while mowing the lawn, its that motivation that keeps you going till the yard is done lol. For me, I can't deal with cords that could get snagged on while doing physical labor outside like mowing and weed wacking. So I listen to my classic rock radio station on a pair of 3M hearing protectors with built in radio and bluetooth. Do they sound as good as my V-Moda's? Heck no! They only have 40mm drivers running on an op-amp, even my Cowin E7 Pro's sound better with their 45mm drivers.

But if I kill my hearing with a lawn mower running 95DB, then I can't hear that sweet sweet bass I love so much with my V-Moda's later, and that is a problem. Can you tell I am obsessed with bass? HAHA :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I find the new portable audio age to really help with solutions to mundane tasks. It's not always music I listen to when I'm doing mindless tasks or out and about by myself. I usually listen to Podcasts, and it helps pass the time, and I think it's especially useful for tasks like mowing the lawn as I really find it a chore as well. It sucks in the high heat. While you are gardening or farming they can be useful.

One thing I was curious about with mowing the lawn is, does ANC headphones help or highly isolating iems like Etymodics help? Which would be better suited to reduce the loud lawnmower sounds?

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 195
It is all personal. Love music, it is a true pleasure. The craftsmanship of gear is beautiful. It is amazing that you can find gear to match your preferences, whatever they are.

I have experienced plenty of headphones (cheap or expensive ones) that didn't do it for me. That is OK. Options galore. Find what works for you and enjoy your music however you like. Labels ("bass-head", "treble sensitive", etc.) are only helpful to help navigate towards what works even more for you.

May 17, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #26 of 195
I love music. Sony guy from day one almost. Walkman, Sony hifi and some panasonic. Sony MP3 and then iPod with sony headphones.

You seem like an audiophile to me.

After a new friend impressed me with his hifi i looked at audiophile headphones as its a personal experience for me. Late night and family these days...

So i got the HD600's and amp etc. Flat, bass like poo hitting the floor. Then the M50x because i saw headphones and amps would be for my personality a money pit. Loved the detail. Mind blowing in fact but no excitement for me.

Nothing wrong with this. Just because everyone raves about HD6xxs, doesn't mean you have to drink the cool-aid. We all hear different. You seem more honest than some that claim $1K cable provide a life changing experience.

Got myself (theme) Sony XB900's from the extra bass line and i'm in head subwoofer heaven. Haven't touched my M50X's since. When the power hits that's what i like. I sampled many others from Sony, Bose including the QC's and XM3's etc even Beats models. I have studio 3's for the car they work fine.

Do i just not get it? Am i just a music lover? I think of a home TV theater and what these flat sound profiles would do to a movie? If we were in our cars with ear bleeding detail (treble) happy? Or the warmth and power?

You're fine. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy. Just stay honest to yourself and don't claim to hear things you don't, take reviews with grain of salt, and avoid falling into the hype. Too much snakeoil, personal bias, placebo, and ego in this community.

What's an audiophile anyways?? It's mostly people chasing after gear and true appreciation of music takes a back seat IMO. More like "gearphile' if you ask me. Also, too many people think $$$$ makes them a "better" audiophile or give them the right to judge <>. Oh and those so called "trained ears" always makes me laugh.

It's all about the music in the end. If you have to A/B to hear subtle differences, is it really a difference? Our ears are amazing at adjusting to different sounds. Of course if you can afford them all within your limits, by all means......

May 17, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #27 of 195
There are plenty of "audiophile headphones" that have bass that pounds.

May 17, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #28 of 195
One thing I was curious about with mowing the lawn is, does ANC headphones help or highly isolating iems like Etymodics help? Which would be better suited to reduce the loud lawnmower sounds?

All I can tell you, is my 3M 90542-3DC is basically hearing protection muffs with a radio and bluetooth built in. It can pick up all your local radio stations and allow you to choose which station you want to listen to, or you can connect bluetooth to your phone, and listen to whatever you want on there. I forget their noise reduction rating to outside sound, but it has excellent isolation, cause their designed to cut out outdoors sound. Let me get you a link.
3M Worktunes

May 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #30 of 195
You are all a supportive bunch.

That is one of the reasons why I like this site, especially during these rough times. I don't think anybody deserves to get roasted in here except for Dean Martin, if he came back from the dead that is LMAO. I was brought up by an older generation, so thats why I know who that is. I should post a link to Dean Martins roast. Dean Martins Roast And now, it didn't happen 5-years ago, try the 1970's lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back