Am i not an audiophile?
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #181 of 195
Just in case this thread bites me in the butt later I’ll clear up here.

Do I still love my XB900’s? Sure. But after this thread I had thoughts of my HD600’s but didn’t want to re buy. I got HD599’s. Straight into my iPad no worries. Sound way better than they should. Got them 50% off retail sale SE’s. Then I again though of my HD600’s and the glorious detail. So I got a bought but used a couple of times set and a Q1 MKii also used but mint.

I apologise. The HD600’s sound glorious. The XB900’s sound fun. I can on occasion talk no sense. Thank you. :)
Don't get the 600 unless you get the BH Crack. For those that find 600 boring, BH Crack is worth a try.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #182 of 195
Agreed. I have some headphones that I really love and they are connected to my phone, Fiio E10K and even Samsung mp3 player which is old (which I don't really use anymore). I'm really amazed how good these headphones sounds and the comfort is superb too! I won't consider myself as audiophile, more like audio enthusiast. It depends on my mood and which sound signature I want to pick the headphone.
In your case, the term "audio enthusiast" is probably a new headphone away from an "audiophile". :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #183 of 195
Based on some people I talk to in the hobby, it seems like some people get the item to be one to have the item? This makes no logical sense to me, and this is the definition of gear-philes. Audio equipments are for serving a function, and it's about performance.

I do admire people that enjoy music for the content. Not being about the gear, and appreciating the content is a good position to be.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #184 of 195
At least in the 2ch audio/speaker world, you must have at least taken out a second mortgage or had a divorce, that were directly linked to supporting your “passion”, in order to truly call yourself an audiophile. The HP world isn’t too far behind.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #185 of 195
Based on some people I talk to in the hobby, it seems like some people get the item to be one to have the item? This makes no logical sense to me, and this is the definition of gear-philes. Audio equipments are for serving a function, and it's about performance.

I do admire people that enjoy music for the content. Not being about the gear, and appreciating the content is a good position to be.
This behavior is prevalent across most hobbies, I suppose, especially ones that are tech-related. Some individuals buy expensive gear so that they can feel good about their place and rank in the collective. More often than not, these are the same people who will berate others for choosing gear that are the converse of their own, or having the audacity to adopt contrasting opinions.

This is what I have observed, anecdotally, from being an audiophile for nearly a decade.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #186 of 195
This behavior is prevalent across most hobbies, I suppose, especially ones that are tech-related. Some individuals buy expensive gear so that they can feel good about their place and rank in the collective. More often than not, these are the same people who will berate others for choosing gear that are the converse of their own, or having the audacity to adopt contrasting opinions.

This is what I have observed, anecdotally, from being an audiophile for nearly a decade.
And I thought part of becoming an adult is growing out of that phase called teens.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #187 of 195
Don't get the 600 unless you get the BH Crack. For those that find 600 boring, BH Crack is worth a try.
I don't find this true with either the HD600 or the HD650. If they are called veiled is because they're being sometimes compared to the HD800, the Utopias, and other brighter, more expensive headphones. The 600 series is really detailed and has a FR (except subbass) that's enviable IMO. If you find them boring it isn't because they are "slow" (look at their impulse responses and tell me what's slow in the driver), it's because they are rather neutral and present music in a really faithful manner.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #188 of 195

Very true!

Of course I’m being facetious about the amount of money some expect one to spend to be a part of their elite club of “audiophiles”, but that type of elitist attitude is also present in all other hobbies.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #190 of 195
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #191 of 195
I don't find this true with either the HD600 or the HD650. If they are called veiled is because they're being sometimes compared to the HD800, the Utopias, and other brighter, more expensive headphones. The 600 series is really detailed and has a FR (except subbass) that's enviable IMO. If you find them boring it isn't because they are "slow" (look at their impulse responses and tell me what's slow in the driver), it's because they are rather neutral and present music in a really faithful manner.
I don't personally find HD600 veiled, but I could understand if people's first impression of 650 is considered veiled. 650 does take time to adjust the ears, which I found to be the case for my ears. This maybe due to whatever people has been listening to, and general mainstream stuff would be V-shaped responses.

The response of 650 does depend on the amp as well. I think it generally can sound not so effortless and thicker in the mids unless matched up with the right amp.

600 can sound lean compared to 650, and 650 sound thick compared to 600,and that's likely the divide between the people that favor either or. Personally, I like the vocals through 650, and 600 not so much. Instrumentals with 600 however.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #192 of 195

It's since 1972 for me. Some buy for status (from others), status of self (ego), some get the minimum priced object(s) that plays the music they love, others get gear that costs a fair amount to increase the enjoyment of the music they love.

I used to have that "in search of gear" thing made much easier by being a sales man and later an investor. But that's a form of neurosis, along with reading high end magazines and having high end acquaintances. It gets in the way of the music. I pretty much junked that way of doing things in '95, and even more so since '04. I have 1/6 money wise of what I had wrapped up in gear at peak, but have more enjoyment now then back then.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #193 of 195
In your case, the term "audio enthusiast" is probably a new headphone away from an "audiophile". :sweat_smile:
Yeah, not sure what to call myself haha. I mean, the headphones makes a huge difference. I could get a new high-end gear but I'd be kidding myself and wasting money and effort for my needs. That's why I'm not into those gears, I don't value that really. And I'd like to move my headphones so being stuck on one place like my office is not really my thing.

So true! Really sad to have witnessed that. It's totally bs and totally unnecessary too. I mean, what would they achieve? What would they get? A Grammy? An Oscar? Or Emmy? The only one thing they can achieve is exposing themself how immature and childish they are. Solution: don't continue with those type of humans.

And I thought part of becoming an adult is growing out of that phase called teens.
So glad I don't have to deal with young teens anymore and so sad to deal with old teens hahaha

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #194 of 195
Very true!

Of course I’m being facetious about the amount of money some expect one to spend to be a part of their elite club of “audiophiles”, but that type of elitist attitude is also present in all other hobbies.

So true! Really sad to have witnessed that. It's totally bs and totally unnecessary too. I mean, what would they achieve? What would they get? A Grammy? An Oscar? Or Emmy? The only one thing they can achieve is exposing themself how immature and childish they are. Solution: don't continue with those type of humans.
I have a(n) (insert ridiculously expensive item here). You do not. My opinion is more relevant.

Sigh.. this replicates itself across all communities I regularly interact with. It's toxic.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #195 of 195
I have a(n) (insert ridiculously expensive item here). You do not. My opinion is more relevant.

Sigh.. this replicates itself across all communities I regularly interact with. It's toxic.
Exactly. I've been through that with a guy here on this forum after a discussion about an audio cable and I remember his exact name, I won't name him. He said I won't hear any difference with a cable if my system is under $5K and he proceeded bragging rights about his system of over $20K. Rest assured, others participating that thread were supporting me and made fun of that toddler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back